GEC #46 Whaler

This pattern seems as elusive as the TC/NF Barlows.

You start offering 300-400% the dealer pricing like the barlow's are hitting eBay for - I bet that Whaler will be a lot less elusive ;)

Ironwoods are all that most dealers have seen so far, and some dealers went right around the customers and flipped their stock themselves on eBay. So there have been a few there at a bit of a premium.

This is the kind of thing that starts to kill my interest in continuing to collect GEC knives.

I understand their marketing approach, but at some point it's going to backfire when the actual end user/collector says "Enough. Screw this". Obviously, we're not at the tipping point yet where a large percentage of people are fed up. On the other hand, I think we've all seen quite a few folks who would otherwise be interested and spending money on GEC's decide the whole 'raise demand and price with scarce supply' strategy just isn't worth it - especially when they see the profiteering taking place on the secondary market.

This situation is made worse by the fact that some people are buying 3 or 4 or more of certain patterns, selling all but one of each on the secondary market, and thereby depriving other end users/collectors of the opportunity to purchase at normal retail.

I've got one of each of the Whalers on reserve, but if my order doesn't come through, or if these trends continue out of control, I will likely be done with them myself. It's sad the way it's playing out, and who is profiting - and I'm not talking about ethical dealers, either. They must have a reasonable profit in order to make a living and stay in business - we all understand that.

If this is the wrong forum for this post, please tell me where to start a new thread. And please don't suggest W&C!

... some dealers went right around the customers and flipped their stock themselves on eBay. So there have been a few there at a bit of a premium.

I have zero issue with the more popular and rare gec patterns fetching big bucks on the secondary market. I've only been into gec for a short while and it hasn't been too terribly difficult to land a couple premium patterns for retail. The thrill of the hunt is also part of the fun. Personally if everyone had every single pattern that was dropped then they loose their magic and you have a saturated market with a bunch of blah. That said if dealers are skirting and charging secondary prices for unique models well then gec has a big problem I would think.

This is the kind of thing that starts to kill my interest in continuing to collect GEC knives.

I understand their marketing approach, but at some point it's going to backfire when the actual end user/collector says "Enough. Screw this". Obviously, we're not at the tipping point yet where a large percentage of people are fed up. On the other hand, I think we've all seen quite a few folks who would otherwise be interested and spending money on GEC's decide the whole 'raise demand and price with scarce supply' strategy just isn't worth it - especially when they see the profiteering taking place on the secondary market.

This situation is made worse by the fact that some people are buying 3 or 4 or more of certain patterns, selling all but one of each on the secondary market, and thereby depriving other end users/collectors of the opportunity to purchase at normal retail.

I've got one of each of the Whalers on reserve, but if my order doesn't come through, or if these trends continue out of control, I will likely be done with them myself. It's sad the way it's playing out, and who is profiting - and I'm not talking about ethical dealers, either. They must have a reasonable profit in order to make a living and stay in business - we all understand that.

If this is the wrong forum for this post, please tell me where to start a new thread. And please don't suggest W&C!

I mean, it mostly just sounds like you hate the flippers. I would agree. That isn't on GEC though. I think they make enough knives. If they mass produced knives like case, I wouldn't buy them anymore. I like that they put out a large variety of patterns every year and produce them at the quality that they do. Why would I want a gec that is mass produced and likely poorer quality than what they make now? Because it might stop people from flipping then? Nah. I like the way they are doing things. Flippers are assholes but that's just part of life. Can't let it stop you from having fun and enjoying what you have :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

At long last I receive my #46 Ironwood today. Established GEC dealers are not flipping their knives on ebay.

Last edited:
I don't have an issue with "popular and rare gec patterns fetching big bucks on the secondary market", either.

Here are the things I would take issue with, although it isn't an all-inclusive list:

1. people (flippers) who buy two, three or more of each variety of a popular pattern and then selling them on the secondary market within a very short period of time. With "popular or rare patterns", I am not sure why dealers don't limit buyers to one of each variety? or at most, two. It's not like they're not going to sell out immediately, or almost immediately, anyway!

2. anybody, dealer or otherwise, who diverts new knives from the normal retail channels, direct to secondary market, for the purpose of profiteering

I have zero issue with the more popular and rare gec patterns fetching big bucks on the secondary market. I've only been into gec for a short while and it hasn't been too terribly difficult to land a couple premium patterns for retail. The thrill of the hunt is also part of the fun. Personally if everyone had every single pattern that was dropped then they loose their magic and you have a saturated market with a bunch of blah. That said if dealers are skirting and charging secondary prices for unique models well then gec has a big problem I would think.

