Gso 6

^^ I understand that to be true too. I just hope that the new 6.0 is close to the start of the post Starter production schedule. It's great to know I'm not alone in thinking this knife will be awesome, because let's face it, it's going to have to be to be worth the wait.

In the meantime, more pics, more choilless comradery, and just perhaps, we'll help make production happen sooner. At worst, at least we aren't waiting alone.

Last edited:
The 6 looks great just the way it is! Gotta find one now......... :thumbup:

Guy or Ellie, I'm guessing Ellie, just posted a response to someone on Facebook that the 6 won't be part of the starter and that Guy has not had a chance to plan out his revisions yet. I don't want to dash anyone's dreams, but wanted to let you know what I saw in regards to a possible timeline for the 6 release. It must have gotten put on the back burner while he was working on other revisions and the 12 and the folder.

Patience =)

Me too. Who would be happy with a choilless 5.1 Starter (with a +. 25" blade to = 6")? Or perhaps an alternative would be to give it the 4.7 treatment?

Guy has said he's tried to have a different purpose in mind for each model, which I think looks to have worked out well with the starters. With the purpose of the new 6.0, my hope is that he doesn't stray too much from his original description of the 5.1:

"The SURVIVE! GSO-5.1, a full sized medium utility knife, is one of the most versatile cutting tools in the SURVIVE! line up. The robust, well balanced design of this tool allows you to tackle a wide variety of tasks with relative ease. The very manageable size and weight of the GSO-5.1 is solid and confident in your hand, without being heavy or feeling bulky."​

Regardless, with my XL hands, I'm going to appreciate the longer handle and larger palm swell.

I had to email Ellie regarding combining my two preorders, so took the opportunity to ask about the 6.0 as well. The good news is its on the drawing board for a redesign, and scheduled for production after the Starters are all done and delivered.

My guess is early 2016, and I'm sure looking forward to it.

IMAG0413_zps3dd50da8.jpg

IMAG0412_zpsc83a471b.jpg

IMAG0411_zps5e499761.jpg

I dunno? I can't see the six doing anything a 5.1 can't or anything a 10 can. I left out the 7.7 because I dont think survival is its primary purpose.

PS great photos above!

Last edited:
I dunno? I can't see the six doing anything a 5.1 can't or anything a 10 can. I left out the 7.7 because I dont think survival is its primary purpose.

PS great photos above!

Not to stir this up, but I think the 6 vs 5.1 is all about that blade length and weight and no choil vs choil.

ALSO, I think SURVIVE! is a one of a kind company with a great philosophy and great people, but Guy's original designs don't make me all warm and tingly like the current models do.

I'll save my big rant for another time and another post, but the giant convex and the finger cutouts in the handle and the bolted handles just don't do it for me. I really do love how Guy's designs have evolved!

Yeah, I agree the 5.1 is the perfect knife. Just get rid of the choil and keep it the same length! Haha

Yeah, I agree the 5.1 is the perfect knife. Just get rid of the choil and keep it the same length! Haha

I think this was the reasoning behind the birth of the 6, right? Did the 5.1 come first and the 6 then later on to appease the choil haters?

I'm ok without the length of the choil. Can't wait for my 5 to arrive!

Or the 6 could be to the 7/7 that the 5 is to the 5.1. At least that's what I've always thought. It's a good knife and I hope Guy brings it back soon.

you know i love the 6 but the thing i struggle with is the handle. It just is a tad short and that is what keeps me from using it at this point because I want to wait to see if the new one will motivate me to sell this one in hopes of getting a new one. I would love to sand on the end of this handle some to see if that changed things for me but the knife is new and unused so I think I will just wait. Drives me nuts though because i love the blade

you know i love the 6 but the thing i struggle with is the handle. It just is a tad short and that is what keeps me from using it at this point because I want to wait to see if the new one will motivate me to sell this one in hopes of getting a new one. I would love to sand on the end of this handle some to see if that changed things for me but the knife is new and unused so I think I will just wait. Drives me nuts though because i love the blade

I'd need to double check, but I'm pretty sure all the updated models received longer handles. I would guess the same will happen to the 6.

Back