1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  2. Week 42 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream, going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    an Kizer Vanguard V4516A1 Domin Folding Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

Glass cutting board! WHY??!!

Discussion in 'Kitchen Cutlery & Tools' started by Mmm390, Sep 10, 2019.

1. Mmm390

Mmm390 Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 26, 2019
    So I recently visited my parents for a few days and during that time I decided to sharpen most of their kitchen knives because they were all butter knife dull. I got them mirror finish, hair popping sharp and over the next day or two both my parents ended up cutting themselves twice each because they weren't use to the sharpness.
    But towards the end of my trip I noticed that the knives I had just sharpened were back to having rolled and dinged edges and were completely dull again!! I was shocked and a little upset that my hours of work went down the drain so quickly.

During lunch I figured out why. They were using a glass cutting board!!
    Who in their right mind would manufacture a glass cutting board!?? Who in their right mind would buy and use a glass cutting board!? I don't get it...what's the point??

2. Insipid Moniker

Insipid Moniker Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 28, 2011
    People don't know or care about knives and glass cutting boards looks nice and are easy to clean.

3. hexenjager

hexenjager Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 24, 2016
    Exactly this. As knife nuts it's easy to forget that the vast majority of people who design, sell or buy things don't understand much about knives.

MtnHawk1 likes this.
  4. ScooterG

ScooterG You mean Ireland? Yeah, it’s mine. Gold Member

Mar 15, 2016
    I learn something new everyday and got today’s learning done early. People even give them great reviews (and pay $40 for them)...
    6FC329A1-DED4-4BA1-958B-CEF782F8809C.jpeg

David Mary and Currawong like this.
  5. PirateSeulb

PirateSeulb Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 6, 2017
    I was given one long ago before I knew much about them and my grandmother has had one for longer, she may have given me mine, ultimately it is people not knowing it dulls the knives and not really caring about having razor sharp. They just want sharp enough to function and often have a honing steel that is never used and a pull through sharpener to sharpen their kitchen knives.

6. l1ranger

l1ranger Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 27, 2017
    glass is easy to clean, disinfect, and if you don't drop it, will probably last forever.

they don't care about the knives - they are bad people ;)

Stelth, Readyeseve, tyyreaun and 3 others like this.
  7. PirateSeulb

PirateSeulb Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 6, 2017
    I will add once I learned I ended up buying some cutting mats, I guess they could be called it is a thin cutting surface, I usually placed on top of my glass cutting board this reduced the damage to the blades. I eventually got at least some inexpensive wood boards later which due to either a careless user, not myself, or cheap construction will need a replacement unlike the one my parents have which is at least close to the same age as I am.

8. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    I have two glass cutting boards that get used sparingly for various purposes. I cut the most on a plastic one. I feel the wood versions (but they look nice) absorb odors and potentially "other stuff", hence I was concerned about appropriate cleaning after use.

Surprised that the edges suffered so quickly. They must do a lot of cutting on their glass boards.

Pretty hard to teach old dogs new tricks. But I would probably buy them a cutting board or two and mention about the knife edges.

9. BellaBlades

BellaBlades Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 12, 2013
    Growing up my mother used the glass boards. Even as a kid it never made sense lol.

These epicurian cutting boards are great. Grabbed some for my wife last x mas from my a local shop. Nonpourus paper/wood base material.

I picked up these particular ones because they have the groove to hold juices if you're cutting fruit or meet on one side and the other is just flat.

epicurean-cutting-boards-all-in-one-natural-black-set.jpg

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
    MrsR&T, chiral.grolim and oldmanwilly like this.
  10. Insipid Moniker

Feb 28, 2011
    They've actually done a few studies on which cutting boards hold the most bacteria and pretty consistently found that wooden cutting boards are actually the most hygienic option.

MrsR&T, afishhunter, Backyard and 7 others like this.
  11. atdegs

atdegs Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 17, 2019
    I came to say the same thing. A cousin of mine who is a chef bought us one for a gift, and they're the best option available that I know of.

BellaBlades likes this.
  12. AntDog

AntDog Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 3, 2001
    My mom uses a ceramic tile! :eek: I’d never bother to sharpen her knives unless she switched to wood or plastic.

David Mary and Rykjeklut like this.
  13. BellaBlades

BellaBlades Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 12, 2013
    Just tell her to cut everything at about 20 degree angle and it should give her a nice strong Edge lol.

14. kwick72

kwick72 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 17, 2013
    "Good Eats" did a show on knives, how to purchase and maintain them. He talks about cutting boards and which boards are good for each use.
    He made a point that glass boards are evil like dark lord sith evil. Stuck with me to this day, all I use are plastic boards.

orangejoe35, GeofS and Larrin like this.
  15. GotSteel

GotSteel Basic Member Basic Member

Mar 1, 2016
    My grandmother had one when I was a child, I've always hated them.. the way it feels when the knife meets the glass.. it's too smooth no friction or bite, like nails on a chalkboard to me lol

David Mary and Backyard like this.
  16. Insipid Moniker

Feb 28, 2011
    I remember watching a clip on edge retention by, I think, America's Test Kitchen and the knives they were testing weren't dulling quickly enough in use, so they pulled out glass cutting boards (which they were careful to explain you should never use) to massively accelerate the process.

17. chiral.grolim

chiral.grolim Universal Kydex Sheath Extension Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 2, 2008
    :thumbsup: I used a dremel with a round cutting bit and routed grooves in cutting boards for friends. If your cutting board isn't glass/ceramic and doesn't have a groove and you want it to, know that it is a pretty easy mod :)

BellaBlades likes this.
  18. T.L.E. Sharp

T.L.E. Sharp I support the 3rd amendment! Platinum Member

Jun 30, 2016
    My mom insists on them despite knowing fully that they destroy the knife edges. Granted, she nearly died of foodborne hepatitis as a kid, so I can understand why she likes them. I've told her over and over though that plastic boards are equally sanitary and don't ruin your knives.

I bought them one of those crappy counter top sharpeners. They suck, but if you're going to immediately slam the apex into a piece of glass it's better than nothing.

David Mary likes this.
  19. gazz98

gazz98 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 3, 2008
    Who uses a cutting board? I hang my meat :p or what ever I want to cut with a rope and use my Cold Steel products to slice and hack at them with a bowl underneath to catch the droppings.

I also play cool music while I'm doing it.

If the wife is home, I use a wooden cutting board.

MrsR&T, David Mary, Robdnor and 5 others like this.
  20. eveled

eveled Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 11, 2016
    I usually use a paper plate as a cutting board.

Sonnydaze likes this.