Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Had a wonderful surprise today, Guardians. Got home after work and found an unexpected package in my mailbox. Air mail. From England! A postcard inside informed me that Taylor ( tmd_87 tmd_87 ), winner of the third lambsfoot in Jack Black Jack Black 's recent GAW, had instructed Jack to forward the prize to me! :)

It is a limited edition African Rosewood lambsfoot from A. Wright & Son. And a gorgeous specimen!

What a lovely gesture, Taylor. A million thanks!

Jack included a few goodies in the package:
jqVp85y.jpg

A Leeds "Potts Clocks Heritage Trail" walking map; an interesting postcard; a lamb button; an old Irish coin (!); a Yorskshire pen; a Guinness (best drink in the world) pencil; and a White Rose of Yorkshire magnet. What a treat!

Here's a picture of the knife in the sun (about an hour before sunset):
KSuF61x.jpg

Lovely covers, and great fit and finish. I'm going to put an even better edge on it later this week with my Arkansas stone, and flush the joints even if it doesn't need it. The pull is perfect, and the lockup is tight. Feels great in the hand. What a pleasant surprise! :)

Thanks again to Taylor, and a big thanks to Jack. This is the best thread in the best forum on the internet.

Cheers!
What a great surprise! You deserve it! Way to go Taylor :thumbsup: What a wonderful gesture from, and to, a couple of the best :)
OG

Had a wonderful surprise today, Guardians. Got home after work and found an unexpected package in my mailbox. Air mail. From England! A postcard inside informed me that Taylor ( tmd_87 tmd_87 ), winner of the third lambsfoot in Jack Black Jack Black 's recent GAW, had instructed Jack to forward the prize to me! :)

It is a limited edition African Rosewood lambsfoot from A. Wright & Son. And a gorgeous specimen!

jqVp85y.jpg

A Leeds "Potts Clocks Heritage Trail" walking map; an interesting postcard; a lamb button; an old Irish coin (!); a Yorskshire pen; a Guinness (best drink in the world) pencil; and a White Rose of Yorkshire magnet. What a treat!

KSuF61x.jpg

Lovely covers, and great fit and finish. I'm going to put an even better edge on it later this week with my Arkansas stone, and flush the joints even if it doesn't need it. The pull is perfect, and the lockup is tight. Feels great in the hand. What a pleasant surprise! :)

Thanks again to Taylor, and a big thanks to Jack. This is the best thread in the best forum on the internet.

Cheers!
Vince, glad it came safe and sound. That knife is gonna look good in the beverage and blade thread as well!!! Just promise you will post it with an IPA....hahahah :p

Jack, thanks for throwing a great GAW!

jqVp85y.jpg

KSuF61x.jpg

Cheers!
Congratulations, Vince...
and what a super great gesture, Taylor!!!

Received my Wright snakewood lambsfoot today from Sheffield.
Pretty knife but... how's the pull on your examples everyone?
This one comes in at a 12 out of 10!
And the grind! Way, way off.
If I couldn't straighten it out myself I'd return it just because of the premium I paid for it.
Any advice for the pull? For the time being I oiled it and am leaving it half open to maybe weaken the spring a little.
bENWi1G.jpg

ZdyTIEb.jpg
You can check the first page of the thread where you can find an index, or link to an index, where this is discussed. You can try flushing the joints with oil and compressed air, and working the action over and over. Took me a little getting used to at first too. But I received a new lambsfoot today and it opens "easy as pie" now for me! Definitely stronger pulls than Case or Buck. Good luck!

jqVp85y.jpg

KSuF61x.jpg

Cheers!
What a wonderful, kind, and thoughtful gesture. Congratulations Vince. In a World which at times seem filed with meaness, tmd_87 tmd_87 Taylor’s gift says that there are still good and wonderful souls who care. It does one good to know there are still people like Taylor out there. Cheers to both of you.:):thumbsup:

