Gladius

I haven't posted in a bit but this one was kind of fun to build and a something a little different.

I just finished this last night.

I have a commission for a Gladius (details will be in a later thread) and decided to do a trial run. Over in the maker's section there's a communal thread (here) about a camp sword build off of sorts and I thought that was a good opportunity for this sword. Hence, I left it a little on the rustic side to be a "camp" sword and as it was more of a fact finding mission. There are some WIP pics over there, if interested, along with some other fine work and interesting takes on the theme.

The steel is W2, walnut and maple handle with copper plate and pein block. The copper plate is about 1/8" and inlet into the guard piece.

The blade shape is somewhere between a Hispaniensis and a Mainz.

The blade is 19 1/2" and lightly cold blued. The maple part of the grip is only 3 1/8" so the hand wedges into the pommel and guard for a secure grip. The tip is left thick for piercing but with the waisted design the blade would make a very capable slasher.

While holding it, there is definitely a sense of wonder and horror at the thought of whole armies going to war armed with something like this..:eek:

I haven't decided on the scabbard. Maybe a leather one with a shoulder rig.

Gladius100.jpg

Gladius101.jpg

Gladius102.jpg

the way that blade exits the textured copper slays me.
Well done Stuart!
First I read "Gladius", which fired me up, then I read "posted by SBranson" and I dang near fainted with excitement. To say that I am pleased with what I've just seen is certainly not enough, so I'll leave it to you to figure out where I'm at with this piece :)

While holding it, there is definitely a sense of wonder and horror at the thought of whole armies going to war armed with something like this..:eek:

This gladius is awesome. I doubt that many Legionnaires used swords of this quality.

Thanks for the comments. Lorien.. I tried pretty hard to get that fit of the blade to the copper to look right, thanks for noticing.

Here's a closer look. (it's an attachment so put your mouse over it)

Gladius21.jpg

I realy like historic replications and find the roman aera facinating.
Beautifull work!
How does it feel 'in hand'?

Thanks. It feels quite good in the hand. POB is about 4" in front of the guard but with the tight grip and the scalloped facets it is easy to maneuver and imparts quite a feeling of power.:cool:

Attachments

• Gladius25.jpg
    Gladius25.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 45
VERY cool Stuart! That is a nice detail of the blade extending from the textured copper.

Peter

That is Cool Stuart I have one in the works as well I am a big fan of the show spartacus

I'm amazed, Stuart, how you made a W2 blade and managed to Not put a hamon on it! Nice piece, nice work!

I really, really like the sword.
You sure are making some cool stuff these days.
I can still remember back in the day when you made hunting knives.

Thanks for all the comments. I haven't had it out slashing and cutting, I'd like to get some mats as this isn't really a substitute for an axe. But, the way it swings I can imagine it's a very capable cutter. I showed it to the guys at work and most felt it was lighter than they imagined for the size.

Thanks for the tip on the show Spartacus, Dave. I'll have to check it out. I recently finished the series "Rome" and it was really lent a lot of the inspiration for this piece.

As far as no hamon.. well it really wouldn't be suiting though would it? :p

Scott.. I too look forward to our meeting.

Mark, I still do hunting knives but swords are quite distracting. :p:p:D

Very nice! I love the inletted copper :)

The pic is a detail of the inletting. It also shows a little of the extra carving in the copper to make the blade seat better.

Attachments

• Gladius16.jpg
    Gladius16.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 47
WOW! Gladius by Stuart Branson! Gorgeous piece. I think anyone would be proud to own that. Great work. I like the roughness on the camp sword. Gives it a bit of personality, and that textured copper is fantastic.

Back