"Good deed" give-a-way take II (Reznik572 inspired)

myright

Gold Member
Some of you may remember my "Good deed" give-a-way thread last year that Echo4v won. I had everyone post something they did as a good deed to be entered into the thread.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=642073&highlight=give-a-way

The thread by Reznik572 got me interested in doing one again - check out his thread:
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=705918

Ok - so what am I giving away you say:

CRKT Stubby folding razel still in the box

The rules are pretty simple:

First and foremost - If you enter please have the intention of using the knife and not letting it sit like I did

Second - Anyone can enter.

Third, and most importantly, the Good Deed part:

Post a picture, brief story, etc. of something good you have done recently to help the environment, children (our future), people, animals, trail maintenance, etc. it can be as easy as helping an old lady cross the street or as complex as building an animal shelter in your free time. I'll leave it up to you.

If you haven't done anything nice lately - GO OUT AND DO SOMETHING NICE YOU GRUMP

This one will run until March 1st giving all you time to get and do something nice.

Not really a good deed, but yesterday in the Wal-Mart parking lot I moved several carts to the cart return. For some reason in the town I am currently working in, people leave their carts EVERYWHERE except where they should go. They are scattered in empty spots, in the roads and even just put against the bumper of the car next to them. When I came out with my groceries yesterday there was one on my bumper, one against the car next to me and several others in the road. I spent 45 seconds gathering them and returning them to the cart return that was about 30 feet away. As I was driving away and old man was loading his groceries in the car next to me that I had removed a cart from. He did not know but I felt good for moving it as it would have been extra work for him in this cold weather.

Not really a good deed and I don't wish to enter the competition, just helping the thread along. Great give-away Myright!

Don't think because the deed you did seemed to be small in scope that it didn't make a difference :) Thanks for posting.

well for thanksgiving last year, 2009, we stocked our neihbors house with food. before we went there they had a can of beans and that was about it. the husband had lost his job and his wife is recovering from cancer. they really appreciated it. but it felt really good to be able to help them in any way we could.

this is a really good giveaway idea. and thank you for your generosity.

About a week before Christmas as I was leaving work, I saw a clapped out Suburban stallled on the side of the road with the driver standing there with a pair of jumper cables. I did a U-turn and pulled up to help him out. He told me he had been there for an hour and nobody stopped! What is wrong with people? He had the jumpers ready and everything!

I've been that guy more than a couple of times, and the feeling of gratitude I've had for good Samaritans in those situations compells me to stop for stranded motorists when I can.

I'll throw my hat into the ring. It's kind of an ongoing thing. I live on a dead end road, being the 2nd house from the actual end. I have 3 neighbors essentially.

My neighbor to the south has a snowblower. About 40, works a day shift. The neighbor to the east, on the opposite side of the street, is a retired elderly gentleman who put in a lot of time as a city employee, and he and his wife are about 70-75 years of age. The neighbor to the northeast is a Marine who recently moved in, and I haven't met yet. The Marine also does not own a snowblower.

Here's why I reference the snowblower: I do my driveway, and the elderly couple's across the street. The 40 something neighbor does his, and calls it a day. The Marine shovels just enough to get his wife's car out of the garage. Now the 40 something guy and the Marine have no problems BS-ing with each other, rather than helping out the elderly man. So, after I do my driveway, I do the one across the street, and then pack up. Total time out of my day, 35 minutes.

Early December we had a snow storm and after blading my parking area, I headed the tractor over to a friend's about 6 miles away. About a mile from her house I see a little old lady with a snow shovel getting ready to tackle the ridge left by the snow plow -- about 2' tall and solid.
I stopped the tractor and asked if she would like me to move the snow for her.
Ended up digging out close to 600' of "U" drive, and her carport -- and found out she was widowed in the past year, her husband worked for the county road crew driving a plow, so he always plowed their drive on his way past.
My friend was pretty happy to see me as well - she had no way to get out either....

Repeated this after the Christmas snow storm as well.

I farm here in the midwest, and I live by my pliers, and my knife. I still own the same pliers I've had for 25 years. I can't wear them out. I can't seem to find a knife that can stand up to the same treatment. I could use one that will.

The good deed really wasn't just my doing:

My wife and I really weren't doing well together after 25 years of marriage. We're empty nesters, and I'm struggling with lyme disease, but every day seems better.