What a wonderful, kind, and thoughtful gesture. Congratulations Vince. In a World which at times seem filed with meaness, tmd_87 tmd_87 Taylor’s gift says that there are still good and wonderful souls who care. It does one good to know there are still people like Taylor out there. Cheers to both of you.:):thumbsup:
You said it, Harvey! :thumbsup:

You can check the first page of the thread where you can find an index, or link to an index, where this is discussed. You can try flushing the joints with oil and compressed air, and working the action over and over. Took me a little getting used to at first too. But I received a new lambsfoot today and it opens "easy as pie" now for me! Definitely stronger pulls than Case or Buck. Good luck!
Thanks for the reply!
I'm late to the game on this thread so thanks for the direction to the index, it's daunting navigating 1100 pages...
Anyway, the pull on this one reminds me of my Otter-Messer anchor sheepsfoot with the Wright being stronger yet.
I worked the Otter for a long while and it was a bit simpler with more blade to hang onto.
It's still a strong pull but manageable.
I'll get some exercise with this one tomorrow...before I reprofile the edge.

Thanks for the reply!
I'm late to the game on this thread so thanks for the direction to the index, it's daunting navigating 1100 pages...
Anyway, the pull on this one reminds me of my Otter-Messer anchor sheepsfoot with the Wright being stronger yet.
I worked the Otter for a long while and it was a bit simpler with more blade to hang onto.
For what it’s worth, i have a routine that I’ve picked up on the Porch, and it usually lightens the pull. Forgive me if you already know this. I use compressed air to blow out any debris, WD 40 and/or mineral oil clean and lube the pivot, tang, etc. I open and close the blade a few million times. Ok...Slight exaggeration.:) Then after cleaning up the excess. I use a gun Lube like Ballestol or pick your favorite around the pivot. That won’t make the blade pinchable, but it also won’t make you want to fling that beautiful Snakewood into the ocean. Let us know your progress. Good luck and welcome.

Sad to say there may be more headed your way :( The skies are gray here today and look like they're tying to back up into another storm. I've even had to turn the furnace back on! Hope I'm wrong, but it looks like you may need to get ready to hunker down some more :oops:
Mean time, here's a pic I took while I was up the road. Hope it doesn't sound too egotistical, but I kinda like this one :rolleyes:
M6q9TRA.jpg

OG

I sure hope you beleaguered folks get some more seasonal weather soon :thumbsup: That's a great pic OG :) :thumbsup:

Glad you had a good weather day, Jack. You took some great photos. Architecture, people and wildlife combined to make a very interesting scene.

Thanks Preston, seeing the ducks just sitting out there on the wet pavement in front of the busy railway station made me reach for my camera :D The statue is of former British Prime Minister Harold Wilson, who was from Huddersfield. It has some quite grand architecture for a small town, but its heyday was many decades ago :thumbsup:

I started out the night with heat but it didn't work well at that elevation and eventually went out. I awoke in a not-so-snug cocoon of ice layering the inside of the uninsulated fiberglass shell camper. I was apprehensive about going back to sleep for fear of never waking so I eased on down the road to Gunnison headed east and south over Monarch Pass and didn't stop again until Ratón.

Sounds like quite an adventure Dwight! :eek: I'm glad you made it buddy :) :thumbsup:

Prester John and Jack - my friends those two Stags are looking SO good.
I received my Stag that I bought a wee while ago ( a forum member contacted me to ask if I was interested! ) - haven’t had time to post photos nor will I for a few weeks - but it’s in my pocket right now! :D :thumbsup:
Stout pull but it’s getting a lot better - LOVING IT!

Thanks Duncan, which model did you get?

Jack Black Jack Black enjoy the pints. Cheers. Fine image.

I use to enjoy watching the Ducks and Geese, that is until I lived with gaggles of them, trying to constantly dodge the many presents they leave. When they decide to hang out on my street, I present a comical sight as I gently guide them back to their watery home base.

