GEC #77 Medium Barlow Impressions

knifeswapper

Knife Peddler
Since this is a pattern that seems to have a calling to go forward; I would like to start a thread to collect the impressions of those that have one in-hand. So, let me start by giving my impressions now that I have boxed the large majority of them....

The backspring is a pleasant little 5-6 on the pull; which is a nice range. In hindsight, with this smooth of a pull I wish I had gone with a radius tang as to lend to a smooth flow from end to end. But, the bolsters add enough resistance that I am not sure a radius tang would escape being lazy. As these squared off tangs are still a little hesitant and will probably need to be oiled and worked a bit to provide the silky smooth flow that I was wanting.

We went with camel bone because it has a tendency to take the dye in an inconsistent fashion due to widely varying density and I wanted an appaloosa effect. My goal was the old late 1970's Case Smooth Rose type bone. What I got was a fairly consistent dark pink, with near no appaloosa effect.

Originally I was going to do the Rust Red Sawcut in addition to the Dark Chestnut, but opted out since we had the smooth rose. Then, what was suppose to be dark chestnut ended up very close to the antique yellow or antique autumn. Matter of fact the Tidioute #77's are coming out with essentially the same bone and it has a factory name of antique autumn.

The pioneer bone was presented as a replacement when I crawfished on the rust red and it has been very popular in the past. So we went with pioneer bone as the final bone choice, and they turned out really nice. But I will issue a caveat that this bone is really an old rough cut bone with a lot of worm holes and other character. My guesstimate is that 35% of the pieces have a little horizontal worm hole somewhere on them. For me that is a plus, but others may not like that type of character.

All of the aforementioned slabs are true to the factory pictures we have been seeing for weeks; but just thought I would lend some insight to what I was shooting for when I turned in the order. Some of the nicest surprises come when you don't get what you envision; but I will leave that for the end owner to decide. There were a few factory seconds and I have culled some of my own. I have yet to lay hands on the stag, but I supplied it so I have a pretty good idea what is coming.

But I would really appreciate your pictures and impressions.

Thanks Mike. Here's my initial out of the tube impressions. The pulls on both blades is very pleasant (5-6 like Mike said) with good snap both ways. The Sawcut bone looks great with nice mellow yellowing towards the bolster. And the (stamped?) bolster looks fantastic in person. I noticed there is no etch nor do the blades have the typical high polish found on the Northfield line. For me this is a plus as I prefer the less shiny finish sans etch. The blades sit low enough for my needs and the wharncliffe is not at all obstructed by the clip. Typically I'm not a fan of having the nick inside the swedge but this one works well. Overall it's a nice package with two full sized blades. Nice job Mike and thanks for bringing this one to life.
028a01b6f1575720ce8a99cd8640ca61_zps865eab68.jpg

f07714ec606271c223fbdc78b9daadc4_zps0bf57784.jpg

752081528d81d3da5655c630087b3cf9_zpsdfb30c05.jpg

Nice one, Bryan!

I remember you saying you are a fan of the wharncliffe secondary.

Really nice pictures! Looks great! I have to say these pictures have helped alleviate one of my big concerns which was a high riding wharncliffe blade with the clip blade was in use. Relative to most knives I've seen that have a clip and wharncliffe blade this one rides pretty low which I love. The sawcut bone looks fantastic. Can't wait to get my hands on the stag version I have ordered.

"The pioneer bone turned out really nice. But I will issue a caveat that this bone is really an old rough cut bone with a lot of worm holes and other character."

That is great news. Can't wait to get my hands on that and my saw-cut Friday.

This is the perfect frame for two large blades and the warncliff blade is a better choice than a pen blade for me. Nice job Mike!

Mike,

First I would like to thank you for sharing your vision as it relates to the final output. This speaks volumes about your approach (and many other BF suppliers/designers) towards the members of this forum! The openness really makes this feel like a team effort. A less scrupulous owner would find it easy to tell a rabid fan base that everything was perfect and you will love every combination. Hats off to you sir. I am fully aware that many others were involved in designing, developing and producing the knives we enjoy. This is not intended to short change them but simply a high five for Mike.

Secondly, where the heck is my knife? Kidding!! My order is not due yet but the neighbors are starting to wonder why I am sitting in a lawn chair by the mailbox. :)

Curtis

Great pics, I ordered a stag and pioneer bone and can't wait for them to arrive! The bolster stamp looks awesome and I love the fact that the blades aren't polished. Was there a "PPP" etch on the back of one of the blades? These are going to be amazing Mike, thanks for making this happen!!!

Very nice! I'm not a huge fan of sawcut bone that's some beautiful stuff and I would be happy to make an exception in this case.

My tracking # still isn't working so no idea when I'll get my blackwood and pioneer. :(

Mike, this is just a suggestion as I know it costs thousands to do an SFO like this. If you were to make a single blade long pull sheepfoot (or long pull spear) and an EO notch in that saw cut bone, I truly think it would be a big hit.

Thanks again,

Mark

Sound like you're not very happy with the red camel bone. In the workshop pics it looked like there was a wide variation from dark with even darker edges to light pink fading into white in some areas. Is this the case? Or did none of the finished knives turn out as dark as the early pics suggested some might?

Also, I'm not a fan of chestnut but if I had known the saw cut bone was going to end up how it did I would've definitely gotten one. I really like the satin finished sterile blades, that was a great choice. Overall, the run seems to fantastic, I can't wait for the two I got. I'm positive the demand for future Marlow runs will grow to match the Charlow demand. So please keep em coming!

Mike, this is just a suggestion as I know it costs thousands to do an SFO like this. If you were to make a single blade long pull sheepfoot (or long pull spear) and an EO notch in that saw cut bone, I truly think it would be a big hit.

Thanks again,

Mark

Seconded!!!

Thanks again,

Mark

^This, except with a caplifter secondary.

BEEEEERLOW!!!!!!

My impressions? You and GEC nailed it, Mike. Thank you for going through the hassle of bringing these to market. I still have a pioneer bone model coming, but these two (sawcut and abalone) arrived today. Fit, finish, and overall quality are through the roof! I'll let the pictures speak.

20141030_130946_zpsj2kppnay.jpg

20141030_130939_zpsueitudlg.jpg

20141030_130852_zps5vmxnuf8.jpg

20141030_130836_zpsflbia4pu.jpg

20141030_130907_zpsxen972wp.jpg

20141030_130918_zpsmgt7nqqw.jpg

20141030_130859_zpsuetaqnz0.jpg

Thank you again, Mike. These are just wonderful!

Sound like you're not very happy with the red camel bone. In the workshop pics it looked like there was a wide variation from dark with even darker edges to light pink fading into white in some areas. Is this the case?

The pictures of them on the line were before they were buffed to fit. That took most of the dark off. They are really nice, but here is what I was after:

CAML79SR63047NMA.JPG

Thanks again,

Mark
I agree wholeheartedly! I would buy at least 2 without hesitation.
B.

Back