"Good reason" to carry a knife

There are a couple of reasons that I carry a knife. The first one is rather simple and probably applies to a lot of people here, I simply like carrying one. In addition to this, it's a necessary tool in day to day life that I use several times during the day both at home or at work. This ranges from cutting cord, rope and opening boxes to something as simple as making a sandwich for lunch.

I am an American living in Europe and I get people calling my psycho and all kinds of other names because I love knives. It is a fun and interesting hobby for me. Those same people ALWAYS look to me first when they need a knife to cut something.

That is why I carry a knife; because sometimes you need one and you don't know when you will need it to do work with. why do I carry higher end knives? Because I like quality and reliability.

That whole question is really ridiculous to me as I've been carrying a pocket knife for 60+ years !! And yes the ask me for my knife when they need one .They watch me do the cutting but don't seem to change their views.

That whole question is really ridiculous to me as I've been carrying a pocket knife for 60+ years !! And yes the ask me for my knife when they need one .They watch me do the cutting but don't seem to change their views.

Nor do they appreciate the fact you had the character to do it for them and not tell them to "eff off."

There are jurisdictions out there, i.e. the UK, and individual authority figures who may ask you for what reason you carry a knife. ("For protection" is the wrong answer!) As if you needed a reason ...

"Good reason?"

My good reason to carry a knife is that God gave me rather weak teeth and rudimentary claws in an evolutionary trade-off. The hairy-armed person who figured out how to put an edge on a suitable rock made it possible for us to be recognizably human in the first place. I wear a wristwatch whether or not I have an appointment to keep, and I carry a pen and/or pencil because I am a literate person whether or not I have a specific writing task ahead of me, and I carry a knife because I am a human and not an ape.

A knife comes in handy for all sorts of random tasks that involve separating matter. Like cutting a string, or making a sandwich, or opening a package. It can also come in handy in an emergency, which need not involve a human assailant, and emergencies are by their nature unforseen, so one should carry a knife all the time.

And in a perfect world where nobody needed a weapon, I'd probaby carry a slightly larger knife, because it wouldn't scare people.

(For some longer thoughts in this direction, visit Daithi's essay at www.knives.com )

------------------
- JKM
www.chaicutlery.com
AKTI Member # SA00001

[This message has been edited by James Mattis (edited 06-18-2000).]

Bumping a excellent quote....

I am an American living in Europe and I get people calling my psycho and all kinds of other names because I love knives. It is a fun and interesting hobby for me. Those same people ALWAYS look to me first when they need a knife to cut something.

That is why I carry a knife; because sometimes you need one and you don't know when you will need it to do work with. why do I carry higher end knives? Because I like quality and reliability.

After three combat tours with EURO armies (armed social workers) I have little respect for them. The British Army being the exception.:thumbup:

Mr. Buck:

Just wanted to say thank you for making the knives that "got me into" the idea of "collecting" at around 12 yrs. of age. I still have most of my original BUCKS today....Im 47 now.

BUCK knives are as iconic and American as baseball, apple pie, hunting, fishing or anything of an "outdoor persuasion".

I can remember rather heated (but loveable) conversations w/ my grandfather where I "defended" BUCK, stating that "Soon the 110FG and the 119 Special "would be as highly regarded" as any CASE knife one could imagine!!"

That's my reason for carrying my BUCK 119 or ANY knife...it takes me back to a time when people were more RESPONSIBLE, and used common sense.

A time when folks were more "self-reliant", not curling up in the fetal position in fear, using "child safety" as an excuse to mask their own inadequate usage of the grey matter inside their skull.
Those days seem long ago and far away, never to return. I carried my 119fg in high school every day. Just a little over 20 years ago, but there isn't any reason we cant reclaim them before it gets worse.

Please attempt to cut through sisal or manila rope, not string but 1 inch circumference or larger rope, with craft or office scissors. Can I have my knife back now?

Just popping in to mention that I renewed my AKTI membership again this year at the BLADE show. Keep up the good work!

I cannot recall anytime that I am without a knife except on the plane when it has to ride in checked luggage, and that is a fairly recent development. Its the one tool that makes life easier and safer. A knife is practical tool that makes up for the shortfall of human anatomy.

I have had more than one Muskrat swim by with an evil glint in its eye.

Last edited:
Jesus did talk about getting a machete for the journey, but advised against cutting off ears, and only figuratively brought a sword instead of peace to the world in question of religion.
The human anatomy is capable of slicing and biting and making more cutting remarks than a muskrat.
That's why knives in the kitchen and on hunting trips or just going fishing are more natural than Uzis in cinemas or AK-47s in stadiums.
Best reason, if you have a SAK or Laguiole with a corkscrew. Rarely had problems with them even at airports. A SAK is a compendium of reasons to carry it, just ask the cop how many good reasons to carry an EDC he needs, and show him that your SAK has more.
Spoons actually are used to cut food in some cuisines - and, sorry for the pun, unlike knives even for tea,
t.

The BEST reason, IMHO:

I am not an animal...Knives, just like some other human inventions, sets me apart from animals and makes me human.

As long as I have a knife on my person, you will never see me opening packages with my teeth like a beast gnawing at a fresh kill.

You will never see me use sticks or stones like a chimpanzee to open items...

In short, I am a human being, I use knives.

All joking aside. The MAIN and basically only legitimate reason for my carry outdoors, if not hunting or fishing, is that a knife is a small portable tool to expedite fire and shelter creation or enhancement. Even then a medium to larger multi tool would be the more viable option for me.

Back