Good pair of "traditional" hiking boots?

I got a pair of Timberlands that I've had for about 25 years. They are finally starting to give out.

I would love to get another pair of the regular Timberlands, but Ive heard some bad things about em. They don't make em like they used to: bad fit/finish, spotty quality control, and they just don't last like they used to.

Any recommendations for a waterproof old school, traditional hiking/work boot that can last like an old Timberland?

Footwear is one of those things that have gotten better over the years. Just go get a pair of modern, lightweight, waterproof boots and don't look back. Your feet and spine will thank you.

I like danner combat hikers myself, very comfortable and durable. They make many hiking boots too, I just like the made in america models the best. I've worn danners for years.

I like Danners as well. If they ever get their Breakroom site running again, you can get the most unreal deals on their boots. I have bought several $200-$300+ boots for just around $50.

If you have a Redwing Shoe dealer near you I'd suggest taking a look at their products, while you are there get your foot measured on their machine. You will be surprised to find out that your foot size has changed over the years as you age. Also, a lot of boots nowadays are made in Asia and their sizing is different than the USA.

Danner was one of the brands I was considering over Timberlands. But how long do they last?

I've used Red Wings for work, comfortable and they last fairly well compared to sneakers and most other shoes. But they haven't come close to lasting as long as my Timberlands.

Danner was one of the brands I was considering over Timberlands. But how long do they last?

I've used Red Wings for work, comfortable and they last fairly well compared to sneakers and most other shoes. But they haven't come close to lasting as long as my Timberlands.
The US made Danners last me a couple solid years of everyday work and hiking. I am a big guy, and hard on footwear. I keep several pairs and alternate. They last a very long time that way. I haven't replaced any in a few years.

Danner Mountain Light in with Gortex.

I have a pair of Cabelas version, built with the same construction style and sole.

10 years and going strong, and I used them for riding my dual sport motorcycle for 8 years of that. Camping, hiking, around town all winter long.

I am just starting to think about resoling them.

Cabelas does not make this style any more, but the Danner's are even nicer.

I run Timberland Chocoruas with Spenco aftermarket insoles. They work great as I have wide feet. Have enjoyed them as much as Merrell and Keen's. In the dry season I run Propet Summit Walkers with aftermarket insoles too. I put aftermarket insoles into all my shoes though. Makes a huge difference in support.

The thick-grain leather Lowa brand boots are my favorite so far. I have the Trevisos which are sadly discontinued, but they still have the Ranger and Tibet models which look just as good. Check them out if you can afford the hefty price tag. They are extremely high quality, German made and amazingly comfortable.

I run Timberland Chocoruas with Spenco aftermarket insoles. They work great as I have wide feet. Have enjoyed them as much as Merrell and Keen's. In the dry season I run Propet Summit Walkers with aftermarket insoles too. I put aftermarket insoles into all my shoes though. Makes a huge difference in support.

I saw the Chocorucas, they look like noce boots, how long have they lasted? I got wide feet but I always get the regular width in boots, especially with the Timberlands, they tend to run a bit wider than other boots. Did you get the wide or regular?

And +1 on the aftermarket insoles, I always get new insoles in my boots.

Last edited:
Danner Mountain Light in with Gortex.

I have a pair of Cabelas version, built with the same construction style and sole.

10 years and going strong, and I used them for riding my dual sport motorcycle for 8 years of that. Camping, hiking, around town all winter long.

I am just starting to think about resoling them.

Cabelas does not make this style any more, but the Danner's are even nicer.

Nice boots, but $300? I'd have a tough time explaining to the wife how I need $300 boots. But you get what you pay for, great boots that last.

That's where boots become personal. I have pretty wide feet. I bought my normal size in regular width and with wool hiking socks they fit great, with an awesome wide toebox. I've only had them for a season so far and zero issues, no heel slip or anything.

I used to wear Keen Targhees and they were awesome until my arch recently collapsed and I went up another half size. The Keen's because of the waterproof eVent material made the boot very cramped in my normal size and a half size bigger it was way too big and my heel slipped. I had no issues with the Merrell's except that they wore quickly and their cushioning was not so hot, they were also very ugly sneakerish. I've worn golites and Salomon's and they wear quickly and are very nice so long as there are no rocks underneath your feet. Nike hiking boots have been very good but I don't like the way they look. They were the most comforable of all the Hikers I have ever worn especially the Nike Wildedge and ACG series. I thought I should add it's a solid day hiker but I wouldn't hike in the Chochoruas with anything more than a 30lb pack otherwise the support will fatigue. My all day hike packs are usually about 25 pounds filled with food, water and camera gear and I have gone all day in these with no issues, no hot spots.

I can't say as to how any of these brands normally feel as I put in at the very least a pair of $20 Spenco insoles. I find that a good pair of aftermarket insoles fix most shoes cushioning issues. I've hiked with t

Nice boots, but $300? I'd have a tough time explaining to the wife how I need $300 boots. But you get what you pay for, great boots that last.

If you have wide feet, get a wide width and you can often get a smaller length and they will be more comfortable. You might find the foot measurement interesting if you have a Red Wing store in your area.

For very traditional leather boots, consider some of the stuff Cabelas sells (their brand-like whitetail). They are pretty high quality. The sizing is the problem for me..... I hate to buy my regular size and discover that they are too tight.

Biggest suggestion I can make is don't store your boots touching a concrete floor. I have had several pairs where the soles literally fell off out in the woods.

In 2005, I hiked 70 miles in the Sangre de Cristo Mountains in a pair of Montrail Torre GTX. Never had a blister or a hotspot, and that was carrying a minimum of 40 lbs every day. Like any boot, they're probably not for everyone, but they're worth checking out.

Sangre de Cristo mountains are no joke! Almost sh#t my pants driving up one of the mountains to get to a hot spring!

In 2005, I hiked 70 miles in the Sangre de Cristo Mountains in a pair of Montrail Torre GTX. Never had a blister or a hotspot, and that was carrying a minimum of 40 lbs every day. Like any boot, they're probably not for everyone, but they're worth checking out.

I've had three/3 pair of those. Best fit of any boot I've ever had.

Montrail stopped making them, or I should say, they changed them.

In 2009 they switched to a new style, after more than 20 years they changed them.

The new ones are trash, fit is different, foot bed spongy and flimsy, fiber shank instead of steel,
ankle support only comes up half as far as the old ones.

If you can find the old style buy them, don't waste your time or cash on the new ones.

If you want just leather, European made Lowes, or osolos are good.

Good luck.

Back