About 10 months ago, my wife found out about a couples counseling seminar, and she convinced me to go. It's a Christian based group, and I was very skeptical, but I went anyway. I was pleasantly surprised, and realized that I could be a better husband and father, and life is much better, not only for me, but my wife, our relationship, my kids, and my beautiful loving grandson.

I am a better man. I guess the world gets better just one little, tiny, piece at a time.

I don't deserve a damned thing for it, but I got it all.

Last edited:
Glad to see this thread starting to gain some traction. Thanks for posting, fellas.

Oh yeah - you SAR, EMS, LEO, Military types feel free to chime in. It's still a good deed even if it is your job.

Saw a Sheetz employee (older, shorter lady) struggling with a box that looked to be almost as big as her, coming out of a local Sheetz gas station. Offered to hold the box for her while she fumbled with her car keys, it was heavy for me. At first she must have thought this big fat Grizzly Adams looking fellow would run off with it, then realized I probably wouldn't make it far ;). Put it on her front seat, gave a polite "No problem" to her thank you, and went inside to get my chicken wrap. Very small, and embarassing to write about, but the small things add up.

My good deed: helping kids with their homework and other school related stuff. There's no going around the fact that there are some pretty stupid kids on the school in my neighborhood, and I wanted to help them. So now, I'm helping them after school (if I have time, usually I do have an hour to spare), with all kinds of things. Maths, stuff like that, usually the hard stuff (I'm not brilliant at that either, but hey, I'm helping). Been doing this for half a year now.

By the way, I would definitely use that Razel. If it has a pocket clip, I'll carry it anywhere ;)

Another edit: for crying out loud, just give it to Reznik, he deserves it :eek:

Last edited:
I built my GF a compost ring and she got a compost pail in the kitchen. Now she composts about 10lbs of kitchen scraps a week! (we live in the city, so its a big deal for her)

When we had this little freeze, a small car had gone off the road because of a patch of ice around a curve and was sitting there, kind of stranded. I didn't want to try and pull the car and do more damage to it, so I got my Mag-Lite out of the truck and directed traffic while the driver called 911. Stood out there for a few minutes until the cops were able to find it. Not a big deal, and I am not entering, but...this should keep the thread bumped. :thumbup:

A good deed. I work in a hospital and met an older lady that told me she just found out she had terminal cancer. She didn't know where she was going to end up and was concerned about all her stuff in her apartment. She didn't have anyone to help her and she was going to be sent to a hospice house to die. She was not complaining. It was what it was. Used people all alone. She didn't have anyone to take care of her remains and thought she would like to be cremated and her ashes scattered over her parents grave but didn't know how that could even happen.
It was about 4:40 in the evening and I felt compelled to do something for her. I walked to the gift shop in another building just as the lady there was locking the door. I asked if she could take one more customer and she said the register was not closed and to come in. I bought some roses for her and a big balloon.
She was sleeping when I came in the room. I put the roses on her nightstand with the big balloon and tapped her on the shoulder. She woke up and was amazed. I knew she probably didn't have room for the balloon where she was going. I suggested that when she was moved out of the hospital and into the van, she should cut the balloon loose and watch it fly away. Her celebration of life. She was excited. I gave her a big hug and walked out into the hall back to work never to see her again. I'm sure she felt like someone cared. I did.

Good stuff fellas - Don't sell yourselves short either thinking just because it didn't seem like someting "big" that it didn't make a big difference in someones life!

Keep 'em coming

I'm not going to enter this time, I just wanted to say that knife has become my edc and it doesn't even scare the sheeple at the liberal university where I work. Oh, I ended up buying the horse too. She's not completely crippled but she needs therapudic farriery work, the original owner couldn't provide that work or pay for it so he sold her to me because I can do the work myself.

Good luck to all and myright, good on you for doing this again.

Thanks
David

I'm not going to enter this time, I just wanted to say that knife has become my edc and it doesn't even scare the sheeple at the liberal university where I work. Oh, I ended up buying the horse too. She's not completely crippled but she needs therapudic farriery work, the original owner couldn't provide that work or pay for it so he sold her to me because I can do the work myself.

Good luck to all and myright, good on you for doing this again.

Thanks
David

:thumbup: Nice work, brother!

Back