Glass cutting board! WHY??!!

I wouldn't even use a plastic board. The grooves made by blades are deep and bacteria grow inside them and very hard to clean.
Cutting on glass is just ignorance. Yet I see a lot of people on here cutting their steak dinner on a glass plate and a pocket knife.

Bamboo or wood, end grains are not hard to clean, dont be lazy and get a proper cutting board.
Stop buying cheap plastic boards, almost no chef recommends a plastic board.

I wouldn't even use a plastic board. The grooves made by blades are deep and bacteria grow inside them and very hard to clean.
Cutting on glass is just ignorance. Yet I see a lot of people on here cutting their steak dinner on a glass plate and a pocket knife.

Bamboo or wood, end grains are not hard to clean, dont be lazy and get a proper cutting board.
Stop buying cheap plastic boards, almost no chef recommends a plastic board.

I thought I remember seeing somewhere that the silica content in bamboo is much higher than other types of wood and also bad on edges.

Who in their right mind would manufacture a glass cutting board!??
Well I know some types of pastry or other food items are best rolled out and cut (think cookie cutters) on a COLD surface. So the "board" is made of marble etc., and refrigerated before making the food items.

Who in their right mind would buy and use a glass cutting board!? I don't get it...what's the point??
While using a sharp knife you mean . . . I won't go there . . . I think you said it all.

Who uses a cutting board? I hang my meat :p or what ever I want to cut with a rope and use my Cold Steel products to slice and hack at them with a bowl underneath to catch the droppings.

I also play cool music while I'm doing it.

If the wife is home, I use a wooden cutting board.
Hahahahahahaha :thumbsup: :p

Think I will buy another wood cutting board if I see one that grabs me and has tight grains. Been a while since I used wood. I mostly use the one plastic cutting board I have as a serving platter for sandwiches (for me) after I make one. I don't cut sandwiches in half or whatever.

I never understood this either. My grandmother had what looked like a large glass or ceramic cutting board but it usually just got used as a trivet for the crock pot. I suppose it would be okay for certain types of cutting or cleaning tasks that didn't involve orthogonal contact with a blade edge.

I cringe a little when steak knives grind into a plate. Of course, most of the steak and table knives I've ever used at anybody's house or at restaurants haven't been what I'd call "sharp". They are typically serrated and act as little food saws.

I cut the most on a plastic one. I feel the wood versions (but they look nice) absorb odors and potentially "other stuff", hence I was concerned about appropriate cleaning after use.

On "Bernard Levine's Knife-Related Links" page. You will find this link. Wood versus Plastic Cutting Boards. "One is kind dangerous, potentially deadly". You may be surprised at the results.

O.B.

Interesting read. I thank you for adding the link. I recommend everyone read it.

My take is this. I think glass cutting boards are easier to clean and likely pretty sanitary. They however damage the cutting edges of knives. It would appear based on the article that wood boards are more sanitary than plastic boards. The differences appears to be the ability of bacteria to be captured inside the cracks (from knife cuts) on plastic boards versus facilitating more surface area for drying on wood ones.

Last edited:
The part that I don't understand is that I would assume that older generations grew up around knives and carried pocket knives on a daily baises and would at least know something about proper knife care.

My parents use knives to prep every meal. They enjoy using fresh produce from their gardens and buy meat in bulk and freeze it.
Every meal for them envolves a good amount of prep work.
You would think that over the decades, knife care and maintence would become an important issue.

I mentioned the glass cutting board to them and they basically looked at me like I was crazy or didn't know what I was talking about.
I guess trying to educate older generations doesn't always go over well lol

On "Bernard Levine's Knife-Related Links" page. You will find this link. Wood versus Plastic Cutting Boards. "One is kind dangerous, potentially deadly". You may be surprised at the results.

O.B.
thanks for posting that link! It’s 100% correct. The Plastics assoc, has filled the interwebs
With BS about Plastic being cleaner & safer and the have more than enough $$$$$$$ to get “scientists” to get them the results of whatever they want! They bought of the Legislators of Cally to pass a law that all restaurants etc have to use plastic boards. Hmmmm? Also besides being hard on your edges, all those grooves in the plastic mean you are eating the plastic, Bamboo Is a grass. To make it into a board , it’s filled with plastic & chemicals and the Slica/sand that has been mentioned. We have been using woods for cutting boards for the past few thousand years because they have proven to be the cleanest & most forgiving on the edges. Not tile, not what some mega company has told us is best cause they sell it... You wash your wooden boards with soap and water and if your really paranoid, leave your wood boards out in the sun for a few hours .. my grandma would do that after cutting up chicken. I asked her why? She said it’s probably not needed, it’s just to make sure. UV light kills some 99.?? Of bacteria .. She went to Collage, which was rare for for her Gen..
The part that I don't understand is that I would assume that older generations grew up around knives and carried pocket knives on a daily baises and would at least know something about proper knife care.

My parents use knives to prep every meal. They enjoy using fresh produce from their gardens and buy meat in bulk and freeze it.
Every meal for them envolves a good amount of prep work.
You would think that over the decades, knife care and maintence would become an important issue.

I mentioned the glass cutting board to them and they basically looked at me like I was crazy or didn't know what I was talking about.
I guess trying to educate older generations doesn't always go over well lol
Your parents are very intelligent and you should listen to them about many things in life, including that only a person that was insane would think glass cutting boards are a good idea!

I thought I remember seeing somewhere that the silica content in bamboo is much higher than other types of wood and also bad on edges.
That may be true, I dont know to be honest.

I have a bamboo and wood, and use them both greatly and have not noticed quicker wear on the bamboo.

I have several stones in the kitchen anyways.

You only have to look at the surface of a well used plastic cutting board to know that using it is a bad idea
Looking into those deep grooves you can nearly see the bacteria looking back at you

Allegedly a glass cuttingboard is "sterile" (or can be made so) and less likely to cause food poisoning compared to a wood cuttingboard. (never mind the fact that "humans"/"people" have used wood cuttingboards for thousands of years while suffering no ill effects from doing so)

I won't own or use a glass or plastic cutting board, and I still prefer Old Hickory carbon steel kitchen knives, cast iron skillets, griddles, and pots.
I figure if carbon steel knives and cast iron cookwear were "good enough" for my 15th great grand parents (or their 15th great grand parents, come to that) there no reason it should not be "good enough" for me an mine.
In over 60 years, ain't no one got sick or died from my cooking yet ...

If you're going to extend life support for the thread to tell us about your cutting board, the least you could do is provide a pic. ;)

[you asked. I’m not good at photos upload but getting better. Been using this board and one of the last forged knives from Shrade and sold thru LL Bean. Forty years and no food poisoning and the knife cuts like crazy. QUOTE="RedFury, post: 19343681, member: 423460"]Been using a board I made from a scrap of spalted Magnolia for about 40 year[/QUOTE]
09C663D6-A7DC-4ADC-A7D8-62BF9BA107D7.jpeg

I can practice my ninja skills doing this lol

We have glass and plastic. My wife prefers the glass and I alway cringed. Needless to say it's going in the recycling tomorrow.

I pick my battles.

Back