"Good reason" to carry a knife

I carry a knife simply because my Dad did and his dad and in my mothers side as far back as I can remember. A knife is a tool. I hate this tactical "fad" cause that is all it is. I have never heard of a knife carry permit. But they do have them for guns. If you are so scared you have to have a "tacticle knife" well why don't you wise up and get a gun.

But Yes I know in the other countries mentioned that is a big bad wolf and you cannot do so. But in this country it is not. I say get a gun.

I read this tacticle BS so much I want to puke. I grew up working on a farm. You cut sting off of hay bales. You cut leather on the new saddle strap because it was a bit long. I do not think those horses needed a tacticle knife to have that done on their saddles.

I have a so called "tacticle knife" right now with custom scales. I traded the guy because he was so interested in a knife or flashlight I had. I will look and see what it is. It has done nothing but sit on my dresser. Mint. VG-10 I believe. Heck cant remember the name I will go look "wow it is this big old hunkin Kershaw in VG-10 8.25" open. Wished I could remember the name. It is useless to me. Probably out of place to say or do anything here but you see who I am. I will find the name.

Other than that I use a knife even in Resturants to cut my steak. Beats those butterknives they call steak knives. Whittle a fat stick "fuzzy stick" to start the kingling to get the fire going.

Thats all for now folks. I suppose i just grew up in the wrong age to be scared so i have to carry a "tacticle" knife Hehe.

I carry a knife simply because my Dad did and his dad and in my mothers side as far back as I can remember. A knife is a tool. I hate this tactical "fad" cause that is all it is. I have never heard of a knife carry permit. But they do have them for guns. If you are so scared you have to have a "tacticle knife" well why don't you wise up and get a gun.

But Yes I know in the other countries mentioned that is a big bad wolf and you cannot do so. But in this country it is not. I say get a gun.

I read this tacticle BS so much I want to puke. I grew up working on a farm. You cut sting off of hay bales. You cut leather on the new saddle strap because it was a bit long. I do not think those horses needed a tacticle knife to have that done on their saddles.

I have a so called "tacticle knife" right now with custom scales. I traded the guy because he was so interested in a knife or flashlight I had. I will look and see what it is. It has done nothing but sit on my dresser. Mint. VG-10 I believe. Heck cant remember the name I will go look "wow it is this big old hunkin Kershaw in VG-10 8.25" open. Wished I could remember the name. It is useless to me. Probably out of place to say or do anything here but you see who I am. I will find the name.

Other than that I use a knife even in Resturants to cut my steak. Beats those butterknives they call steak knives. Whittle a fat stick "fuzzy stick" to start the kingling to get the fire going.

Thats all for now folks. I suppose i just grew up in the wrong age to be scared so i have to carry a "tacticle" knife Hehe.

Cajun, I live in IL.

I detest the use of the word tactical as well, but none of my knives are tactical. They are, however, exceptional weapons if I so choose to use them, and cutting a steak with a 45acp leads to more problems than it solves :eek:

As I live in a no-carry state, I have made my bed and I rest in it comfortably. It has zippo to do with fear, but a lot to do with intelligent prudence.

I carry a knife because I use one multiple times on a daily basis. I don't buy knives based on any "labels" affixed to them by their makers or other people. I buy knives based on blade shapes, edge geometries, and sizes that suit my particular needs and uses for knives. That said a lot of the knives I own are referred to as "tactical", others are referred to as "bushcraft" I really couldn't care less what they are called by whom as long as they serve the purposes I want them to serve. I have learned over time that in most cases a knife referred to as a tactical design is made to be more durable than knives considered "sporting" knives. This durability is a big draw for me as my knives lead a hard life. My paring knife is no less lethal in the right hands than the TOPS Black Star I carry sometimes, however it is much less durable in field craft.

Looking back on human history it could be argued than any sharpened piece of steel, or stone for that matter, that is affixed to a handle is "tactical".

I personally carry at least one knife on my person all the time other than when I am in the shower. I have been asked multiple times why do you carry a knife all the time. my reply is simple, Hang out with me long enough and you will ask to borrow it for task that is made simpler by having it handy. For those people that ask that i personally dont know or hang out with I tell them the .45ACP on my hip sucks at opening boxes.

Don't bring a knife to a gun fight unless you are close to the gun carrier. There was some police training 10-15 years ago which demonstrated that a person could cover some serious ground (about 30 feet) and stab you with a knife before you could draw and fire a round from your pistola. That being said, I started several years ago when i still worked the road, carrying two "tactical" pocket clip knifes, one in each front pocket. Why? Because I wanted to have a weapon to access with either hand in case I was ground-fighting with a suspect and getting my tail whupped. Being prepared is inconvenient.

In case I need to stab someone!

There are jurisdictions out there, i.e. the UK, and individual authority figures who may ask you for what reason you carry a knife. ("For protection" is the wrong answer!) As if you needed a reason ...

"Good reason?"

