Gentleman’s EDC

USA made Gerber LST. IF you can find one. Or think a case pen knife, Buck Prince and so on. Gentlemen's knives do not have clips and are carried in a gentleman's pocket. They are less than 4" long closed. Light weight is a virtue. Attractive scales/covers are a plus but not mandatory. They can be single blade or multiple blade, either slip joint or locking.

Last edited:
The whole bunch:
4398bl.jpeg

GB2. Thin, elegant carbon fiber grips, M4 steel, excellent slicer. But then, I'm not really a gentleman😁.

The more I collect knives, the more I find myself liking a specific size, weight and style of knife for my EDC. It’s what I would call a Gentleman’s EDC. Handle size between 4 1/4” and 4 3/4” (I prefer Titanium), blade length between 3” and 3 1/2”, handle width around 0.40”, thin blade stock around .090 (only the Spyderco starts with .12”) tapering super thin behind the edge, weight under 3 oz. and a nice deep carry clip for discrete carry. A bonus would be it’s fidget friendly (the Bugout wins here closely followed by the Spyderco). Here are 4 different manufacturers (Spyderco, Quiet Carry, Benchmade and TRM) that use a different approach to make a great “Gentleman’s EDC” What do you consider a great Gentleman’s EDC?

I am in complete agreement with you on: "handle width around 0.40”, thin blade stock around .090 tapering super thin behind the edge, weight under 3 oz. and a nice deep carry clip for discrete carry."

I personally prefer slightly shorter knives that are short enough to fit well in a fifth (coin) pocket, preferably without a pocket clip, without being too short to get a full 4 finger hammer grip (i.e., Mini-Bugout, Drift). For light use, I don't find that I need anything larger.

I will also add that highly conspicuous brand billboarding is a non-starter for me.

Last edited:
All the William Henrys I’ve handled are more like jewelry. My wife made me give them back to the salesman :(
Beautiful!
They cut like knives. Their ZDP is awesome. Go out w/o the wife and trade for it.

I may be the only person who feels this way but my CRK Mnandi is a gentleman’s folder. It is not overly large and looks very nice and refine to me. View attachment 1498976
I'm also an advocate for a beautiful, well done slip joint as being some of the best gentlemen's knives, the CRK Mnandi embodies the idea of a gentleman's knife to a "T" in my opinion. I don't own one yet but they are extremely beautiful.

All the William Henrys I’ve handled are more like jewelry. My wife made me give them back to the salesman :(
Beautiful!
This has been my EDC for over 20 years, so it’s fairly practical from a longevity stand point as well as economical when dividing cost by years of service.

Mine is a Spyderco Dragonfly Salt , with a fully serrated curved Blade. The scales have been Rit dyed black and a black Spyderco wire clip fitted. It is unique, handsome light , strong , sharp beyond belief and endlessly useful.

Friction folding, but with a liner lock, Le Thiers by Le Sabot; I carry this in a pocket clip sheath.

WBm8rGP.jpg

Back