1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Got my first Busse.

Discussion in 'Busse Combat Knives' started by Mitch Crockett, Aug 28, 2019.

1. tuica

tuica Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 30, 2013
    Great comments above. “Last Bussekin purchased?” Don’t overlook the Swamp Rat, and Scrap Yard offerings. I have a few that are my favorites. ‘Battle Rat’ my number one Yard Keeper. Yes, hogs. The last two words the name of a rare Scrap Yard model.

Of course. Last Bussekin purchased...This month.

Be prepared. You’ll hear this one a lot. “You paid that much for a knife?” Don’t be alarmed. We know what we’re doing. But do your research, and follow prices. Many sellers pull prices off post after sale. But a discrete Private Message, or email inquiry will usually get you the actual selling price. It’s a mixture - as it is in most guy interactions - of cooperation and competition.

Good luck on your quest. Remain Diligent - Determined - Decisive. My personal motto. Good for many life arenas.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2019
    WatermanChris and Mitch Crockett like this.
  2. Leonardo63

Leonardo63 Gold Member Gold Member

May 24, 2017
    I just bought my last one today off the X :D .... and everyone knows I just lied my ass off - I'm going to stop at 2 or 3 probably :po_O

Mitch Crockett and tuica like this.
  3. gk4ever2

gk4ever2 Gold Member Gold Member

May 1, 2008
    @Mitch Crockett , Welcome to BladeForums and the Busse forum in particular! Congrats on your FBM - it's a great knife! :cool:

or maybe less insane ;):D

Mitch Crockett, tuica and sixplymaple like this.
  4. sixplymaple

sixplymaple Basic Member Basic Member

Aug 3, 2018
    Congrats man! I bought my first Busse 5 months ago. I now have 4 and am a regular Busse forum visitor. Pretty sure that is how it goes... I think they mix coke in with their steel or something haha.

Mitch Crockett and tuica like this.
  5. duramax

duramax KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 29, 2012
    Welcome to the Busse forum :) great place , great people , great knives !!!!

gk4ever2, Mitch Crockett and tuica like this.
  6. Mitch Crockett

Mitch Crockett

Aug 5, 2019
    Thanks everybody, dont worry I've already started lusting after other blades...I thought the only way to get one was ebay or direct and I'm not very tech savvy so I have issues trusting ebay.
    But after I ordered my first then my second I saw the trough raider and thought "ohhhhh wow, should I really? Nah I'll be reasonable and content...for now."
    And that TGLB LE...dannggg...

tuica and sixplymaple like this.
  7. gk4ever2

gk4ever2 Gold Member Gold Member

May 1, 2008
    Be careful on eBay - there are some price gougers there :mad:, so like @tuica said, follow prices so you know what is fair. Over the past 18 years, I bought the majority of my Busse knives on the exchange here - prices are usually reasonable (or you can make an offer if the price seems high), and there is a very small likelihood of buying a fake here (not always so for eBay). Enjoy the ride! :)

tuica and Mitch Crockett like this.
  8. sixplymaple

Aug 3, 2018
    Not sure if you have seen it, but this is probably your best bet for 2nd hand Busse at decent prices. The guys on here are very reasonable with prices. Ebay is hit or miss. Here's the link... https://www.bladeforums.com/forums/busse-swamprat-scrapyard-knives-for-sale.804/

Also, Busse makes announcements on this forum about upcoming products and has a lot of their sales through this site. Here is a helpful link that I use to keep track of all the latest product announcements. Save it in your favorites... https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/busse-2019-offerings.1634299/

9. Mitch Crockett

Mitch Crockett

Aug 5, 2019
    Thanks again yall for the links, I didnt really figure out how the sales worked until I'd gone ahead and placed a direct order for the fbm, then I realized it's mostly here and i ordered the infidu. Been checking back everyday just to see what's going on for awhile now.

tuica and sixplymaple like this.
  10. sixplymaple

Aug 3, 2018
    I did the exact same thing when I first heard about Busse. I ordered a Swamp Rat Ratmandu off their site. Before I even got it in the mail I stumbled across this section of the forum. Then I realized INFI was a better steel and just had to have one. I bought an INFI blade from a user on here before my Ratmandu shipped out lol. Your experience is very similar to mine.

11. Mitch Crockett

Mitch Crockett

Aug 5, 2019
    Yeah that kinda tripped me out at first but then I realized it's more of a community involvement with the circulation of product, not necessarily exclusive just more "cozy" like I see how the maker interacts with the group and that's cool. Just a tad tricky to navigate at first.
    I'm happy with the sr101, if hes making it selling it approving it, I'm sure it's worth every penny.
    Still the infi is supposed to be the "main event" or "flag ship" steel so I'm pretty excited to be getting both.

WatermanChris, tuica and sixplymaple like this.
  12. JACKMANDU

JACKMANDU Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 10, 2019
    Congrats on 2 great blades! Ratmandu and BGFBM where my first Busse Kin blades. I love that Ratmandu, what a great knife. It started it all for me. I spent a long time watching the forum for a Infidu for sale. I finally got one, along with many other blades over the last year. You came here at a great time! The FHFG Infimandu is going to be a legend one day. That is my favorite knife in my favorite grind. I never expected it to be made. You done good brother! You started your collection with a bang. If I can recommend just one more to keep an eye out for, it would be a TGLB. I could also recommend many more! Good luck hunting for your next must have Busse, and welcome!

13. Mitch Crockett

Mitch Crockett

Aug 5, 2019
    That TGLB is a bad girl just saying lol

tuica likes this.
  14. tuica

tuica Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 30, 2013
    I have purchased most of my Bussekin here on the Exchange. But also a good many on eBay. With time, you’ll get proficient at the hunt.

Mitch Crockett likes this.
  15. DamascusBowie

DamascusBowie

Sep 20, 2016
    The real secret to scoring great knives at fair prices is to be patient and vigilant on the exchange. Every once in a while a good old hog will list an epic blade for a quick sale, and man do they go quick when it happens.

16. WatermanChris

WatermanChris Platinum Member Platinum Member

Aug 30, 2018
    I have a TGLB that I scored on the exchange for a good deal. Email me at christconnell at Yahoo if you're interested and I'll hook you up. :thumbsup::cool:

17. Bigfattyt

Bigfattyt Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 23, 2007
    Crockett, congrats on a great first Busse. My first was a FBMLE back in 2005? Traded into it and custom knife from Bill Siegle.

The FBM, is in my opinion, one of the quintessential Busse knives.

SR101 is a superb steel, in large choppers and in small fixed blades. Great steel.

I had the pieces of a Bushwacker LE that some one shot with a 50BMG app round. It was part of a package deal. Poor guy.

18. Garth Reckner

Garth Reckner Moderator Moderator

Dec 13, 2004
    Welcome to our corner of Bladeforums. Sounds like you are off to the starts of a great collection. Congrats.

Garth

Mitch Crockett likes this.
  19. Kenneth F Huls

Kenneth F Huls Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 11, 2012
    Another tip:
    Be an active but polite, complimentary, giving-type on the forum. Develop relationships through a few purchases and be a great buyer. Return solids. Chat privately once in a while with some of these great knife aficionados. You will find that these folks are the most generous around and really want to help you share in the Busse experience. If fortune finds you, you will be offered what you seek at really, really fair prices. Sometimes these good folks will even ask you what you are looking for and then hook you up. Return the favor.

I truly hope I am living here online in accord with this ethos.

Welcome to the madness and a terrific community!

20. Kenneth F Huls

Kenneth F Huls Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 11, 2012
    T
    his is what I mean. :):thumbsup:

Chris the Waterman is a true gem of an online friend and the kind of guy to get to know around here. He has helped me out a great deal and is a real pleasure to deal with and get to know.

Best rgds