I agree that I don't want mass production, if it means lower quality. But if a manufacturer knows there is an 'immediate market' - ie. one that will likely sell out in a matter of hours or days, not months - for say (X+150) knives, based on market research and past experience, then a production run decision is made to produce (X-100) knives, just to drive up price and demand, with the knowledge that many loyal and repeat customers will not be able to obtain one at retail, and that flippers will profiteer immediately on the secondary market, to everyone's chagrin - then that is an issue for me, too. I'm not making accusations or stating that as fact - but I'm saying "IF" then yes, that puts a bad taste in my mouth and will cause me to take my enthusiasm elsewhere.

I mean, it mostly just sounds like you hate the flippers. I would agree. That isn't on GEC though. I think they make enough knives. If they mass produced knives like case, I wouldn't buy them anymore. I like that they put out a large variety of patterns every year and produce them at the quality that they do. Why would I want a gec that is mass produced and likely poorer quality than what they make now? Because it might stop people from flipping then? Nah. I like the way they are doing things. Flippers are assholes but that's just part of life. Can't let it stop you from having fun and enjoying what you have :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

My Ironwood Whaler came in the mail today.

1aDHTdv.jpg

nZO1DOC.jpg

Here it is with a #25 Barlow for size comparison.

eqFWkkX.jpg

And here it is in hand.

NxubABT.jpg

Now, let's not kid ourselves, these behemoths are impractical and a bit ridiculous, but I knew that when I ordered one, and still I wanted to experience the thing firsthand. There are, however, other things about this knife (that is to say, the particular knife that I received) that have left me a bit disappointed. Here's a small list:

There's a strange divot on the pile side of the main blade tang. It looks like a tool mark of some sort. I've never seen this on any other GEC I've owned, and haven't noticed it on any of there other #46's posted here so far.

UHBhevR.jpg

There is a group of scratches in the Ironwood, just above the shield (you can also see this fairly clearly in the in-hand photo above).

1dX6v3b.jpg

Probably most disappointing, though, are the dozens of tiny scratches/marks on both sides of the main blade. These were difficult to photograph (I couldn't capture them in the sunlight outside, so I had to bring the knife inside and take a couple photos). Indoors, they're even more noticeable in person than in the photos. This is pretty bewildering to me, as I've never seen a GEC blade that looked like this. I don't even know what could have caused it, but it's not good. :confused:

(You also get a pretty good look at the divot on the tang in this photo.)

64LcEuQ.jpg

hSa53T7.jpg

I'll also add that the factory sharpening job on this knife might be the worst I've seen from GEC, and that the satin bolsters and shield came with a few scratches on them, as well (although I have seen that before on GEC knives with that finish on the bolsters).

I was really excited to get my hands on one of these, but if (as some have suggested) these comically proportioned knives are produced as a way for cutlers to show off their skills a bit, I'm afraid GEC hasn't done a very good job of it on this one. :(

Now, let's not kid ourselves, these behemoths are impractical and a bit ridiculous, but I knew that when I ordered one, and still I wanted to experience the thing firsthand. There are, however, other things about this knife (that is to say, the particular knife that I received) that have left me a bit disappointed. Here's a small list:

There's a strange divot on the pile side of the main blade tang. It looks like a tool mark of some sort. I've never seen this on any other GEC I've owned, and haven't noticed it on any of there other #46's posted here so far.

UHBhevR.jpg

My first thought is that that divot kind of looks like the mark that's left when Rockwell hardness testing is done. Here's an example I found in this thread:

7562212238_3c5823237d.jpg

Larger image here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/7600188@N06/7562212238/sizes/l/

I could be wrong; just the first thing that came to mind. That doesn't excuse that mark or the other problems, of course. Sorry the one you got was disappointing.

My first thought is that that divot kind of looks like the mark that's left when Rockwell hardness testing is done.
I could be wrong; just the first thing that came to mind. That doesn't excuse that mark or the other problems, of course. Sorry the one you got was disappointing.

You are exactly right. It is my understanding that every Whaler got rockwell tested after heat treat.

My Ironwood Whaler came in the mail today.

1aDHTdv.jpg

nZO1DOC.jpg

Here it is with a #25 Barlow for size comparison.

eqFWkkX.jpg

And here it is in hand.

NxubABT.jpg

UHBhevR.jpg

There is a group of scratches in the Ironwood, just above the shield (you can also see this fairly clearly in the in-hand photo above).

1dX6v3b.jpg

Probably most disappointing, though, are the dozens of tiny scratches/marks on both sides of the main blade. These were difficult to photograph (I couldn't capture them in the sunlight outside, so I had to bring the knife inside and take a couple photos). Indoors, they're even more noticeable in person than in the photos. This is pretty bewildering to me, as I've never seen a GEC blade that looked like this. I don't even know what could have caused it, but it's not good. :confused:

(You also get a pretty good look at the divot on the tang in this photo.)

64LcEuQ.jpg

hSa53T7.jpg

I'll also add that the factory sharpening job on this knife might be the worst I've seen from GEC, and that the satin bolsters and shield came with a few scratches on them, as well (although I have seen that before on GEC knives with that finish on the bolsters).

I was really excited to get my hands on one of these, but if (as some have suggested) these comically proportioned knives are produced as a way for cutlers to show off their skills a bit, I'm afraid GEC hasn't done a very good job of it on this one. :(

Barrett, I got my Ironwood in the mail today as well. I haven't had the chance to really take pictures or give it any more than a cursory once over and some brief handling but I noticed some of the same things that you have noted.
  • The bolsters came with a number of scratches on them.
  • The tang has the same divot that yours does, though this doesn't bother me all that much.
  • The pen blade on mine displays some of the same type of scratching as yours does
  • The main blade on mine is pressed rather firmly against the mark side liner when closed, I have to make sure I am closing it carefully to avoid potential scratches.
Part of me thinks that this is a large knife, easily dwarfing all of the other slip joints in my collection, and perhaps as a result, such issues are magnified. And to be honest, I am not complaining really, just stating my observations.

Some of the things that were notable as positives are:
  • This is a comfortable knife to hold. It is reminiscent of the large modern folders I used to carry before getting into slip joints and it brought back some nice nostalgia.
  • The Ironwood is gorgeous. Again, my example does not have the dramatic flair that many are displaying here but that doesn't make it any less attractive, the chatoyance of the grain is difficult to capture.
  • I like the thin grinds on these, I suspect they will make impeccable slicers.
  • I don't find the pulls to be particularly hard, definitely not unmanageable for me.
This is a knife that I wasn't sure what to expect really, being a pattern that was so different than anything else I had experienced in the realm of slip joints. That being said, I am pleased with it and am very happy to have one in my collection. Will it see a lot of use? Perhaps. Perhaps not.

Time will tell.

A quick picture. I will add more later.

as3xVnS.jpg

My first thought is that that divot kind of looks like the mark that's left when Rockwell hardness testing is done. Here's an example I found in this thread:

7562212238_3c5823237d.jpg

Larger image here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/7600188@N06/7562212238/sizes/l/

You are exactly right. It is my understanding that every Whaler got rockwell tested after heat treat.

Makes sense.

I've been too busy to post pics or chat much, but I recieved my ironwood whaler a few days ago. Didnt notice any of the aforementioned scratches/divots. I'll have to look again.
I thought the wood grain on mine was excellent until I saw others pictures! Seems they all are superb wood wise :thumbsup:

23FA2877-F166-4EF6-96A6-998150F8E280.jpeg 0A7DD444-D320-4DF0-A851-52F8EFE3901C.jpeg I noticed many of the same issues as others. Including the bolster closest to the tip of the main blade when closed is not fully rounded. It is an awesome knife though. It is the most ridiculous knife I think I’ve seen, yet it is still demanding that I sharpen it and figure out a good way to use it. I may just have to go online to get a length of 3 inch Manila rope, and carve a 4x4 into a wooden mallet just to bash this thing through the rope that I have absolutely no use for. Any issues on the finish of mine are easily remedied with a couple different grits of sandpaper.

I'm very pleased with this knife. Crazy thin edge to the main. Amazing thwack snap of the pen. Mine has a Rockwell test punch too, I think it's a sweet addition of character.
B2KJhay.jpg

LTr0c5l.jpg

I really like the IW on these and the satin bolsters.
4nxyeNb.jpg

jOAREjZ.jpg

Here's where it's been since Monday

glOY0fQ.jpg

I call this beauty and the beast.

I've been too busy to post pics or chat much, but I recieved my ironwood whaler a few days ago. Didnt notice any of the aforementioned scratches/divots. I'll have to look again.
I thought the wood grain on mine was excellent until I saw others pictures! Seems they all are superb wood wise :thumbsup:
Replying to myself;
I seem to have a good example. No scratches, centered blades, and no rockwell punch that I saw. I will look more closely...

While I did not see the Rockwell mark on mine I too was surprised to see a few marks and scuffs here and there and pretty much no clearance with the liners. I have had a few other GEC knives with small issues but I guess I had larger than life expectations for the this larger than life knife but overall it does make quite an impression. I really did not expect it to be as unweildy as it is. Hard to open and just not as fun as I had hoped. A great novelty, but if I cannot actually carry it and use it what is the point. I think maybe I am getting too picky as I age and that there really is no "grail" knife.

Last edited:
Back