Gettin' Jiggy With It - Jigged Bone Photos

v31BneE.jpg

ijb23Bn.jpg

RtiSDWx.jpg

I've always loved amber stag carved bone. I might like it better than amber stag.

If only GEC and others could jig bone like they did in the 1920's and before. Now days it seems like they want to jig is a regular pattern or in an artistic way and a lot of it, My GEC Pemberton for example, is not really functional. ( It does look like birds flying though.)

1920's - 1930's vs Modern

Pile Side.JPGPile Side.JPG

If only GEC and others could jig bone like they did in the 1920's and before. Now days it seems like they want to jig is a regular pattern or in an artistic way and a lot of it, My GEC Pemberton for example, is not really functional. ( It does look like birds flying though.)

View attachment 2223129View attachment 2223130
I would agree with your assessment. I think the makers are limited by the jigging machines they have. Most of the old jigging machines have been lost to time.

View attachment 2223129View attachment 2223130
Case is able to do some nice random looking jigging when they want to, but it seems that alot of GEC's jigging looks like it's a repetitive machine made pattern.

Queen Dan Burke #26 Winterbottom jigging Edit: Misidentified my own knife :rolleyes: This is not the DB #26. This is, IIRC, a #2 jack knife.
View attachment 2227810View attachment 2227811
Wormgoove
View attachment 2227819View attachment 2227817
Winterbottom is one of Queen's finest- and they did a lot of grand stuff before the collapse years. I have the same No.2 Jack and it was sold to me as Delrin but it has pores just like the bone on your one. Do you know when your knife was made?

Thanks, Will

Some jigging I like on small knives, the GEC is an early, 08 think.

Certainly, some GEC SFO knives have remarkable jigging but their run of the mill is a bit tyre tread like. It's a pity that jigging machines/ and or skills are in a decline because Jigged Bone is what typifies American knives (to a lesser extent English ones) from the past. Continental European knives tended to focus more on Woods, Stag, Horn or Smooth Bone so I do feel Jigged is predominantly an American forte.

p34bYGD.jpg

Back