GEC...Please Make More Patterns Available To Us in 440C...yea or nea ?

OK, so it's no secret that I am a SS lover, and the knives that I do have made from GEC's 440C steel are among my favorite blades. They got the grinds, and they got the heat treat coupled with aesthetically pleasing patterns and handle materials.
So I was thinking that I would post a thread to let us "lovers of the stainless" speak out! I am curious as to how many people will respond to this,
I will post pics of what I currently have in 440C and invite all to do likewise.
My main objective though, is to see what response comes from a prospective consumer base...how many people wish there was more offered in this steel from GEC and GEC alone.

more pics to come...lets see those acorn shields!

Excellent subject for a thread. I confess that although I've owned a fair number of GECs (Northfield & Tidioute), I haven't had the pleasure of trying their 440C yet. The likely reason is that the SS models are few and far between compared to the 1095s.

So, heck yes, I'm all for more 440C, and look forward to trying it out.

Andrew

Didn't everyone already pretty much answer this in the anti-patina thread? Maybe they won't notice the replies over there, so I'll add my vote here.

Yes, please!!! More 440C options! Don't make me choose between the steels and the handles, let me have both options! See what happens if you offer us SS blades with appealing handles, bolsters, and patterns and see what that does for your sales.

Heck yes! GEC, please offer 440C blades on all releases -and toss in some desirable handle scale options. :thumbup:

Although I'm very happy with their 1095, I'd love a #42 (trapper and trader) in 440c, w/stag handles...

Didn't everyone already pretty much answer this in the anti-patina thread? Maybe they won't notice the replies over there, so I'll add my vote here.

Yes, please!!! More 440C options! Don't make me choose between the steels and the handles, let me have both options! See what happens if you offer us SS blades with appealing handles, bolsters, and patterns and see what that does for your sales.

This is exactly my reasoning for starting this thread! To just put it out there in the open and see what response occurs. If you don't ask, you don't get is my thinking ;)

Heck yes! GEC, please offer 440C blades on all releases -and toss in some desirable handle scale options. :thumbup:

Good grief... They already offer about a gazillion scale choices.

The only knife I have owned in 440C is an early Benchmade mini griptilian. It worked really well. It held an edge nicely, was easy to touch up, and even with a lot of hard use, never rolled or chipped, or any other nasty things

The only knife I have owned in 440C is an early Benchmade mini griptilian. It worked really well. It held an edge nicely, was easy to touch up, and even with a lot of hard use, never rolled or chipped, or any other nasty things

Good grief, they do indeed! (except all with 1095 steel blades)

Anybody else notice that the 440C that rolls off the line now tends to come in a generally bland, unappealing wood or bone [an exception was a Scout with American Walnut last year] which does not contrast interestingly with the steel? It was not always this way. My first GEC was a 440C #73 with black micarta scales. Great looking and using knife :thumbup::thumbup:

Absolutely. I'd love to see some more 440C, especially in patterns that it hasn't been offered in yet.

Good grief, they do indeed! (except all with 1095 steel blades)

Anybody else notice that the 440C that rolls off the line now tends to come in a generally bland, unappealing wood or bone [an exception was a Scout with American Walnut last year] which does not contrast interestingly with the steel? It was not always this way. My first GEC was a 440C #73 with black micarta scales. Great looking and using knife :thumbup::thumbup:

I have to think that GEC is willing to listen to their customers. If enough people pushed for 440C, perhaps they would listen.
I know Case has been listening. Many of us asked for more choices with CV blades, and they have been gradually adding more patterns with CV :thumbup:

My love affair with 440C started with the old Bucks, and GEC does a really great job with this steel. It will work hard and can be put away wet without a care in the world. It really is worth a try if there is a pattern available the that tickles your fancy.

My love affair with 440C started with the old Bucks, and GEC does a really great job with this steel. It will work hard and can be put away wet without a care in the world. It really is worth a try if there is a pattern available the that tickles your fancy.

I forgot about the early Buck knives.

Ive got a Buck 110 with a 440C blade that I bought in the late 70s that had been sitting forgotten in a toolbox out in the unheated and uncooled garage, in the humid US south, in its leather belt sheath, for about 20 years. I recently rediscovered it and cleaned it up a bit. The blade is spotless, just like when it was left in the toolbox. So 440C is a fine steel that doesn't need a lot of TLC to stay in good shape.

ive got a buck 110 with a 440c blade that i bought in the late 70s that had been sitting forgotten in a toolbox out in the unheated and uncooled garage, in the humid us south, in its leather belt sheath, for about 20 years. I recently rediscovered it and cleaned it up a bit. The blade is spotless, just like when it was left in the toolbox. So 440c is a fine steel that doesn't need a lot of tlc to stay in good shape.

bingo!!!

Ive got a Buck 110 with a 440C blade that I bought in the late 70s that had been sitting forgotten in a toolbox out in the unheated and uncooled garage, in the humid US south, in its leather belt sheath, for about 20 years. I recently rediscovered it and cleaned it up a bit. The blade is spotless, just like when it was left in the toolbox. So 440C is a fine steel that doesn't need a lot of TLC to stay in good shape.
I have an older 70's Camillus w/ SS that has also stood up very well. It will now be able to be handed down as a usable knife versus the rusted knives I received.

Here's a few acorns for ya!

ElkTrapperMark.jpg~original

ElkCuban.jpg~original

IMG_0263.jpg~original

SW.jpg~original

2ndCutSmoothBone.jpg~original

NobbyRedStag.jpg~original

DarkBurntStag.jpg~original

AntiqueAmberBone.jpg~original

Back