GEC's jigged bone

Mine would've been 'Yew Tree Bark.'

The scratch idea does seem popular...'Backyard Tom-Cat Scratch Pole Jigging':eek::D

I hope they do more than the 62 in that, because it is gorgeous bone and I would love to have some.

Based on customer suggestions, GEC picked a name for this jigged bone... “AUTUMN LEAF CLAWED BONE”

http://greateasterncutlery.net/blog/information/jigging-color/

Hunh. "Leaf" and "Clawed" don't really go together for me, but once again the jigging and coloration are evidently combined in the name...? Or do you think the coloration is "Autumn leaf" and the jigging is "Clawed Bone"? Nah, that would make it too straightforward.

I'm still wondering if this (rather generic) jigging has a name, as seen on Autumn Gold Bone:
6954211338_e37d221246_c.jpg

Has that jigging been used on other patterns/bone?

~ P.

I think "Autumn gold" must be the name for the combination of color and jigging... not sure though. The names of the color and jigging do seem to be separate in the case of "leaf" and "clawed"... unless the leaves in Pennsylvania are more aggressive... In the old catalogs, jigged bone was often referred to as "stag" regardless of the type of jigging.

I think "Autumn gold" must be the name for the combination of color and jigging... not sure though. The names of the color and jigging do seem to be separate in the case of "leaf" and "clawed"... unless the leaves in Pennsylvania are more aggressive...

Hunh. Maybe that's why so many people around here head into the woods with weapons when the leaves start falling?

:confused:

[Between the thought of "aggressive PA leaves" and the Plaid Incident, you've made me laugh twice today. Thanks!]

~ P.

Jake......

Just to answer your question on color and jigging combination...there is no rhyme or reason.......here's an example of three in Autumn Gold #23.#68 and #72

7902897204_bf62a49d8f_b.jpg

Jim, I saw that picture yesterday and was hoping you'd bring it over here, as it does clearly illustrate the either inconsistency or inconsistent constancy of GEC's naming conventions(!). Thanks.

~ P.

Jim, I saw that picture yesterday and was hoping you'd bring it over here, as it does clearly illustrate the either inconsistency or inconsistent constancy of GEC's naming conventions(!). Thanks.

~ P.

Actually, I think it shows the constant inconsistencies. ;)

Hunh. Maybe that's why so many people around here head into the woods with weapons when the leaves start falling?

:confused:

[Between the thought of "aggressive PA leaves" and the Plaid Incident, you've made me laugh twice today. Thanks!]

~ P.

Huh? "Plaid Incident"?? What's that? Don't tell me they are doing plaid jigging!!??

This one is a little different. It is 2nd cut jigged burnt stag, not bone, but because it is jigged I include it here.
It also seems to have the horsecut jigging, though it is not named, per se. Beautiful material.

IMG_0703.jpg

This one is a little different. It is 2nd cut jigged burnt stag, not bone, but because it is jigged I include it here.
It also seems to have the horsecut jigging, though it is not named, per se. Beautiful material.

IMG_0703.jpg

That is nice looking, and very interesting, I don't think I have ever seen a jigged stag handle before.

As was discussed earlier in this thread, GEC changed their bone from 2008 to 2009. The above example of the #53 in 2nd cut is from 2008.
This #12 is in 2nd cut jigged burnt stag also, but from 2009. Completely different look, from the jigging to the amount torched.

2ndcutstag-1.jpg

Just traded Rockgolfer for a "Blood Red Bone" #66 ... I really like the jigged pattern on this one. Traded away a BF2012 to someone else because try as I might I just didn't like that jigging pattern. Is there a thread (besides this one) with detail on what the most common jigging patterns are? The GEC descriptions seem to be more related to the color or the material. Or - are the colors, materials, and jigging all part of the name? Is it possible to understand the naming conventions or should I just climb in and hang on! :D Since my purchases tend to be of the on-line variety I'm going to have to pay more attention to this detail on my next "bone" covered slippie. I will go back and read all of these thread posts to start the education process.

I own 4 slipjoints with jigged bone handles - I'm mostly an ebony and cocobola guy.
CASE CV Amber Bone Texas Jack
CASE CV Amber Bone Medium Stockman
GEC NF Blood Red Bone #66 Stockman
S&M Goldenroot Wormgroove 4" Toothpick

My new all time favourite knife. Thanks Jake. Thanks to Charlie for making this pattern happen.

Best regards

Robin
8196452247_a682ff8cbd.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Yes, Robin that's some exemplar jigging there alright!

GEC show a veery interesting range of jig patterns/colours. This is how it should be.

Thanks, Will

That Horse cut pattern looks very good! To be honest, I have always thought that GEC could do more with their jigging. I like deep random or peachpit jigging.

Back