1. Welcome to the New & Improved BladeForums. New software info here. Please report problems in Tech Support, and read existing threads before posting! - Spark
  2. I've changed the default forum style to Flat Awesome based on feedback. Don't like it? Click here to change how the forums look Feedback on this is welcome here.

GEC made Schrade Fire & Ice Trapper

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by mdsmith, Jul 25, 2012.

1. mdsmith

mdsmith

Jan 7, 2009
    Hey guys. I've been eyeing these Schrade trappers for a while now. Particularly the smaller one in black pick bone. I finally got a few extra bucks together, but I'm hesitant to pull the trigger for one reason. I'm worried that it's going to have one of the infamous GEC " this knife is impossible to open" pulls. Does anyone own one,and if so, could you comment one the spring tension. Thanks.

2. Bigfattyt

Bigfattyt Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 23, 2007
    The pulls on all of mine are firm for sure. I love them.

If I remember correctly, they were probably what I would consider about a 7 out of 10 when new. They are softer than that now.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2012
  3. red05

red05

Aug 19, 2010
    I had one but ended up selling it since the pulls were way too stong for me. It was literally a "nail breaker" as it kept breaking my thumbnail.

4. Boggs

Boggs

Feb 27, 2007
    I own multiplies of the #73, #23 and Prototypes and I'd agree on a 7 pull....a firm pull but no where near a nail breaker.........

5. mdsmith

mdsmith

Jan 7, 2009
    Lol. I thought this might happen. Fine for some, and too firm for others. I guess the term nail breaker is very subjective. Looks like the only way to find out is to order one. What I'm looking for is a good everyday knife, that has enough length and heft to use in the woods for woodworking type chores. This knife looked like it would fit the bill nicely.

6. Flying Guillotine

Flying Guillotine

Jan 2, 2011
    Just remember that you can always loosen up the action a bit by working the blade open and closed. Sometimes I'll sit down and watch a show while working a beartrap snapper with the occasional drop of mineral oil, the results have always been an improvement.

7. mdsmith

mdsmith

Jan 7, 2009
    Thanks FG. I had heard that, as well as leaving the knife partially open for a while, as recommendations for a stiff spring. I was just unsure of how much difference it would make.

8. Modoc ED

Modoc ED Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 28, 2010
  9. Modoc ED

Mar 28, 2010
    This is the knife now (bottom knife) after 10-months use. It is one of the best knives I have. Sharpens easily and holds an edge beautifully. These knives are a bargain. Grab one while they last. I have two of the smaller ones 3 3/4" and one large one 4 1/2". The smaller ones carry nicely in the pocket. I can't say enough about them so I'll shut up - errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr quit typing and show the picture.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 9, 2014
  10. mdsmith

mdsmith

Jan 7, 2009
    Thanks for the pics Mod. Of the colors you gave, which do you prefer. I know sometimes the can look a bit different in person.

11. Modoc ED

Mar 28, 2010
    I like the Black Pick Bone the best but they are all nice. Both of my smaller ones are Black Pick Bone while the larger one is Brown.

12. gruntmedik

gruntmedik Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Here are mine I picked up a while back, because of a post on here. I only wish I would have picked them up sooner, as besides the obvious quality, they are a screaming bargain. They do have a stout pull, but they are breaking in nicely.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. mdsmith

mdsmith

Jan 7, 2009
    Wow man, that red bone is nice looking too !

14. bemo

bemo

Oct 19, 2006
    mdsmith, pm me.

15. Liberando

Liberando Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 3, 2010
    I have one...gotta rank it as one of the best knives I own. Craftsmanship is remarkable. Price was right.

As for springs, not bad at all. A little tough to open at first, but after a week or so, just right.

16. Bigfattyt

Bigfattyt Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 23, 2007
    Agreed with others. Mine are fantastic.

The small gets carried nearly every day.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I forgot my razor on vacation. I was too lazy to go to the store and grab a razor and shaving cream. I also had not stropped the edges in about a month or more.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I liked them enough to order 4. Big and Small for me, and one for each of my boys (the 7 year old can't open one yet, and the 2 year old is a long way off).

[​IMG]

17. 67nick

67nick Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 30, 2010
    I stumbled upon one of the Fire & Ice trappers this weekend and it blew me away, so I had to grab it! This one has really lived up to all the positive forum commentary. The f&f is very nearly perfect, it sits very comfortably in the hand and is a pleasure to carry and look at. The pull is a little stiff, probably an 8 out of 10, but I don't mind it. To me a tough pull denotes quality if a knife is NIB, or close to it. For the price, I am definitely going to go back for a second one in the future.

Sorry for the bad pics, we've got a hurricane brewing down here in FL so I quickly snapped a few shots in between downpours. ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Modoc ED

Mar 28, 2010
    You're going to love it. I have two of the small ones and one of the large ones. I'll be ordering more soon.

By the way - nothing wrong with those pictures at all. Great looking knife.

Keep dry. I lived in Venice on the Gulf Coast for years.

19. rprocter

rprocter Banned BANNED

Jan 19, 2007
    Like others here, i have been raving about these 2 "Fire & Ice" folders for years now. And i agree, i do not own a better GEC knife. Most impressive of all is the construction yielding "flush and square" joints. Gotta go back to the original Remingtons for that (or do the Camillus repros have F&S joints ?). German origin brought to N.A. by a German cutler brought in to work for Remingtom in 1920. (ref. BRL)
    I only have 3 of the big and 1 of the smaller ones left. (traded and gifted a few).
    I like the smaller 3 3/4" one the best. And they sell for $50. Buy all you can get !
    roland

20. ranchmanben

ranchmanben Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 18, 2011
    Pull the trigger! I had one of the 73 size and loved it. The pull on mine was pretty stiff in the beginning, 8 out of 10. The more I used it it better it got. By the time I drank to much and gave it away, it was perfect. Buy one, you won't regret it. This is the only knife I've given away that I regretted it the next morning.

Ben