GEC Stag Lockbacks ("Burnt" & "Red" Stag)

DSC00293.jpg

DSC00291.jpg

DSC00290.jpg
this is the new northfield burnt stag lockback by gec. normally i would try to put more than one knife in a pic however these new issues are so outstanding that i wanted members to be aware of the wonderful stag. this was a phone order with no pic other than the generic distributor
photo. he just put anyone he picked up & threw it in the mail. i could not be happier with this knife. dennis

That's a nice lookin' knife,Dennis! How about some specs on that one if you would...?

What's the closed length and the weight (if you have a small scale handy)?

Thanks, brother.

That's as handsome as anything GEC has done. Has a "backpocket" kind of vibe happening...

That is sweet. I guess I'm going to have to break down and buy one of the blue jigged bone lock backs I've been trying desperately to resist. :rolleyes:

Wow, very nice. You lucked out there, Dennis. The stag on that one is so well-matched that I was wondering what happened to shield in the first and third photos. ;)

I have one coming in this afternoon, but I was able to cherry pick the handles with the help of some very good photos at TSA, so luck shouldn't be a factor. I'm always reminded of this "Hamlet" quote when I'm anxiously waiting for something: "If it be now, 'tis not to come; if it be not to come, it will be now; if it be not now, yet it will come..." :p

Thanks for the info. :thumbup:

I hope you enjoy it and it will see some pocket time.

Last edited:
Nice one, Dennis. I've got a red stag one on order. Thought I'd try something different.

This is the GEC Northfield Mini Lockback Hunter with their just released Red Stag handles. The knife is 3 7/8" long with a blade 3 1/8" long. The width of this particular knife is a very substancial 7/8" -- pretty wide for a single blade knife. As can be seen by the first picture, the slab on the non-shield side is 3/8" thick. The blade of this knife is 1095 and is nicely swedged with a long pull nail nick. The pull of this knife is very smooth and has no half-stop. The effort to open it is about a 3 on a scale of 1 to 10. The Red Stag is very nice. All the crooks, crannies, nibs, and nubs add to the stag's appeal.
gecnfminilockbackhunter.jpg

EDITED: Added two pictures to hopefully show more detail of Red Stag.

Last edited:
WOW Dennis!!!!! That Burnt Stag really looks nice and as said above, is very even from side to side.:thumbup:

I just put up a post on my Red Stag lockback.

Looks like those that are trying to decide on which to order -- Burnt Stag or Red Stag -- can get a good idea of what they look like from our two threads.

I kinda had a hunch you'd turn up with the Burnt Stag version of the lockback.:)

Last edited:
Merged the two threads as it will more easily allow forum members to see and discuss the same pattern in two related scale materials.

Been waiting for these Northfield Lockbacks. The ones shown look remarkable! I'm after a jigged bone version, not that I don't like the two stag choices but I fancy a slightly slimmer model. These knives look like a MUST.

I'm after a jigged bone version, not that I don't like the two stag choices but I fancy a slightly slimmer model.

I was kind of surprised myself by the "coke bottle" silhouette in the "red" stag version. I thought that given the weight of the knife (reported above) that the stag would be fitted much more closely and uniformly.

Stag seems to be a very divisive thing Elliott, some like it fat but I'm leaning to the leaner myself these days:D

I was kind of surprised myself by the "coke bottle" silhouette in the "red" stag version. I thought that given the weight of the knife (reported above) that the stag would be fitted much more closely and uniformly.

I was kind of taken aback when I first opened the package and saw the thickness of the Red Stag slab on the non-shield side of the knife; however, after having handled it when taking the pictures and when testing it's sharpness out of the tube, I like the way it fills my hand when using it. I am right handed and that side of the knife is the side that sits against my fingers and the palm of my hand.

I had the Stonewashed Blue version of this knife and passed it on a couple of weeks ago. I've been waiting for GEC to bring this knife out in stag and pounced on it when I saw that my dealer had it.

Whatever else anyone has to say about GEC, it can't be denied that their stag is simply stunning.

I like the color and texture of the red stag but the scales do seem unbalanced. I do agree with willgoy that it is a personal thing. Some like it fat, some like em thin. I tend towards the thin side.

GEC does do the best stag of any production though.

How is the tihckness on yours Dennis? Do the scales balance well?

Another Redhead here. She weighs in at 2.7oz., the action is very smooth with a nice positive snap at both ends and it actually arrived with a pretty decent cutting edge straight from the tube for a change.

GECLockback01.jpg

GECLockback02.jpg

GECLockback03.jpg

GECLockback04.jpg

GECLockback05.jpg

GECLockback06.jpg

Thanks to Greg at TSA for posting decent photos (both sides and edge-on) at his site. :thumbup:

That's very nice Rick. You did a better job of capturing the warmth and glossiness of the slabs than I did. Mine have that appearance too. Your slabs are very even from side to side -- a plus. I think I'm going to order one of these knives in Burnt Stag now that I've seen Dennis' knife.

Back