Gentleman’s EDC

IMG-0603.jpg

Something semi small, more medium, thin and light weight. Like a AG Russell medium Gents Folder or his lightweight zytel utility blade. Or Case peanut. To me, for special occasions or church carry, not my normal EDC.

What makes a "gentleman's" knife varies (size, weight, functionality, aesthetics), but I generally will carry one of the following so I have a balance of what I consider important:

Slim slicers:
Spyderco Chaparral
Real Steel Luna

Beefier cutters:
Small Sebenza 31 - Wood Inlay
Benchmade Mini Bugout - G10 Scales

I may be the only person who feels this way but my CRK Mnandi is a gentleman’s folder. It is not overly large and looks very nice and refine to me. View attachment 1498976

I don't know what the Mnandi would be other than a gentleman's folder. I plan on snagging one of the updated ones when they're available.

Today's carry is the MBK EWC:
DSCF2035-01.jpeg

I also frequently carry the SharpByDesign Micro Evo Typhoon and Protech Sprint:
eyJidWNrZXQiOiAiZmlsZXMua25pZmVjZW50ZXIuY29tIiwia2V5IjogImtuaWZlY2VudGVyL3NoYXJwYnlkZXNpZ24vaW1hZ2VzL1NCRE1FVk9URFBPRG4uanBnIiwiZWRpdHMiOiB7InJlc2l6ZSI6IHsid2lkdGgiOiA3NjAsImhlaWdodCI6IDQxNSwiZml0IjogImNvbnRhaW4iLCJiYWNrZ3JvdW5kIjogeyJyIjogMjU1LCJnIjogMjU1LCJiIjogMjU1LCJhbHBoYSI6IDF9fX19

Protech-Sprint-Auto-Black-CF-SW-2915-BHQ-12207-jr.webp

Newest one in the rotation is a Lil Native with titanium scales.

The Small Inkosi, S35VN Elementum, and Gent have also gone through the lineup.

Last edited:
For a locking folder, I agree with the Mnandi or small Sebenza

But IMHO a “gentleman’s” folder is a nice slipjoint

View attachment 1499019 View attachment 1499020 View attachment 1499021 View attachment 1499022

I agree that a nice slipjoint makes for a perfect gentleman's knife.

I always carry my SAK ALOX electrician for mixed company. Most ppl haven't seen the ALOX SAKs and they find it interesting

An opinel is good too, but they just don't pocket carry well, being round in profile.

A gentleman’s knife should be capable of self-defense or defense of a lady’s honor :) Ultratech, but colored.

I'm going to have to agree with those that said slip joint. Preferably in one of the traditional patterns and typically with premium natural materials. The key attributes being quality, aesthetic and price. These knives are male jewelry in many ways. As gorgeous as many of the knives are here I'm not sure they are really gentlemanly knives. Fortunately everyone elses opinion is just as valid as mine! :)

Also these things are subject to change. 150 or so years ago the well dressed gentleman about town in some parts of the country would not leave the house without his high dollar Bowie knife!

Back