Great Eastern Cutlery: #66 - Equal End Serpentine

I'm comparing against a favourite and all time classic Schrade pattern that is variously found as the 'ramrod' 98OT, SS 825, 895, 861, 899, 897UH and other variations including the Craftsman 95068 pictured below. Both this pattern and the GEC #66 have a main blade thickness of 3/32" and a secondary blade of 2/32".

JmVXJj7.jpg

These two knives are more similar than the picture would indicate. The thickness at the bolster in the GEC
is about 1/16th more than the Schrade.

Last edited:
Stropping Young Lad Stropping Young Lad - that's my point, there is no difference in the thickness of the main blades, which is why prefer the more slender result that Schrade etc achieve in their design.

Not saying I don't like this knife, just saying I prefer the other.

Oh- maybe it's an optical illusion, it looked like the GEC main tang was about a liner's width thicker.

I'm comparing against a Schrade pattern that is variously found as the 98OT, SS 825, 895, 861, 899, 897UH and other variations. Both this pattern and the GEC #66 have a main blade thickness of 3/32" and a secondary blade of 2/32".

The thickness at the bolster in the GEC
is about 1/16th more than the Schrade.
Thank you!:thumbsup:

Just received my Tortoise Shell 66. All three blades have excellent W&T to go along with the F&F of the knife itself. Another great winner.

Two points: I'm not sure of the reason for the wavy shield other than to confuse this old man. I do like that GEC tried something a little different. Second, for all of you who shy away from acrylics, your loss. Try it you'll like it, maybe even be hooked.

View attachment 737088
Yeah. I decided to try the acrylic and did not expect much, but when I got it, wow, was I impressed. It is beautiful.

Yeah. I decided to try the acrylic and did not expect much, but when I got it, wow, was I impressed. It is beautiful.
I'm glad it worked out for you. My concern before buying my first acrylic was how well it would hold up to everyday usage. Since I don't put my knives through any heavy use acrylic has actually shown less scratches/dings etc. than some other covers.

Having seen how GEC's Peachseed does with 3 years of pocket time, I couldn't resist the Dark Chestnut - hopefully my 66 ends up looking as good as my 15...

20170719_211335.jpg~original

Huge kudos to GEC on this knife... the secondary blades are not as snappy as some but they are already smoothing out, I'm sure they'll get better with time. As somebody else mentioned, this thing is actually sharp! I just gave it a few licks on the strop and all three blades are shaving sharp. I was really not looking forward to fully sharpening three blades.. Really nice bone to bolster transitions, overall just really, really nice!

Last edited:
Nice pocket worn look on that 15. Will you continue to carry it along with the 66 or will the 66 take its place? Just curious. Seems like it would be hard to switch after carrying the 15 for 3 years.

Thanks, all, for the pictures and impressions. Keep 'em coming!

I'll say it again: the #66 frame is a great platform, and the Calf Roper one of my favorite patterns thereon. I'm thrilled GEC has released the pattern again, in such wonderful variety.

IMG_2333.jpg~original

(My short run edition from a 'tweener run a few years back.)

I'm hoping someone brings a 2017 Calf Roper to this year's GEC Rendezvous; I'm interested in comparing the relative blade pulls in person.

~ P.

Nice pocket worn look on that 15. Will you continue to carry it along with the 66 or will the 66 take its place? Just curious. Seems like it would be hard to switch after carrying the 15 for 3 years.

We will see, I've had a lot of other attempts to unseat the 15 from my pocket but so far none have been successful (other than a Vic Pioneer, which I carry about as often). It's been in my pocket probably an average of 4 days per week since I got it, often times with other knives along for the ride ~ the 66 with the gorgeous bone and nicely proportioned clip blade may be enough though! I wish it were all steel, I love watching the patina come and go off the bolsters on my all steel knives, but this one sure is pretty!

I completely understand. I've had a similar experience with one of my Queen Railsplitters. Every time I try to replace it with something else it lasts for a day or two and then the Railsplitter is right back in my pocket again. I've all but given up on trying to replace it. As much as I adore these Calf Ropers I really don't think any of them are going kick it out of my pocket.

The Railsplitter got shipped out Monday for a professional sharpening and I already feel naked without it. So yes, I completely understand.

Just out of the box the walk and talk of the secondaries is a bit dissapointing. But it feels a bit gritty too and I saw some gunk coming out between the spring and the liner so I'm pretty sure a good flushing session will improve things considerably.

And the looks and feel of this knife ..... Even after seeing all the pics in this topic added on the anticipation it still blows me away! Just beautiful and I like the solid feel in hand. Unfortunatly I'm unable to capture the real color of the bone, this was the best I could get out of my phone for now.

Just out of the box the walk and talk of the secondaries is a bit dissapointing. But it feels a bit gritty too and I saw some gunk coming out between the spring and the liner so I'm pretty sure a good flushing session will improve things considerably.

And the looks and feel of this knife ..... Even after seeing all the pics in this topic added on the anticipation it still blows me away! Just beautiful and I like the solid feel in hand. Unfortunatly I'm unable to capture the real color of the bone, this was the best I could get out of my phone for now.

Thanks for posting, I'm [im]patiently waiting for mine!

I am waiting for the stags!! I hear they are slowly emerging into final inspection!

Back