Gerber Paraframe with magnetic blade??

So my co-worker just picked up a Gerber Paraframe and the blade is at least slightly magnetic, picked up a staple with it LOL. Is this common for a production knife? I've never noticed that before but normally don't test blades for magnetism. Just was a funny thing. He said look at this, it's magnetic.

Last edited:
So my co-worker just picked up a Gerber Paraframe and the blade is at lease slightly magnetic, picked up a staple with it LOL. Is this common for a production knife? I've never noticed that before but normally don't test blades for magnetism. Just was a funny thing. He said look at this, it's magnetic.
Its very easy for steel to take on magnetism. It happens during the manufacture of the blade and for whatever reason it doesn't get completely de-magnetized before being boxed and shipped.

Yep, in my experience most blades are(GEC for example aren't, Spyderco tend to be pretty magnetic)
I'm guessing it's from the electromagnetic fixture used in automated grinding or surface grinding etc.

Interesting, I never came across a situation that would make me think a new blade might be slightly magnetic.

Never noticed it till I got a WE. The dry metal dust will actually show areas with more magnetism on the blades; pretty neat :D

Its very easy for steel to take on magnetism. It happens during the manufacture of the blade and for whatever reason it doesn't get completely de-magnetized before being boxed and shipped.

That is obviously the case. The why would be the interesting part to figure out. I think we all have temporarily magnetized an old school screwdriver by rubbing it on a strong magnet. Curious to find out what process at the manufacturer would magnetize the blade. Could simply be the blade grinding process, which is probably the case.

Any metal with iron in it is ferrous metal and can therefore take on a magnetic charge. The usual way a knife or tool can become charged (become magnetic) is for it to be in contact with another magnet. Setting it on a speaker magnet or being in contact with a magnet while sitting in a tool box for instance are common occurrences
The other possible way, which is actually what is happening with the permanent magnet example above, is for the knife to be in a electromagnetic field. Magnets have their own magnetic field. But electricity can form the fields as well and quite frankly are usually the stronger fields of the 2.

So what is the outcome of this gobbledy gook? If the knife is around electric motors, Transformers, Generators, Large medical equipment like XRay, CAT or MRI machines all generate strong and though usually not large magnetic fields. The knife only needs to be brought into the field it can take on an electrical charge. You cannot see or feel the field on your own so it is quite easy to pass through a field without knowing it.

Want to get rid of it? You can either buy a cheapo fixed magnetizer, demagnetizer available from most tool shops, or you can buy an electric one. What you would look for is a demagnetizer or degauser. They have them for a whole host of applications. Demaging the heads on tape machines, bulk erasing of tapes, discs. If you go that route, read and follow the instructions. If you don't do it properly, you will do the opposite of what you want. Last option, you could even just try to have it hold on to a couple of things and often the charge will dissipate on its own.

I've had lots of cheap knives that were magnetic, for some reason it was the bead blasted blades most of all.

I haven't checked any blades in a long time, so I wonder if any of my Bucks, Vic's, or old imperials are magnetic.

When mass-manufactured knife blades are being moved around an automated assembly line, they are often picked up and dropped by huge electromagnetic drums and conveyors.

That is obviously the case. The why would be the interesting part to figure out. I think we all have temporarily magnetized an old school screwdriver by rubbing it on a strong magnet. Curious to find out what process at the manufacturer would magnetize the blade. Could simply be the blade grinding process, which is probably the case.
Commonly, the magnetic chucks used for work-holding during surface grinding and bevel grinding etc. will have a built in de-magnetizer. When it is activated, it will "pulse" down to zero. As it gets close to being done, there is not much hold left and you can remove the steel from the chuck very easily without it being completely de-magnetized. The sooner you get those parts off, and the next ones going, the happier your supervisor is!;)

By the way any self-respecting knife lover would have taken their coworker's Paraframe and given the coworker one of their knives.

Dropped the ball while absorbed by magnetism. Just sayin'.
I gave away an emerson super cqc8 and a manix 2 xl to co workers in the last few months. They were so happy, I see them carry it every single day. One of them was of the mindset all knives are weapons, now he's using it daily for all kinds of things and can appreciate it's use as a tool. The only down side is other people have come to see me and ask "where is my knife" :rolleyes:

Back