• Preorders are LIVE for the 2024 BladeForums Traditional Knife

Traditional Knife Information Thread - make sure you go in there and read up.

Requirements: Be a Gold or higher member or have been a member of the forums since 6/2023 with at least 100 posts in the Traditional Forum. Preorder is for people who live in the continental US only, international orders will be separate.

Delivery expected in Q4 2024, hopefully before the holidays.

User Name
    Serial number request

Grohmann knives

Marion,
I like the Camper. It's a thin blade with a flat grind. Mine is stainless but I'm thinking about getting a carbon steel blade. In general, I like the design and beauty of these knives. I also like the way they feel in my hand. Blade up or blade down, the knife feels comfy. I also like the lightness of the knife. In this regard, they are similar to puukkos. Great for backpacking. The sheath dangles too, like most puukkos and so is very comfortable to wear. The only downside I can see is that the steel is not as glamorous as other steels. Doesn't bother me. That's why I have crocksticks. The blade is very serviceable and the thin blade of the camper makes it a very versatile blade overall. The droppoint makes it great for hunting and the thin blade and offset handle makes it a whizbang in the kitchen (although not as handy as a good chef's knife). I had to reprofile the edge on mine a bit when I first got it but that didn't take long on my GATCO. Overall, if you want a fixed blade that is attractive, serviceable, comfortable, and light to carry, the Grohmanns are great.

------------------
Hoodoo

I get some pleasure from finding a relentlessly peaceful use for a combative looking knife.
JKM

I didn't realize MDP had posted the sheath question here until after I e-mailed him a reply, so I'll post it in case anyone else might be curious:

The options for the Boat Knife are:

Flap sheath (called the Canadian Armed Forces R3SA or CA carbon)

Pouch with sharp steel (called the Sportsman's Model R3SS or CS)

Pouch with marlin spike (R3SM).

I only stock the R3S and R3C, pouch sheaths. Getting the other options
shouldn't be a problem and would only add a couple days to delivery.

I hope that helps.

(As an aside the Boat is the only Grohmann fixed blade available with a partial serration.)

Obviously neither steel happens to be the steel of the moment, but just reading the posts from Hoodoo and Alberta Ed are testament to how the knives perform. Touching up an edge is a small tradeoff for the pleasure of using a good design.

The SRJohnson Russell is a knife that I want to own but don't as of yet. I'm going through the justifications and priorities gyrations for spending that kind of money. (New clutch or SRJ Grohmann?) in my mind.

Anyway, I was perusing Steve's site and my heart skipped a beat when I saw it last week and wanted to make its presence known to other DH Russell fans. Plus judging from what other knifemakers say about Steve's work, I'm sure it's as close to perfect a Russell Belt Knife could get.

MDP thanks for the compliment. I've got to get cracking and get some other scans in for the rest of them.

Okay, I'm done.

Tom can you post a link to the Johnson knife?

------------------
Hoodoo

I get some pleasure from finding a relentlessly peaceful use for a combative looking knife.
JKM

jh no offence here. I wrote you the price as a possible good opportunity.
Thanks for the types on the hubertus, herbertz, buck, nighthawk, vanguard and kabars hunting knives.

Thanks for the links, guys. Tom, as beautiful as that knife may be, it's out of my price range. Guess I'll have to make my own.
smile.gif
Would love to do one in A2. I still haven't got my "knifeshop" up and running. Sigh.
frown.gif

------------------
Hoodoo

JKM

Topical drift, but we are in the exact same boat. I've been working on aquiring some tools of the trade. Even harder to come by at the moment is time.

A-2 or 52100 in Micarta in that design would be a joy to use.

(BTW, have you been to the CKD forum?)

[This message has been edited by Tom Marshman (edited 10-23-2000).]

Originally posted by Tom Marshman:

(BTW, have you been to the CKD forum?)

No. Don't know what that is. BTW, I sent you an email. I think you have a bug at your site. It wants to crash my browser.

------------------
Hoodoo

JKM

Back