GEC: where do the different Pattern names come from?

JoKr

Gold Member
Great Eastern Cutlery gives their Patterns names like

Mustang/ Stallion/ Saddle Trapper /Cotton Sampler /Ranch Hand... for the #74 Pattern

some names are more, some are less obvious and deductive.

lets use our collective knowledge, our porch knowledge to get together all what we know about the countless GEC Pattern names.

#68 White Owl named after a Cigar Brand

the #68 Pattern includes small knives (3.50'') with equal ends, straight design, no belly, no curves, no serpentine, not tapered from one end to the other.

#68 White Owl mit eule.jpg#681211  White Owl Burnt Stag (1 von 1).jpg#68 Cigar Brand White-Owl.jpg

Mustang/ Stallion/ Saddle Trapper /Cotton Sampler /Ranch Hand

Well ... "Cotton Sampler" is an old pattern and blade profile that dates back to the 1800's
"Ranch Hand", and "Saddle Trapper" (named such because the handle shape is reminiscent of a saddle horn?) are also old historic pattern names.

My guess is Mr. Howard uses a historical name for a pattern and/or blade combination when applicable, and creates a name for something "new".

Note that on the 36(?) and 46(?) Sunfish/Whaler pattern, the pattern was known by over 76 names, back in the day.
Mr. Howard chose two of the old names for his renditions.
He could have just as easily (and correctly) have called them "British Rope Knife", "Elephant Toe" or "Pocket Axe", among others.

Last edited:
EB0BEB51-89A5-4A89-ACA6-4C6E6552361C.jpeg
And that's where they got in trouble. 🤣

Cattle knives were cowboy tools - a simple Equal-Ender, big enough to carry a few blades in a simple, basic handle! The Cigar nickname is obvious I think.
When a serpentine handle was invented to carry roughly the same blades in a more easily held and pocketed knife, a new name was needed, and the Stockman was born!!

View attachment 1660237

Love the scouts, at least back in my day. I was a scout well into high school as were most of my troop. Lots of great adventures and camaraderie…including tipping a beer or two. Probably why I love the BSK so much! Cheers🍻
Nice BSK collection, Rob!! So many knives wound up carrying the "Scout" sobriquet!!Scout names 1.jpgScout names 2.jpgscout shields old 1.jpg

Yes, He was a Pharmacist but went to medical school and was called Dr Pemberton. Perhaps I should not have used Doc.

congress is an easy one since Lincoln was known to carry one.
Lincoln was carrying one when he was assassinated! The swaybacked Congress pattern carries a sheepfoot blade easily. It came to be known as a tobacco blade, and bigger Congress knives, often with two of those blades (but not this one!), were made for the "plug" tobacco market!!!Congress8dot.jpg

Back