Thanks Harvey :) I certainly wouldn't like that! :eek: :thumbsup:

Thanks, Jack. :thumbsup:
Lovely Stag there, my friend!

Thanks, Gary.:thumbsup: I always enjoy yours and others dog pics, as well. They look sooo content when sleeping. I swear Daisy smiles while she sleeps.:)

zOlsAmH.jpg

Thank you Mark, that's a lovely image :) :thumbsup:

Received my Wright snakewood lambsfoot today from Sheffield.
Pretty knife but... how's the pull on your examples everyone?
This one comes in at a 12 out of 10!
And the grind! Way, way off.
If I couldn't straighten it out myself I'd return it just because of the premium I paid for it.
Any advice for the pull? For the time being I oiled it and am leaving it half open to maybe weaken the spring a little.
bENWi1G.jpg

ZdyTIEb.jpg

Yikes! That blade is a MESS! :eek: You should send Wright's a copy of your photo :thumbsdown: I thought all the Snakewood models came with a polished blade, they have a pretty hefty price-tag I think. Still, edge apart, it does look nice :thumbsup:

Thanks, fellows! :thumbsup::D I appreciate all the wishes as my Sons must have forgotten me this time around.

I know that feeling Dave :rolleyes:

Dwight, I believe the Totem has positive powers :D all this selling and buying, moving etc etc are falling into place like Magic. :thumbsup::p
View attachment 1132590

Glad it's going well my friend :) :thumbsup: I'm sorry, I quote of your earlier pic was dropped from my multi-quote yesterday :( It's a great-looking knife :thumbsup:

Jack Black Jack Black - Jack with regard to your "tin box" inquiry, One of your tin boxes is winging its way to NSW Australia even as we speak. :) And just let me say I really like em. I have always liked small boxes since I was a kid. My mom is the same way so I guess it's DNA. Anyway I thank you for that extra bit of thoughtfulness that accompanies your standard kindness and thoughtfulness that can so easily be taken for granted. Sleep well my friend.

Thank you Dwight, you're very kind :) :thumbsup:

jqVp85y.jpg

KSuF61x.jpg

Cheers!

I'm glad it finally made it to you Vince (took long enough) :thumbsup: I thought it was a very generous gesture on Taylor's part :) I'm glad you liked the surprise, and the package :) Did I not include a bottle-opener?! That was remiss of me :( Enjoy your Cornerstone Lambsfoot my friend ;) :thumbsup:

Vince, glad it came safe and sound. That knife is gonna look good in the beverage and blade thread as well!!! Just promise you will post it with an IPA....hahahah :p

Jack, thanks for throwing a great GAW!

LOL! :D A pleasure Taylor, you're a kind soul :) :thumbsup:

There is an SFO lambsfoot barlow. You should probably send a PM to Jack asking to be put on the Guardians email list. Also, if you read some of the preceding pages, you will find out more.

Thanks for the helpful replies Vince :) :thumbsup:

Thanks for the reply!

Hopefully you'll get used to the pull, and come to appreciate it :) I think of the pull on my Otter as being a little on the light side ;) :thumbsup:

For what it’s worth, i have a routine that I’ve picked up on the Porch, and it usually lightens the pull. Forgive me if you already know this. I use compressed air to blow out any debris, WD 40 and/or mineral oil clean and lube the pivot, tang, etc. I open and close the blade a few million times. Ok...Slight exaggeration.:) Then after cleaning up the excess. I use a gun Lube like Ballestol or pick your favorite around the pivot. That won’t make the blade pinchable, but it also won’t make you want to fling that beautiful Snakewood into the ocean. Let us know your progress. Good luck and welcome.

Good advice Harvey :) :thumbsup:

Morning Guardians, hope everyone is having a good week :)

Thought I'd carry some horn today - from 2018 :) :thumbsup:

Have a great day folks :thumbsup:

Back