1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Got my first Busse.

Discussion in 'Busse Combat Knives' started by Mitch Crockett, Aug 28, 2019.

1. Mitch Crockett

Mitch Crockett

Aug 5, 2019
    Bg fbm.
    Black coat black g10.
    Shaves smooth out of the box, I accidentally grazed my remote with it...and wow like a hot knife through butter, I got thick skin and I work with knives alot but this thing is wiicccckedd.
    Any tips for keeping sharp?
    I strop and hone my other knives for meditation everyday, oil maybe 6 or 7 times a year.

2. Dangerneck

Dangerneck Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Dec 13, 2012
    Congratulations new Hog! What are you gonna use it for?

Mitch Crockett likes this.
  3. Mitch Crockett

Mitch Crockett

Aug 5, 2019
    Camping when I get a chance, also maybe do some brush removal on my families property in northern Michigan. I've been working and living in the city for a few years but when I go back to the woods I wanted a heavy chopper i couldn't break, at least not as easily.

Ironkid883 and Kenneth F Huls like this.
  4. WatermanChris

WatermanChris Platinum Member Platinum Member

Aug 30, 2018
    Hi Mitch!

Congrats and welcome! As long as you maintain them, a strop is all you should need. There's not much you can't do with a Battle Mistress but they excel at heavy use. IF you do manage to break it, it's all good. Just send it in and they'll replace it! It's the best warranty in the business.

5. Mitch Crockett

Mitch Crockett

Aug 5, 2019
    Thanks, I'm also on the list for that infinadu I figure that'll be easier to get my d2d needs completed while down here in the city. I didnt realize the Battle Mistress wasn't infi until I'd already been on the waitlist for a month so I decided to just go ahead and get both.

lmcq784, duramax, Ironkid883 and 2 others like this.
  6. Stump Buster

Stump Buster Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 15, 2007
    I don’t think you’ll be disappointed in the SR-101 at all.

CONGRATULATIONS on the BGFBM and welcome to the pen.

Mitch Crockett likes this.
  7. WatermanChris

WatermanChris Platinum Member Platinum Member

Aug 30, 2018
    SR-101 is probably better than any other steel on the market, besides INFI. This is mostly due to the legendary Busse heat treat process. There's nothing that steel can't do. If I wasn't in South Florida, with a climate that rusts plastic, I would have the majority of my blades in SR-101.

Ironkid883 and Mitch Crockett like this.
  8. tuica

tuica Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 30, 2013
    Congratulations and welcome to the madness. Someone was going to say it eventually. I first stumbled upon Bussekin in 2013. My first was a Swamp Rat Custom Shop Pumpkin RMD. I thought the $250 I paid for it was a bit steep - even for a great knife.

How many since then? I best not tell you, but a lot more than I had envisioned at that small beginning. You’ll find out soon enough.

Not quite an addiction, but as close to it as a reasonably sane man should travel. Good luck, and enjoy the ride. Lots of great knowledge on this site.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
  9. tuica

Jul 30, 2013
    PS - Some might not be aware of this site. Good information, but not as many photos as the seemingly defunct ‘Busse Bad Mojo’ site. But some of their photos are available through Google Images by searching for a specific Busse knife model. Be well, all.
    https://www.bussecollector.com/

Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
    gk4ever2 and Mitch Crockett like this.
  10. tuica

Jul 30, 2013
    Just pulled this at random. Some offerings from Knife Hunter. Can tell by his logo in the background.

upload_2019-8-28_21-50-7.jpeg

11. Private Klink

Private Klink Gold Member Gold Member

May 30, 2017
    Congrats Mitch, and welcome to the insanity!:confused:..........................................................:D:thumbsup:

12. erto

erto

Jun 26, 2015
    You will like it. I have green on green canvas and yes SR-101 is great steel for sure!

13. Ironkid883

Ironkid883 Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 29, 2018
    Welcome .
    Just over a yr in myself.your in the right place for busse check out the pics and the various busse threads enjoy dude

Mitch Crockett and tuica like this.
  14. lmcq784

lmcq784

Feb 5, 2010
    Welcome to the group! This is a fun place for sure, and so far, Busse knives are second to none. Enjoy your BGFBM and infidu.

My first was a swamp rat RMD in sr101, and I love that thing. One of the very best knives I own. You'll Love your infidu!

tuica and Mitch Crockett like this.
  15. Leonardo63

Leonardo63 Gold Member Gold Member

May 24, 2017
    Grats on the first one! As others have said, that SR101 is phenomenal steel, easy to sharpen and tough as hell.

16. Mitch Crockett

Mitch Crockett

Aug 5, 2019
    Thanks yall, I have no doubt in the sr101 my biggest concern at the moment is finding a name for her.

tuica likes this.
  17. resinguy

resinguy Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Congrats!!

Short of shooting the blade with a high-caliber rifle (yes, it's been done) it is essentially unbreakable.

18. PeteyTwoPointOne

PeteyTwoPointOne Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 10, 2014
    To keep sr101 at peak sharpness it needs to be deeply and frequently embedded into crotchwood <any species>...

you chose wisely :thumbsup:

Mitch Crockett and Leonardo63 like this.
  19. Steven65

Steven65 Traditional Hog Platinum Member

Mar 11, 2008
    Congrats!
    At some time or another we have all bought our first Busse but I have yet to meet anyone who has bought their last..........Welcome to the madness!!!;)

gunspease, Béma, blackhat and 3 others like this.
  20. DamascusBowie

DamascusBowie Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 20, 2016
    Welcome, but beware its an infinitely spiraling vortex that pulls with the power of a thousand black holes. Seriously, there's so many epic blades that its very easy to lust after many. And theres nothing like another Busse. Ive fulfilled all my knife needs long ago, had everything I could handle and more, but you'll find that each knife is epic in a different way and being a knife, the most important implement in human history, some kind of survival hoarding instinct kicks in.

I like other things besides knives, I like watches, electronics, guitars, books, and I enjoy those, but its another level with knives, they're just so primal and important, and feel damn good by your side that its easy to get carried away, and we do. Although, I rest easy knowing that there's hogs out there that put my puny dozen to shame and that's a good thing that makes me feel like Im entirely sane :D:cool::thumbsup: