Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

OK, here are some pictures to illustrate. First, in rosewoods (dalbergia), the color stripes follow the growth rings. But in ebonies (diospyros), the color stripes are independent of the growth rings. In most pieces of ebony, it is difficult to see the growth rings because the wood is dark, but here is a block of macassar that is light enough to see that the color stripes cut across the growth rings:
Lwf162j.jpg

And some Malaysian Blackwood and Black & White ebony
cTRryTg.jpg

It is common to have ebony with small pores, here are some examples of macassar (forgive the presence of some old Buck knives in this thread!)
dm7lugQ.jpg

G6nTyyc.jpg

8rROiCd.jpg

hCrhIws.jpg

A similar ebony is Kamagong (Philippine ebony), which is much finer grained than macassar, here are a couple pieces (it is illegal to export the raw wood from the Philippines, but you can buy finished articles, such as jewelry boxes, for very little money there and then use the wood for your own project:
4jyFFwz.jpg

mlJGKY0.jpg

I like kamagong better than macassar because most of it has no pores, it polishes up to a beautiful smooth surface.

For the black ebony, it is normally Gabon ebony, and occasionally East Indian ebony or Madagascar ebony. Normally they are uniform black. It is common to see gabon ebony with the same pore structure visible in the macassar ebony above, and I have a few pieces that have larger pores more like dalbergia. It is rare to find Gabon ebony with no pores, but I got a couple blocks a long time ago with fabulous wood, I had this Queen rehandled with that wood:
2cwOvML.jpg

And Madagascar ebony can be found like that too, an example is this Marjacq (again, forgive the non-lambsfoot content):
Nvh5UvU.jpg

A lot of the cocobolo out there will turn very dark over time and is often confused with ebony. It is not hard to spot once you know what to look for, with the grain structure and pores, and also because old pocketworn cocobolo has more of a waxy look while ebony will usually exhibit a polished look that is different from cocobolo. Also, if you hold it in direct sunlight and see reddish highlights, it is a dalbergia (cocobolo or African blackwood). I have yet to see a diospyros sample that had a reddish overtone in direct sunlight. If a diospyros has lighter portions, it will be brown or gray in appearance.

Now, back to the knife in question. The color and grain look like ebony. I don't know what ebony species is used by Wright, but it is probably Gabon, but possibly East Indian. Historically, when Gabon ebony was cut they would only take the prime uniform black wood and discard the parts that had stripes. As the availability of Gabon ebony has declined in recent years, more of the striped wood is making it to the market.

I should probably close this with a picture of an appropriate lambsfoot. The mark side is very fine grained with no pores; the pile side has pores like the macassar ebony shown above.
VtD8O73.jpg

Lambertiana, many thanks for going to the trouble of putting together that extremely informative and educational post, some beautiful examples included too :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

sooooo who else got their sheath?

vejLUk7.jpg

PVMy8qj.jpg

it can begin now :thumbsup::p;):Do_O

Those look fantastic together my friend :) :thumbsup:

I thought I'd carry this one today, but I have to say, I really don't think the tooth matches the horn for sheer beauty (couple of flaws in the mark side covering on this one too of course). Hope everyone has a great Sunday :thumbsup:

AW Ivory Senator 2-6.JPG

AW Ivory Senator 2-7.JPG

I hope your knives arrive soon Harry, I think they'd have got to you faster with standard mail, absolutely disgraceful :( Another knife got shipped all the way back here because USPS said they couldn't find the address! :mad: :thumbsup:
"And I'm waiting, waiting, like the calm before the storm." (Debby Harry(Free to Fall, on Rockbird))
Mine cleared Jamaica yesterday morning, which is a step I don't remember from last time, so maybe better luck this time.

"And I'm waiting, waiting, like the calm before the storm." (Debby Harry(Free to Fall, on Rockbird))
Mine cleared Jamaica yesterday morning, which is a step I don't remember from last time, so maybe better luck this time.

Good luck Jer :) If it comes back to me again, you're going to have to come over here and fetch it! :D ;) :thumbsup:

For some reason this morning I'm trying to picture the Lambsfoot Guardians of the Universe superhero movie.

LOL! :D :D :thumbsup:

Fair enough.

