GEC Visit in September!

waynorth

Dealer / Materials Provider
Some of you have figured out from my other posts, that I had a visit to GEC in late September. They are such nice folks, it is always a pleasure! I believe this was my third time there, this time mostly to discuss an idea for a future project. But it is hard to resist their store, so beside the Fixed Blade I posted elsewhere, I asked Chris Tucker to ship me these fine examples of very nice folders!
Some I thought should be in my collection, but most I will pass along to fellow collectors in our little local club, at cost of course. It is nice to own and study them for a while.
SeptemberGECvisit.jpg

I was also allowed to have a part in numbering a new pattern! One of the staff thought #15 would be a good one for it, for his own reasons, and I found another reason to use #15. Like many of GEC's patterns, their numbers reflect an antique pattern!
I cannot say more, but I will be able to soon, and will let you know A.S.A.P.
I CAN say it won't be a Harness Jack! At least, not yet. . . . . . . . .:D

Last edited:
Hi Charlie,

Thanks so much for sharing these beautifully accurate scans! If I may ask, how do you like the Outlaw copperhead jigged bone? How would you rate the actual jigging and bone/dye job?

Thanks,

Kevin

BTW, I really like mine, but you have so many old knives to compare.

Kevin, one of the reasons I bought the top and bottom knives was to have a good look at the "old school" jigging. They are doing a great job, absolutely great. Just the fact that they try their best to match front and back deserves praise, but the actual jigging and dying really reflects the old time knives. Maybe I'll find the time to compare some, but it will be a while. Too much on my plate these days!
Jake and Jason #15 is not a surveyor or a sowbelly, but I definitely wouldn't rule those patterns out in GEC's future!!
I better not answer anymore questions just yet - 'til I get permission . . . .

Thanks for the info, Charlie. I would love to see some comparisons, and the wait is not a worrie for me. It would be nice to see.

Thanks a lot,

Kevin

Some real beauties you picked up. You sure know how to build up suspense lol. Thanks for sharing, cant wait till you get some time to show us some comparisons. Will be worth the wait I am sure.

What a great time!

I would really enjoy a visit to the factory.

Looks like you picked up some real gems while there too!

Couple of questions.

Is that top example vingate? The bone looks great, like it has had time to age and mellow.

What pattern is the ebony? I don't think I have seen that pattern before? Is the spear blade pinch-able?
Great selection of patters you brought home!

Its a #79 workhorse whittler, I cant pinch it open. Its surrounded by blades on both sides. Very stout knife and highly recommended for heavy use :thumbup:

What a great time!

I would really enjoy a visit to the factory.

Looks like you picked up some real gems while there too!

Couple of questions.

Is that top example vintage? The bone looks great, like it has had time to age and mellow.

What pattern is the ebony? I don't think I have seen that pattern before? Is the spear blade pinch-able?
Great selection of patterns you brought home!
Jeff covered the ebony.
The top two are current GEC (new) knives. The bone is exceptional. GEC "old school" jigging and dying gets better and better!!
Fester, you picked the beauty of the bunch!!

Woo hoo! ...I'm looking forward to the future!

Kevin, one of the reasons I bought the top and bottom knives was to have a good look at the "old school" jigging. They are doing a great job, absolutely great. Just the fact that they try their best to match front and back deserves praise, but the actual jigging and dying really reflects the old time knives. Maybe I'll find the time to compare some, but it will be a while. Too much on my plate these days!
Jake and Jason #15 is not a surveyor or a sowbelly, but I definitely wouldn't rule those patterns out in GEC's future!!
I better not answer anymore questions just yet - 'til I get permission . . . .

I have perused the GEC website, and found a very good clue to the upcoming knife I spoke of. If they are going to drop hints, I think I can answer questions!!
The pattern number will be #15. The pattern also has a name, like most GECs. Like
Ben Hogan, Cigar, Conductor and the like.

Last edited:
Btw, I like the name "Huckleberry".... What knife pattern was used in Adventures of Huckleberry Finn? ...A barlow??

"Huckleberry" was my suggestion when they requested names for their jigged bone... "I'm your Huckleberry" ;)

Btw, I like the name "Huckleberry".... What knife pattern was used in Adventures of Huckleberry Finn? ...A barlow??

"Huckleberry" was my suggestion when they requested names for their jigged bone... "I'm your Huckleberry" ;)

That was too easy! (probably)
Or you are too smart! (hmmmm)

A new Barlow it is!

Last edited:
Chalie,
thank you for your report. I'm curious to learn about the new project you will share with GEC. The last one made me pretty happy :)
As for GEC's upcoming patterns...I will probably let the halfwhit pass, and so for the huckleberry...and wait for the indian girl :rolleyes:

Fausto
:cool:

Back