My good reason to carry a knife is that God gave me rather weak teeth and rudimentary claws in an evolutionary trade-off. The hairy-armed person who figured out how to put an edge on a suitable rock made it possible for us to be recognizably human in the first place. I wear a wristwatch whether or not I have an appointment to keep, and I carry a pen and/or pencil because I am a literate person whether or not I have a specific writing task ahead of me, and I carry a knife because I am a human and not an ape.

A knife comes in handy for all sorts of random tasks that involve separating matter. Like cutting a string, or making a sandwich, or opening a package. It can also come in handy in an emergency, which need not involve a human assailant, and emergencies are by their nature unforseen, so one should carry a knife all the time.

And in a perfect world where nobody needed a weapon, I'd probaby carry a slightly larger knife, because it wouldn't scare people.

(For some longer thoughts in this direction, visit Daithi's essay at www.knives.com )

------------------
- JKM
www.chaicutlery.com
AKTI Member # SA00001

[This message has been edited by James Mattis (edited 06-18-2000).]

There was some police training 10-15 years ago which demonstrated that a person could cover some serious ground (about 30 feet) and stab you with a knife before you could draw and fire a round from your pistola.

It used to be called Tueller's Rule, or the 21 Foot Rule, now called the Tueller Drill.

I first read about it in Combat Handguns or Guns And Weapons For Law Enforcement magazine (what seems like several lifetimes ago!).

It changed the way I thought about (and trained) against edged/blunt trauma weapon attacks.

If I may add,a reason I tell people who ask, Why ?.
I have cut 5 people from seat belts in the 6 years I was a volunteer fire fighter ,2 of which were on fire and in upset cars,cut a lot a cloths off people as well to work on them still.,, And still now work in traffic control as a sheriff dep. part time..I will never be without one or more , safety and self defense. I give them to my friends and family for such reasons. MY kids were neck knifes..
Thanks nice thread ..

Simple answers are usually the best:

Why do you carry a knife? So I don't have to go look for one when I need to cut something!

Why do you carry such a big knife? Big knives can do little jobs easier than little knives can do big ones.

But what are you going to use it for? Cutting stuff, duh! What do YOU use a knife for?

I carry a knife because someone is always asking me for one to cut something with. I've carried a pocket knife since I was about 12 years old. I grew up in farm country and even carried my pocket knife to high school, and no one cared.

All of this paranoia and foolishness is caused by crime and movies about crime. I think it's gotten to the point of being ridiculous, but that's the way of things sometimes.

And yes, using a 9mm to cut your food is considered bad form, pretty much no matter where you are.

SP

Because we evolve and build tools to make life easier...or im a grown man and its ingrained in me from being around farm and ranch life in Texas.

I use my pocket knife(gerber for the last 5 years, now an izula) multiple times every day - my co-workers know who to ask to open a box, etc. When people ask me why I carry a knife, (especially those asking in an aggressive manner) I tell them I carry a knife because my grandfather told me to. It is rather surprising to me, but I have never had anyone challenge me on that point. Of course, anyone who actually knew my grandfather would probably understand that!

There are jurisdictions out there, i.e. the UK, and individual authority figures who may ask you for what reason you carry a knife. ("For protection" is the wrong answer!) As if you needed a reason ...

"Good reason?"

My good reason to carry a knife is that God gave me rather weak teeth and rudimentary claws in an evolutionary trade-off. The hairy-armed person who figured out how to put an edge on a suitable rock made it possible for us to be recognizably human in the first place. I wear a wristwatch whether or not I have an appointment to keep, and I carry a pen and/or pencil because I am a literate person whether or not I have a specific writing task ahead of me, and I carry a knife because I am a human and not an ape.

A knife comes in handy for all sorts of random tasks that involve separating matter. Like cutting a string, or making a sandwich, or opening a package. It can also come in handy in an emergency, which need not involve a human assailant, and emergencies are by their nature unforseen, so one should carry a knife all the time.

And in a perfect world where nobody needed a weapon, I'd probaby carry a slightly larger knife, because it wouldn't scare people.

(For some longer thoughts in this direction, visit Daithi's essay at www.knives.com )

------------------
- JKM
www.chaicutlery.com
AKTI Member # SA00001

[This message has been edited by James Mattis (edited 06-18-2000).]

Esav for the win.
I owe you a cocktail my friend.
Words of wisdom. We Lost Mr. Mattis far too soon.

Last edited:
For me, the answer is simple: Because it makes me more efficient, as does a fork, spoon, pen, ect.. . We don't need those things, but they sure make life easier. :D

I keep a knife to open things, and whilst a pen may be used to open boxes it is a poor substitute. I keep a pen and paper so that I don’t have to borrow or improvise when leaving a message, I imagine scribing runes on furniture or front doors using a pocket knife so as to leave you friends a message is not as a good option as carrying a pen…

Tradition, utility, self defense, just for fun? I carry because I like to and thats all the reason I need.

"To drive my enemies before me and hear the lamentations of their women":D--KV

Back