We can have chip butties! :D :) :thumbsup:

@Pàdruig Dylan I just wanted to thank you for your hard work and dedication to the Guardians. The slips that you made are a beautiful addition for our 2017 Guardian Lambsfoot knives. They will provide years of protection for these beautiful knives. :)

37855370151_43b1a37b79_b.jpg

37806897256_e1bee903f1_b.jpg

Nicely said Ron, your slip and knife look beautiful together :thumbsup:

My work commitments over the past month or more have kept me from posting as much as I'd like to in this (and other) threads here on The Porch, and I fear that will be the case for the foreseeable future. :( But I have been making time to at least try to read others' contributions to some of my favorite threads. I've heard that all work and no play make GT a dull(er) boy, so I'm spending some Sunday time to catch up on the awesome Guardian knives! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

This post will be a self-indulgent compilation of the outstanding Guardian Lambsfoot knives folks have been receiving over the past couple of weeks. :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup: (I'll probably need a couple of posts to fit in all the knives that have been delivered so far.) I'm starting with a group shot Jack posted early on of some of the knives; I'm hoping to get some entertainment from trying to determine which individuals received each of the knives in this first photo.

Looking forward to seeing the Midnight Specials too! :cool:

View attachment 779442

Hoping some more of these will be arriving with their Guardians today :thumbsup:

View attachment 779441...
Of course, Jack's fascinating "prototype" was the first of these that we saw! :eek::thumbsup::thumbsup::cool: I'm amazed at the variety of looks Jack's knife can take on depending on its surroundings. It has been likened to fireworks, sparks from a grinding wheel, sunset, tequila sunrise (maybe I just made up that one;)), a speeding plane/train/automobile, etc.! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: And that's just the mark side!! :D (I know I've seen the pile side of Jack's knife a time or two, but I can't find a photo to include here at the moment.)

h3pEskL.jpg

qSzVMBn.jpg

Chin was the first to receive his Guardian Lambsfoot once Jack started shipping them. It has a memorable wood grain or brush stroke pattern on the mark side, and the pile side reminds me, a physics student in college 45 years ago, of a cosmic ray passing through a cloud chamber!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool::cool:;)

Alan had an entertaining story involving him chasing down his knife, and the pile side pictured here reminds me of some pics I've seen of aurora borealis (or maybe a rainbow with sunlight bursting through between the colored layers :rolleyes:). I don't recall seeing the mark side of Alan's knife (but there are many things I've experienced that I no longer recall :p).
Edited to Add: Just found a pic of the mark side for Alan's knife!
That's definitely a scene straight out of something like Star Trek: The Next Generation!!:cool::cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

... This is one of the "midnight specials". I bought two Guardian's knives. This is far from black horn. It has a lot of contrast and depth. ...
zCKKiHc.jpg

mYqxtI7.jpg
Alan's midnight special has covers that both remind me of cinematic attempts to picture motion through outer space! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

avlAzPn.jpg

and the other side
qnnD5ZF.jpg

Both sides of mrknife's gorgeous Guardians Lambsfoot remind me of stormy seascapes!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

The mark side of Dylan's knife is another in which I see an astronomical theme - maybe a supernova - while the pile side reminds me of sunrise over the same seascape I imagined in the mark side of mrknife's lambsfoot. :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:;)

The mark side has wild, wavy streaks, and the pile side has a bold white feather. :)I only have time for a few pics that do not do it justice:View attachment 779603
View attachment 779604
I can accept r8shell's descriptions of the horn that covers her knife handles :thumbsup::cool:, but my first impression of the mark side of her knife involved excerpts from the old song "Chantilly Lace" by The Big Bopper: "that wiggle in the walk". :rolleyes:

The more of these knives I see, the more my impressions are influenced by what I'd noticed in knives I'd seen earlier. When I first saw the mark side of Barrett's knife, I thought, "His knife has wings!", but I could also go with more alpha particles passing through a cloud chamber! :rolleyes: Pile side of Barrett's knife immediately brought "streaking comet" to mind, another of my astronomical allusions. :thumbsup::cool:

The diagonal striping on the mark side of Charlie's knife reminds me of a barber pole or a candy cane!! :thumbsup::cool::rolleyes: The pile side is the first example of a Guardians Lambsfoot whose horn brought to mind (at least to MY twisted mind :rolleyes:) a sunset at one end, a sunrise at the other, and the old saying, "The sun never sets on the British Empire." :D

More knives to come in my next post...

Jack Black, you certainly deserve acclaim, accolades, applause, and appreciation for making this happen at A Wright & Son and for bringing it to the Guardians of the Lambsfoot!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool::cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

- GT

Last edited:
My work commitments over the past month or more have kept me from posting as much as I'd like to in this (and other) threads here on The Porch, and I fear that will be the case for the foreseeable future. :( But I have been making time to at least try to read others' contributions to some of my favorite threads. I've heard that all work and no play make GT a dull(er) boy, so I'm spending some Sunday time to catch up on the awesome Guardian knives! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

This post will be a self-indulgent compilation of the outstanding Guardian Lambsfoot knives folks have been receiving over the past couple of weeks. :thumbsup::cool::thumbsup: (I'll probably need a couple of posts to fit in all the knives that have been delivered so far.) I'm starting with a group shot Jack posted early on of some of the knives; I'm hoping to get some entertainment from trying to determine which individuals received each of the knives in this first photo.

