GEC GAW

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by jstrange, Mar 30, 2020.

1. Ron Sabbagh

Ron Sabbagh Platinum Member Platinum Member

Sep 15, 1999
    The Searchers was also John Wayne's favorite movie and his favorite character. It's why his oldest son is named Ethan

2. Prester John

Prester John Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2018
    I bet Buddy Holly liked it too: "That'll be the day!"

chuck4570, jstrange, waynorth and 2 others like this.
  3. scrteened porch

scrteened porch Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 19, 2012
    Great clip.

4. scrteened porch

scrteened porch Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 19, 2012
    Great GAW knife and idea. I'm not in, though. I don't like being the only guy who wants to win for himself.
    That's a slight exaggeration, perhaps.
    Ok, I'm in.
    [​IMG]

5. tmd_87

tmd_87 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 29, 2016
    I remember watching it as a young boy with my grandfather. Also, watched it in a film class in college and the professor further convinced me that it is the best western ever made.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
  6. Prester John

Prester John Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2018
    I believe Ethan was his youngest. One of John Wayne's sons was in the 1952 The Quiet Man. Ethan was born in 1962.

chuck4570, jstrange, waynorth and 2 others like this.
  7. bflying

bflying Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 4, 2014
    Wow, very generous!! I'm in.

[​IMG]

Pinemoon, gaj999, chuck4570 and 8 others like this.
  8. aji1

aji1 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 19, 2016
    How about everyone's favorite singin' cowboy?

gene-autry-billboard-getty.jpg

I always loved Lee van Cleef. In addition to the westerns, I always think of him in Escape From New York. Heck, he even got his own Primus song:

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
  9. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    Not another entry ;) But some knife content is welcome and what better than STOCKMEN

[​IMG]

Didn't GEC release a knife called RANCH-HAND some years back?;)

10. redsparrow

redsparrow Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 2014
    Yes, GEC made a Ranch-Hand in 2013 on the 74 frame.

[​IMG]
    Now back to your regularly scheduled Cowboy programing ;):)

11. Fire Beard

Fire Beard Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 1, 2013
    I never win these things but I sincerely appreciate your generosity. In the lightning-strike chance I should win this contest, this honker would be a field user for me. Here’s a pic of John Wayne, my favorite fictional cowboy. My dad loved the guy and I grew up watching and pretty much worshipping this badass. Congrats to the winner and cheers to you, OP, for your generosity to the porch: the best part of this awesome forum.
    D95A4C7F-51E3-4B60-875F-14E4D664773A.jpeg

12. Boxer .45

Boxer .45 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 11, 2015
    [​IMG]
    Thats me above. ;)

I remember when I was young (70s/80s) and I never understood why my dad and grandpa liked cowboy movies. I watched them but wasn't crazy about movie length ones. Was a big lone ranger fan back then though and it inspired endless Cowboy and Indian games alone and with friends.
    As I got into young adulthood I saw them more e and appreciated them more. There are a few stations on regular tv called WE and GRIT which have all day cowboy shows on now, and as I don't pay for TV I can watch for hours. I watch Laramie, Rifleman, Gunsmoke, Wanted Dead or Alive, and so on, then theres movies on at night. I can't get enough. Honestly thats when shows and movies were good and I don't enjoy the new stuff anymore.

I'm in for the knife. I appreciate the generosity. I may give it to my dad if I win as thats okay.

13. Henry Beige

Henry Beige Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 1, 2015
    Clifton James as cattleman John Brown and Elizabeth Ashley as Cora Brown. This scene contains Elizabeth Ashley’s favorite line.

Please count me in.

14. jstrange

jstrange

Mar 31, 2012
    This is probably my favorite pic ever of JW. Also, all those wondering if it’s okay to give the knife to someone else. Damn straight, it’s your knife to do what you please.

15. tongueriver

tongueriver Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 28, 2007
    This gentleman was an actual cowboy who came north with the herds and lived a few miles from my home in the Wyola, Montana area. Photo taken about 1940. I would really like that knife. cowman, c. 1940, Wyola.jpg

16. Jolipapa

Jolipapa Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Man! that's you Duke Ellington ? :D:D:D

Boxer .45 and Prester John like this.
  17. tongueriver

Dec 28, 2007
    Mary O-Donnell, my best friend's mother, Baker, Montana about 1920. And, yes, she knew how to use that rifle. RIP, Mary. Mary O'Donnell Patton.jpg

18. tongueriver

Dec 28, 2007
    Real people, not movie stars. I bet Pancho Villa punched a cow or two, and old Gusty could do whatever it took in the 1880s, I am sure. c1885 New Mexico002.jpg gusty (Large).jpg Pancho Villa.jpg

19. Bigfattyt

Bigfattyt Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 23, 2007
    I am in!!
    This is me branding a calf... is that cow boy enough?

[​IMG]

Here is one of the knives I had in my pockets. Just in case we needed to cut any of the calves. This time, they were all small enough for the bander, so we did not need to cut any.

[​IMG]

Absolutely sweet prize. I missed out on that pattern, and love the big ones!

I would EDC that so hard!

20. tongueriver

Dec 28, 2007
    This was taken in the Black Hills of South Dakota in the '80s or '90s. He was not posing with extra costumery for the photographer. cowboy (Large).jpg