"Give me your tired, your poor," your broken blades...

Mack

Expert Ultracrepidarian
Platinum Member
I know I must not be the only one. I have several old knives with broken blades that I absolutely treasure. These two for example get carried as much or more than any of my others. The broken blades are used a lot too.
brokenbeauties.jpg

If you have some of these broken treasures please share them with us. I hope to hear some of the stories that must go with the broken blades too.
Thank you.

I don't have any knives to add to your thread Mack. I like the idea though. Just because a knife has a broken blade, doesn't mean it can't still be put to use, for many more years...
Besides, you can get some smokin buys, on "rescue" knives :D

Cool looking knives. Can't say I have any old broken knives but I do think it is really neat to give an old broken blade some new life. I've seen some really cool blade repairs that semi fix a break into a more functional form. That being said its neat just to use me as is. Certainly would have a ton of character :)

-Mark

I've posted this knife before, it is part of my EDC.

There's something to be said about repurposing a 100 year old pocket knife.
Found this UNION KNIFEWORKS Moose Pattern with a broken blade a couple of years ago.

This puppy has plenty of walk and talk F&F are fantastic considerin' the age and the fact that the Backsprings and Bolsters are Steel, I paid a few $ for it, maybe $3 or $4, I cleaned it up and reground the broken blade into a box cutter, this puppy holds an unbelievable edge and just feels so right in my hand.

Here's a few pics to share, enjoy.

056.jpg

059.jpg

063-1.jpg

Some outstanding bone on that one, Ted. :thumbup:

That is incredible Ted. I need to keep my eyes open more often for treasures like these. They are probably all around us but we ignore them. The blade on yours, much like the one on my 34OT makes a great little cutter.

This Abram Brooksbank of Sheffield knife was originally a lambsfoot, and my guess was that the tip broke at some point and so it was re-ground. I’m glad that it wasn’t simply thrown away as I rather like it :)

One of the blades on this John Watts of Sheffield knife has lost its tip at some point and been re-ground to use as a screwdriver. I’ve not really done much with this knife, but the blades were both very sharp when I found it, so it was obviously a user. Again, I’m glad it simply wasn’t thrown away.

This is my grandfather's favorite old knife his Case #47 double end jack. I can remember him carry this as a child before he snapped the blade. I also now know why I have so much affection for the #47 serpentine frame regardless of blades!
005-4.jpg

Found in a used tackle box, this old MOTS gem was covered in surface rust. I cleaned it up and put a bit of a point back on it.

knives08017.jpg

knives08016.jpg

knives08014.jpg

The following three are among my top ten favorites in my collection, simply for the stories they could tell if they could talk:

An old U.S. Schrade 77OT I got off fleabay a few years ago. One blade tip was broken off and the other was bent. I spent some time looking at LG4 and other references, and converted both blades to semi-Wharncliffe types.
USSchrade7OT002.jpg

Top knife here is a Primble, and the broken blade was converted into a perfect little screwdriver. The Remington below it has all three blades either broken or otherwise damaged. One blade is still sharp and useful, though. I used it last year on Christmas morning for package duty.
WorkingPocketKnives015.jpg

~Chris

I fixed up a couple SAK's that had snapped blades, but I don't have any pics. Here is my very overly-sharpened beauty. I wish I could get that pen open!!!!

IMG_2544.jpg

IMG_2546.jpg

IMG_2547.jpg

I think the pen was snapped and then sharpened to the point it is now. I am pondering having it sent off to have a new nail nick put on it so I can use it; it would be perfect for opening packages on Christmas this year, hehe.

Sorry for no pictures but I had a Case yellow handle 03244 , from the mid 70"s that has a broken pen blade. It has the hidden (sunken) joints so I just ground down the nub of the pen blade and closed it. It is out of sight leaving a fair clip blade that gets so sharp that its scary. Its slim, light weight and easy to carry and the nub does not show. A favorite of my EDC's...Herb

I'm loving seeing these guys. Some gorgeous knives that some people would not see the beauty in. Thanks for keeping them alive.
Deadfall27 I hope you can get a nick on that pen. It looks like a heck of a cutting tool and those scales are incredible.
Congrats on the 1000 posts.:thumbup:

I'm loving seeing these guys. Some gorgeous knives that some people would not see the beauty in. Thanks for keeping them alive.
Deadfall27 I hope you can get a nick on that pen. It looks like a heck of a cutting tool and those scales are incredible.
Congrats on the 1000 posts.:thumbup:

Thanks brother! I am hoping to do a giveaway to celebrate, but I am waiting for that perfect beauty for it; I want to do it right :thumbup:

IMG_3242.jpg

They're still beautiful even with broken blades. The bottom one was my wife's grandfathers, he obviously got his use out of it, after all he was a thrifty Dutchman!

Some amazing knives that have been well used and loved. No matter what the blades look like, I always love the look of aged ebony.

Here are a couple of old Schrade Cutcos that could be happy again under the right hand. The handles have no flaws other than pocket wear, and the blades are still tight and snappy.

cripples001.jpg

My first thought was "I don't buy broken blades". Then I thought some more: Remington 4243 with a very broken 2" sheepsfoot (and a missing bail), Schrade trapper that was missing probably not much more than 1/8" off either blade, Utica Kutmaster harness knife with a somewhat broken punch.
uH5xYrFE

A couple of Hammer Brand scout knifes from the same estate sale. The more worn one looks to have been reground to repair a snapped off tip like the less worn one has.
Jlf6QjgN

Back