Of course, Jack's fascinating "prototype" was the first of these that we saw! :eek::thumbsup::thumbsup::cool: I'm amazed at the variety of looks Jack's knife can take on depending on its surroundings. It has been likened to fireworks, sparks from a grinding wheel, sunset, tequila sunrise (maybe I just made up that one;)), a speeding plane/train/automobile, etc.! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup: And that's just the mark side!! :D (I know I've seen the pile side of Jack's knife a time or two, but I can't find a photo to include here at the moment.)

Chin was the first to receive his Guardian Lambsfoot once Jack started shipping them. It has a memorable wood grain or brush stroke pattern on the mark side, and the pile side reminds me, a physics student in college 45 years ago, of a cosmic ray passing through a cloud chamber!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool::cool:;)

Alan had an entertaining story involving him chasing down his knife, and the pile side pictured here reminds me of some pics I've seen of aurora borealis (or maybe a rainbow with sunlight bursting through between the colored layers :rolleyes:). I don't recall seeing the mark side of Alan's knife (but there are many things I've experienced that I no longer recall :p).

Alan's midnight special has covers that both remind me of cinematic attempts to picture motion through outer space! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

Both sides of mrknife's gorgeous Guardians Lambsfoot remind me of stormy seascapes!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:

The mark side of Dylan's knife is another in which I see an astronomical theme - maybe a supernova - while the pile side reminds me of sunrise over the same seascape I imagined in the mark side of mrknife's lambsfoot. :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool:;)

I can accept r8shell's descriptions of the horn that covers her knife handles :thumbsup::cool:, but my first impression of the mark side of her knife involved excerpts from the old song "Chantilly Lace" by The Big Bopper: "that wiggle in the walk". :rolleyes:

The more of these knives I see, the more my impressions are influenced by what I'd noticed in knives I'd seen earlier. When I first saw the mark side of Barrett's knife, I thought, "His knife has wings!", but I could also go with more alpha particles passing through a cloud chamber! :rolleyes: Pile side of Barrett's knife immediately brought "streaking comet" to mind, another of my astronomical allusions. :thumbsup::cool:

The diagonal striping on the mark side of Charlie's knife reminds me of a barber pole or a candy cane!! :thumbsup::cool::rolleyes: The pile side is the first example of a Guardians Lambsfoot whose horn brought to mind (at least to MY twisted mind :rolleyes:) a sunset at one end, a sunrise at the other, and the old saying, "The sun never sets on the British Empire." :D

More knives to come in my next post...

Jack Black, you certainly deserve acclaim, accolades, applause, and appreciation for making this happen at A Wright & Son and for bringing it to the Guardians of the Lambsfoot!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool::cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

- GT

Thanks for a most entertaining and eloquent post GT, and for the kind words, I am pleased with how it all turned out :D :) :thumbsup:

LOL! :D Don't know what that's about, but the glass belongs to a different beer/brewery! :rolleyes: This just tastes delicious! :D ;) :thumbsup:

View attachment 785300

haha was reading the bottle behind that senator there, but back to the knife, is there a different grind there on that blade? lack of swedge? it has that appearance similar to the lambsfoot that one of mine has, which I wish to make a note of for my future orders.

@Pàdruig Dylan I just wanted to thank you for your hard work and dedication to the Guardians. The slips that you made are a beautiful addition for our 2017 Guardian Lambsfoot knives. They will provide years of protection for these beautiful knives. :)

I couldn't say it any better.
Thank you, Dylan! :thumbsup:
23991538978_cbd45aede3_b.jpg

haha was reading the bottle behind that senator there, but back to the knife, is there a different grind there on that blade? lack of swedge? it has that appearance similar to the lambsfoot that one of mine has, which I wish to make a note of for my future orders.

It's actually a pint glass my friend :thumbsup: With some nonsense written on it! :D :thumbsup:

AW Ivory Senator 1-7.JPG

Yeah, no swedges on this one, quite a plain blade really :(

It's actually a pint glass my friend :thumbsup: With some nonsense written on it! :D :thumbsup:

View attachment 785320

Yeah, no swedges on this one, quite a plain blade really :(

ah i see, yeah i wasnt able to determine whether I got a dud last time when I ordered because I was accustomed to the lambfoot blade appearing a certain way that it threw me off a little if that makes sense

ah i see, yeah i wasnt able to determine whether I got a dud last time when I ordered because I was accustomed to the lambfoot blade appearing a certain way that it threw me off a little if that makes sense

I don't particularly like the double-bolstered style, but think it'd look better if the blade was swedged. For a simple blade shape, it does have quite a lot of variables! :eek: :thumbsup:

Back