Great Grandpa's Knife

67nick

Gold Member
I was given a knife for my birthday/Christmas and I thought I'd share it with ya'll, being that we traditional folks appreciate gift giving and a nice back-story. ;)

This year, to my surprise, my parents gave me an old brass bartender's knife to add to my collection, and according to my grandmother it was her father's knife originally, but was given to my grandfather after some time. My grandmother told me that my great grandfather used the knife to whittle while my grandfather carried it as an EDC before he passed away. It came to me in really dirty/greasy condition, kind of like it had been in a mechanics shop. I washed it out with a little mineral oil and low and behold some old wood splinters came loose from the springs. Kinda neat to think that the splinters could have been lodged in there by my great grandfather himself :)

After getting some of the grime off I was also able to make out the tang stamps, one side reads "Coca Cola Bottling Co. / Germany" while the other says "Kastor & Co." with a four leaf clover emblem. Per my research, Kastor & Co. used these markings between 1893-1902, right around the time period my great grandfather would have still been carrying a pocket knife... I hope ya'll enjoy the pics and if you have any additional info on the knife or Kastor & Co. I'd love to hear it! Thanks again and happy holidays. :thumbup:

That's really cool. Knowing the history makes the knife priceless... It is a nice touch marking the tangs Coca-Cola. I don't remember seeing that on a knife before

That's really cool. Knowing the history makes the knife priceless...

Yep, the family history really does make it priceless. Hopefully one day it will become my son or daughter's knife. We just found out my wife is pregnant but it's too early to tell if get's going to be a boy or girl...

History makes these knives. When you see them in a box at a knife show, divorced from their history, they are easy to pass over. When the history is added, I love them.

History makes these knives. When you see them in a box at a knife show, divorced from their history, they are easy to pass over. When the history is added, I love them.

Very well said sir, very well said!

1905-1914 actually, but a cool knife with a cool history nonetheless. :thumbup:

Awesome knife!

Thanks for the pictures and story!

best

mqqn

This is awesome, I love these stories - with a known history it does indeed make these things so fascinating. Thanks for sharing and congrats on a precious gift.

I don't want to shock you Nick but this knife is a very rare Coca Cola knife indeed! I have been a serious coke collector for more than 20 years and have all the books to document and research these type of items. Your knife is worth $500 Bucks! Kastor & Co. This information was acquired from 12th Edition Petretti's Coca Cola Collectables price guide from 2008. MONEY right there! Congrats on being given a rare gift indeed.

Last edited:
Course with the blade loss and broken, you're probably looking at somewhere round $350 still.

If I remember correctly, it was a Kastor that started Camillus. Maybe Adolf Kastor? I think there were two brothers. I wish I could remember where I was reading about it.

Anyway, it's a neat knife and that it's a heirloom makes it priceless.

Yes Neil, you're right. There were 2 brothers, in 1901 they purchased the Camillus factory in NY. Adolf and Nathan were the 2 brothers. Later more Kastor brothers, August and Alfred. In 1947 the Kastor bros. name was dropped and was Camillus for then on.

Thanks for the correction on the dates Codger and thanks Singin50 and Neil for the monetary and historical background, I really appreciate the info. I just looked up the maker in Goins book, very cool history to the company!

Wow, what a great piece of history :)

Very cool knife, and VERY cool story. Family history does indeed make it priceless.

Four brothers, yes. Adolph came over first and was given a job in the hardware business by his uncle Aaron Kastor and his partner Henry Bodenheim who happened to be the grandfather of the Baer brothers (Eventual owners of Ulster, Schrade, Imperial and Camillus). Eventually Adolph started his own cutlery import business and broutht over his three brothers, Sigmund, August and Nathan. Nathan returned to Germany and founded the A. Kastor and Bros. factory there, Germania in ohligs-Solengin. They didn't buy out the Sherwood owned Camillus until a few years later. You will see some of their imported knives marked with "J. Koesters Sons", a tribute to their father who was a Burgermeister in Germany.

oiyyw6.jpg

Here is one of their Germania knives in my collection. A pearl gentleman's manicure butterfly knife.

24wqzvm.jpg

ETA: The other Kastor, Alfred, was one of Adolph's sons. The other was Robert Kastor. They inherited 2/3rds of the business from their father and uncles, 1/3rd having been bought by Albert Baer from August when he retired.

zwfcdu.jpg

Last edited:
Back