GEC Visit in September!

I`d like a proper Barlow pattern by GEC very much. I just hope it has the large bolsters, and will be available with a singel blade. I never felt the #25 was a proper Barlow pattern.

You guys have been such good sports with my teasing, I am going to jump ahead with a picture!
This is where we are at right now!!
15patternGEC.jpg

Ain't she sweet??

The bolsters will cover about one third of the length. The blade kicks will be different - no kick on the pen, bigger kick on the spear (probably), long pull on the spear.
The bolster remains a secret, but I know, to a man,and woman, you will like it!!;)

3 1/2" Art. Most traditional Barlows are a tad under 3 1/2", closer to 3 3/8", but it is expensive to develop these patterns, and GEC has a lot of future knives that can be made on this size.
I think the size will be just right. This pattern was modeled after one of the slimmer ones from my collection. It is a near clone of a very old NYK!

Barlows1.jpg

See the third one down, left side! Note, they vary from 3 1/4 to 3 1/2" in length.

5 of those Barlows were made by Queen!

The Barlow, yet another pattern I have never owned. Looking real good Charlie, cant wait to see the finished product. Care to clue us in on the scales? I mean you are being a lot more liberal with the answers now :D

wow that looks fantastic! Any word on blade choice...spear only?

Looks like I better start saving now..GEC is becoming very good friends with my wallet

I gotta keep a few secrets, otherwise, it will be boring!!
We gotta have some fun here!!:D

I will say this - the established traditions will not be neglected!!!:thumbup:

Good night for now!!

Wow... just awesome Charlie...mate... has anyone thanked you for being the kind of person you are?...Im pretty sure they have, but thank you Charlie, you are what a New Zealander would call a TOP BLOKE!

Very nice to hear Charlie. Looking forward to seeing this one come to life. If their are different handles then could their be different blades.....*cough, coping second. cough*

You can never please the masses, we always want more. Guess GEC is not complaining :D

I love the length, 3 1/2 is just about as perfect as it gets for me.

Wow... just awesome Charlie...mate... has anyone thanked you for being the kind of person you are?...Im pretty sure they have, but thank you Charlie, you are what a New Zealander would call a TOP BLOKE!

^^Third!!!

Thank you Charlie, you are the man!

3 1/2" Art. Most traditional Barlows are a tad under 3 1/2", closer to 3 3/8", but it is expensive to develop these patterns, and GEC has a lot of future knives that can be made on this size.
I think the size will be just right. This pattern was modeled after one of the slimmer ones from my collection. It is a near clone of a very old NYK!

Barlows1.jpg

See the third one down, left side! Note, they vary from 3 1/4 to 3 1/2" in length.

5 of those Barlows were made by Queen!

Wow, Charlie. Just wow.

I'd say that I can't wait to see what you and GEC have come up with, but given that I'll have to (wait) I shall bow to reality and try to distract myself in the meantime. While checking for updates. And hoping for more pictures.

Thanks for posting this picture again; I love looking at it.

However, I still wonder what happened to Matt, and if he misses his knife.

~ P.

Matt has never contacted me, P. I hope he has found a new knife to personalize/sign, in the intervening 15-20 years!!;)

Thanks for the compliments, Duncan. I am glad to provide this knifely entertainment. Anything to keep the old traditional knives alive!!

Hi Charlie,

To me, this sounds like a must have. I have no doubt, with you involved, we will end up with a highly sought-after barlow.

I don't understand what you mean by no kicks and much larger kicks though.

Thanks,

Kevin

Here's an updated drawing. The pen kick has been abbreviated in the manner of old cutlery methods. The main blade kick is extended slightly, although it is not as obvious.
Is this picture worth a thousand words??
15drawingb.jpg

I bet this will be a stunner!! Can't wait to see the bolster stamp. Thanks Charlie

:thumbup::thumbup: for swedges and long pulls Charlie! Loving the slimmer profile as well, sign me up!

Hi Charlie, any chance of seeing a single blade Barlow from the fine folks at GEC?

Single blade?

Check!

This first "spear" run will be 50 single blades, and 50 with pen secondaries.

If people like them, a clip blade version will follow.

Back