Grohmann knives

Hi, have you anybody tested some of the Canadian Grohmann Russel Belt knives? I am interested in any experience. Thank you. Standa

The original, I beleve, is the one with an elliptical blade with an offset handle; it won a design award and is displayed in some prestigious museum. This is a very usable knife; you can use the blade on a surface right to the heel as your fingers won't get pinched due to the offset grip. Handy size, just right for opening game. The drop point makes it a good opener. The only problem might be with the slim handle in wet or cold conditions, but I never found that to be much of a problem. They come in no-name carbon and no-name stainless steel. I asked Grohmann once but never got an answer as to what steel is used. The carbon is pretty good, takes a good edge; maybe 1095; I don't know about the stainless. They also come with a good sheath. There are several more specialized models, a skinner with an upswept blade, another with a more spear pointed blade, and a large clumsy-looking heavier blade. The rosewood handles are handsome. The price, with the Canadian peso at about 65 cents US, should make them a bargain.

Hi Standa, Grohmann knives are among my favorites. Without going on and on, my best suggestion is to go explore http://www.grohmannknives.com and read some of the testimonials, customer letters etc. on their site.

The stainless is 4110 German stainless and their carbon is a European C70, which I think is similar to the 1084, with Rosewood, Dymondwood (Xtra), and stag handles available.

Grohmann has won many awards and have a display in New York's Museum of Modern Art, but what matters is how they feel in your hand.

R1 specifications: blade is 4" by 1" from 1/8" stainless stock, overall length is 8 1/2"

R2 specifications: blade is 3 7/8" by 3/4" from 3/32 stock, overall length is 8".

Both hollow ground.

(There are also the several other models, including skinners, their Boat knife, three folders, and the Campers, which are same shape and materials as the R1/2, but flat ground.)

Hope that helps...

------------------
Tom
Click here for Grohmann and Marble's knives.

You're not being rude, just stating your opinion. My opinion is that in the mid $50 US it's hard to find a knife that feels as good in the hand and pleasant to work with.

I have to disagree with the comment on overpricing. In fact, I think they are one of the best deals around in a production fixed blade. And a very stylish yet traditional northwoods knife.

------------------
Hoodoo

I get some pleasure from finding a relentlessly peaceful use for a combative looking knife.
JKM

Standa,
I have a groman # 3 (boat knife) in stainless steel. I like the size and like the shape, but the steel does seem a little soft. I find that I have to resharpen fairly often, even with cutting small amounts of rope. Having said that, the handle is one of the simplest and most ergonomic I have ever experienced.

------------------
Hugh

Standa,

I think that you will be pleased with the Grohmann knives (I am!). I also noticed that you are posting from the Czech Republic. Mr. Grohmann was originally recruited from your part of the world by D.H. Russell to make knives in Canada.

I'm a quarter Czech (Bohemian, 4th generation in U.S.) so perhaps that is why I am fond of both Grohmann knives and Pilsner. Also, unless you have a local source I highly recommend Tom Marshman as a source for Grohmann knives. He delivers great service and carries both the carbon steel and stainless Grohmann knives in his inventory. Also, from my perspective, they are not overpriced but a bargin. All the best, Alan

The ones i looked at were in the $90-$100 range i felt they were not worth it.As i remember when i was younger they were much cheaper, and i feel the quality hasnt improved to the new price levels....just my opinion!!!

To you all: Thank you!

To Tom Marshman: Thank you for your information of Grohmann knives steel, I did not know it.

To jh: Thank you for your opinion. But what knife you think is not over priced? This would be useful information for me.

To hat: I have already got the Grohmann Russell knife Original Design #1 so I must take into account that I will have to resharpen it more often than I might expect. Thank you for telling me your experience.

To Alan: I knew the Czech origin of Mr Grohmann before and this fact played a role in my decision, too. I was a bit uncertain if I had chosen well. I am affraid the other guys are not interested in Czechia and Czech beers so much, so I wrote you an e-mail yesterday.

To all: I am going to see the exhibition Knife 2000 in Prague, Czech Republic this weekend. I would like to buy a folder there. I hope there will be a great selection of them and perhaps an exhibition discount. Can you tell me please what is the best folder available at a price about 150 USD?
Should I rather place this question to another topics? It is a bit hidden here.

To jh: Are you speeking of USD or CAD? The price of the Grohmann Russell Knife # 1 in stainless steel is 69 CAD today according to the producer's price list that I received a month ago. That is about 45 USD, isn't it? You might got some older prices. Standa

hmmmmm...the ones i looked at were much more (90-100 dollar range). 45 would be good!...oh also in refernce to what i think is not overpriced, i would have to say the hubertus and herbertz hunting knives (that is if you know where to get them!, for a good price!!), also i would have to say the buck hunting knives, the nighthawk, vanguard, ect are worth the money, also if you can get kabars for around 30 dollars, which you can some places are worth it. I hope no one is offended by anything ive said, i surely do not mean to if i have.

Standa, also a good place for you to get knives would be www.kinfeshop.com in austria, sometimes you can find really good prices there (as long as your looking at european cutlery that is)...hope this can help you!!!...also you could try bayou lafourche in louisianna, usa at 1-888-225-9775...also theres smoky mountain at 1-800-251-9306.

Originally posted by jh:
hmmmmm...the ones i looked at were much more (90-100 dollar range). 45 would be good!...oh also in refernce to what i think is not overpriced, i would have to say the hubertus and herbertz hunting knives (that is if you know where to get them!, for a good price!!), also i would have to say the buck hunting knives, the nighthawk, vanguard, ect are worth the money, also if you can get kabars for around 30 dollars, which you can some places are worth it. I hope no one is offended by anything ive said, i surely do not mean to if i have.

jh, no offense here. At the prices you are quoting, I can understand your concern. I would be interested in knowing more about the hubertus and herbertz hunting knives you mentioned.

------------------
Hoodoo

I get some pleasure from finding a relentlessly peaceful use for a combative looking knife.
JKM

No offense here...if I saw them for 90-100 for Grohmann knives (unless you get stag), I'd say that was a lot, too.

On the other hand, a Steve Johnson rendition of the Russell belt knife is in a class by itself:

grohman.jpg

------------------
Tom
Click here for Grohmann and Marble's knives.

Tom, that IS a beauty! What's the story behind it?

------------------
Hoodoo

JKM

Tom, Hoodoo, Ed-

I have been looking at these for awhile and I think I am going to buy one.

But, what do you like about each? What model works best for what for you?

Just looking for some more info. I have to say that the Boat and Survival speak to me the most.

Tom, BTW, those are some nice images of the Grohmanns on you site.

------------------
Thank you,
Marion David Poff aka Eye, Cd'A ID, USA mdpoff@hotmail.com

>>--->Bill Siegle Custom Knives<---<<
-http://www.geocities.com/siegleknives-

Talonite Resource Page, nearly exhaustive!!

Fire Page, metal match sources and index of information.

"We will either find a way, or make one." Hannibal, 210 B.C.

Well, I have one of the originals (R1) in carbon steel, and have done several deer and a moose with it. It is an excellent all-round knife and the carbon steel is quite good though not as good as Carbon V or 52100, IMHO. My old friend Tommy Tompkins, the noted Canadian photographer and bushman, carried the stainless boat model. I prefer carbon steel, all else being equal, and the uinique design of the original is what sets it apart.

Back