GEC #77 Medium Barlow Impressions

Im looking forward to the camel bone. It will definitely be different that is for sure.

I think it would look great in the recently used smooth blood red bone.

The pictures of them on the line were before they were buffed to fit. That took most of the dark off. They are really nice, but here is what I was after:

View attachment 484941

Oh man, that would've been gorgeous. I'm sure they're gonna be sweet knives - I have one coming myself - but in light of what might've been, I can see why you'd be a tiny bit disappointed.

I saw the pic on the site before ordering and thought that they might be a little too bright for me, but knew that if someone posted a really nice pic of a camel bone, I'd be kicking myself for not snagging one!

If it turns out too bright, I might give it to my wife in hopes that she forgives me for ordering so many knives this year. ;)

Dang, how did Dan get his sawcut bone before me. I just live down the road a bit from Mike. :confused::eek:

I just received Barlow Pioneer Bone today. I have handled it for less than an hour so...

My initial impressions are:
1. It instantly felt like a well built tool. The weight and balance felt good. Subjective, yes I know.
2. The pull on both blades felt similar at about 6-7. Firm without being obnoxious.
3. I like the sterile blade.
4. The bone is slightly textured with one scale less so. I think this is appropriate for Pioneer Bone. It creates a rustic but classy charm. This would not be acceptable for a wood or acrylic scale.
5. I like the fact that the wharncliffe blade does not protrude too high above the main blade. It looks nicely balanced and handles well with the clip blade open.

Wish list
1. I would now like to purchase a 77 Barlow with balanced (symmetrical) stag scales. I think I missed the opportunity to order one.
2. A single blade 77 Barlow with polished stag, or bone. I'd order one.

I posted photos in another thread about the 77 Barlow. Check there for photos.

Curtis

Thanks for posting the great photos, Brian and Dan! The Sawcut Bone really turned out better than I expected it to be by what I am seeing.

I'm still "Awaiting Fulfillment" as is my order.

Received mine today (in pioneer bone). I am very, very pleased with my knife. It feels wonderful in hand. Fit and finish is fantastic. Both blades pull between 5 and 6 I would reckon. Perfect for me. They do however need to guided home a bit when closing. The blades do snap closed though. Just not as snappy as my 85 bullet end jack. I bet snap will improve after I flush out the pivot with oil. Aesthetically it is gorgeous! The blades really compliment each other in the closed position I feel. The wharncliffe in the open position is just down right perfect. The wharncliffe blade is my favorite I must say. It looks like it can really get the job done. Love the bolsters and how they feel between my thumb and index finger. If a single blade version is in the future I would like to see it with the wharncliffe blade.

Thank you Mike!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414711953.216406.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1414711966.412900.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1414711978.830083.jpg

Here is a better pic showing both nail nicks.
a3a14df37541bd955e90eb38911a5254_zpse91680c2.jpg

Brian, Dan and AMDG, just fantastic Barlows!!!

Thanks for posting great pictures:thumbup:

The sawcut bone looks the most consistently great I think. But we still haven't seen Blackwood or Red Bone yet. I'll put mine up tomorrow. Can't wait to see some stag too.

I got my two Marlowes today. ... one in African Blackwood and one in Abalone. First off, I have to say thanks to Mike for having these made. They are fantastic! I never did get to handle a TC Barlow and while I'm sure they are fabulous, I must admit that I am much happier with the 77 Barlow..... Bigger frame and a wharncliffe instead of a pen! Also, I think the bolster looks awesome.
I originally had my name down for a camel bone but backed out due to fears of it being pink.... yeah, yeah, real men wear pink. Whatever. I am sorry that they turned out that way. Mike, that rust red saw cut bone would have been the first to sell out. Instead, I opted for the abalone, which appears to be the red headed step child. This is my first abalone knife and I admit, I love it. Very glad I got it. I think Mike has a thing for abalone as well. Now I understand why.

Overall, it's a home run. I hope you were able to get one too. I posted pics of mine in the 77 Barlow picture thread.

Mail call today!

Impressions on the #77... I love the two full sized blades & the wharncliffe tucks in behind the clip perfectly. I agree with everyone else so far on the pull, it's 6ish with nice snap. No noticeable blade wiggle. I like the lack of etching, it makes me feel like I can use the knife and scuff-up the blade without 'marring' it.

The Pioneer Bone has great character and individuality; it has a very classic, nostalgia inducing feel (for me). The 'dings' of daily use and carry are only going to add to its personality and improve it over time. This one is already in my pocket and looks like it's going to be a regular carry.

The Abalone looks fantastic in the sunlight - I'm irritated that I can't catch its true colors with the camera. However; I wouldn't carry this without a pocket slip or cover. Most likely, when carrying this knife, worry about scuffing the scales would keep me from actually using it. Not my dilemma, this one is going to be a Christmas gift for my father. :cool:

Over the last couple of months I have been purchasing different slip-joints looking for the right size / frame / configuration that would really appeal to me; I think this is it. The fit & finish and excellent 'pocket-able' size leaves me with only one regret: that I didn't reserve a Red Camel Bone, as well.

Quick photos before it got dark outside:

fe4d8ae1-d934-4e2a-9aa0-ce1056dacea2.jpg

999a175d-89c2-47e7-b2be-5e244433972c.jpg

IMG_2402b.jpg

IMG_2401b.jpg

IMG_2400b.jpg

I sort of regret not ordering that pioneer bone, it suits the knife very well. I also agree with your comments that it will look even better as time passes.

Since the other thread I posted my original pics in is closed, I figured I'd post em here, along with a few new ones. Can't say enough how much I like these knives!

Mine is OUT FOR DELIVERY!

How does it feel using the clip with the wharncliffe closed? Is it too wide in the hand?

Mine is OUT FOR DELIVERY!

How does it feel using the clip with the wharncliffe closed? Is it too wide in the hand?

I think it's fine, but luckily in a few hours, you will be able to decide for yourself!

Received mine this morning. Very inpressive knife IMO with no real flaws to be seen. Tight construction, great snap, very nice grinds with a needle tip on the wharnie blade. You would need to spend a lot more money to get anymore in terms of finish or function IMO. The red bone even is mottled a little like Mike envisioned. Very nice covers though I think the stag or pioneer would suit me better. The nail nicks are great and the knife feels very solid in hand compared to the #77 forum knife. The forum knife weighs in at 69 grams while the barlow is almost 40% heavier weighing in at 95 grams or approx. 3 1/2 oz.

imagejpg1_zps04df55e2.jpg

Last edited:
Back