Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Evenin' all ;) My apologies for being absent throughout most of Yorkshire Day, I'm afraid I was detained in various hostelries for much of the day, and just as I was starting to get caught up a few hours ago, my neighbours insisted on dragging me out for more celebrations :rolleyes: Thank you for all the giveaway entries (still 2 hours and 10 minutes to go), and all the good wishes. I'll have another go at catching up now :thumbsup:

This thread moves so quickly! Just checking in to say hi. A lambsfoot is in my pocket, of course, and I hope to catch up here soon. In the meantime, I have a job for my favorite workhorse knife. :)

Happy Yorkshire Day Greg ;) :thumbsup:

Happy Yorkshire Day 2019!

pIfVQmA.jpg

8ddGSdg.jpg

Proper catch up post and acknowledgments to follow in a bit. Cool posts and pics on this page, everyone.:thumbsup::cool:

Great pics my friend :thumbsup:

Happy Yorkshire day Chin! And Happy Yorkshire day to all the Guardians!View attachment 1171562

Happy Yorkshire Day Dwight, smashing pic :) :thumbsup:

Zt89nw0.jpg

I strongly suspect that I am of Yorkshire stock.

How shall I celebrate Yorkshire Day? Shall I sit around with me mates reminiscing about how tough we had it forty years ago, while sipping some fine wine? You know, there's nothing like a good glass of Château de Chasselas! I may have to settle for some Australian cabernet sauvignon. But I WILL be toting my Hartshead Barlow on Yorkshire Day, and I hope you have a smashing holiday, Jack! And a Happy Yorkshire Day to my fellow Guardians. And may God bless us all, every one.

Cheers!

[Please consider this post as my entry in the Yorkshire Day giveaway.]

I think you coulld very well be of Yorkshire stock Vince! :D Thank you very much my friend, Happy Yorkshire Day :) :thumbsup:

I received this in the mail today. It is stamped Made in Sheffield. Nothing else. Is there a Sheffield Pakistan? The bolsters are brass and the scales are supposed to be rosewood.
The quality is just OK, not great.

View attachment 1171571 View attachment 1171572

Inexpensive ebay purchase? :rolleyes:

I've only been wrong once in my life, i thought i was wrong once, but i was wrong, i was right all along. Happy Yorkshire Day mate.

:D :thumbsup:

Happy Yorkshire Day to Jack and all my fellow Guardians...

Happy Yorkshire Day John :D :thumbsup:

I'm thinking that Jack can tell us about that knife, if anyone can. He's probably sleeping now, as it's the wee hours of the morning in Yorkshire.

Thank you for the consideration Vince :) :thumbsup:

Looks like a great little work knife.o_O

That's what I was thinking, you get what you pay for :thumbsup:

Happy Yorkshire Day to all ye Guardians of the Lambsfoot! :D

23839489478_948571d40e_b_d.jpg

Happy Yorkshire Day Ron, excellent pic there my friend :) :thumbsup:

:D :) :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Good morning, and happy Yorkshire Day, Guardians!
pfoFSJm.jpg

View attachment 1171755 Happy Yorkshire Day, mates!

Happy Yorkshire Day fellers :) :thumbsup:

Kerosene lamp Hartshead Barlow

Fantastic pics Christian :) I really like the stag on your Hartshead Barlow :) :thumbsup:

Smashing pic Jon, Happy Yorkshire Day :) :thumbsup:

In honor of Yorkshire day I am unveiling my Big'un recovered by @glennbad in maple burl. Thank you Glenn!
Happy Yorkshire Day GuardiansView attachment 1171771

Outstanding Dwight :) Glenn has done an amazing job there :) :thumbsup:

Happy Yorkshire Day!
G4vqCc6.jpg

Happy Yorkshire Day Rachel :thumbsup:

Thump! Thump! Goes my ole heart! ;) That’s a beauty Dwight! My Ironwood Bigun recovered by Glenn is one of my favorites! :thumbsup::thumbsup::D

A Happy Yorkshire Day to you all! :)

48108035888_3f9b0dc302_b_d.jpg

Happy Yorkshire Day Ron :) :thumbsup:

Happy Yorkshire day Jack. Glad to celebrate it with you!:thumbsup:
kt6Sgsg.jpg

Thank you very much Mark, great pic my friend :) :thumbsup:

HAPPY YORKSHIRE DAY Jack and fellow Guardians:)
3lmUAk.jpg

Happy Yorkshire Day Paul, nice pic there :) :thumbsup:

View attachment 1171792 Happy Yorkshire Day all!

Happy Yorkshire Day! :) :thumbsup:

Good morning. This'll have to be a quick post as the wife and I are off to Klamath Falls, Oregon for doctor's appointments. If I hear "Finger Wave" I'm outta there.:rolleyes:

OZwbFRK.jpg

Happy Yorkshire Day Jack Black Jack Black .

Yikes! :eek: Hope your appointments went OK Ed :thumbsup: Happy Yorkshire Day - I forgot you had one of those Silver Jubilee Crowns - there's another in the post - sorry, my memory is terrible! o_O :rolleyes: :thumbsup:

Happy Yorkshire Day! Many thanks to Jack for a terrific year.
Dpy3JTz.jpg

Thanks Dave, Happy Yorkshire Day :) :thumbsup:

We can never have too much Spider-Man. He's Amazing! :):thumbsup:

Evenin' all ;) My apologies for being absent throughout most of Yorkshire Day, I'm afraid I was detained in various hostelries for much of the day, and just as I was starting to get caught up a few hours ago, my neighbours insisted on dragging me out for more celebrations :rolleyes: Thank you for all the giveaway entries (still 2 hours and 10 minutes to go), and all the good wishes. I'll have another go at catching up now :thumbsup:
I'm so happy you had a fun-filled Yorkshire Day, Jack.
We sure enjoyed celebrating it here on the forum. I'm proud to be a fellow Guardian (AKA Potato Head). :):thumbsup:

Guardians Celebrating Yorkshire Day!
View attachment 1171840

Happy Yorkshire Day my friend, that is absolutely fantastic :D Well done :) :thumbsup:

Happy Yorkshire Day fellow guardians! Jack, thank you again for all that you do and hope that your day was fabulous. :cool::thumbsup:

full

Happy Yorkshire Day, that's a lovely composition :) :thumbsup:

I hope Jack Black Jack Black has and is having a Happy Yorkshire Day.
View attachment 1171866

CBC1BF76-73CB-409D-87A0-8C7C9F0E66B1_zpsohfycw61.jpeg

Thank you Harvey, and thanks for the great pic :) :thumbsup:

'appy Yorksha day!
jake is ready ta party .....'e could finn' 'is fla' cap though.
48427061377_d1c7a7b415_b.jpg

jack, ah 'ood be 'appy ta join i' on thy Yorksha day giveaway.

LOL! Thanks Kevin, Happy Yorkshire Day pal :D :thumbsup:

I'm about 15 pages behind in this thread, but I wanted to at least wish all the Guardians, but especially Jack, a Happy Yorkshire Day! :thumbsup::):cool: Not an entry to Jack's very generous GAW (although it's hard to resist trying for that russet bighorn lambsfoot :eek:), but I do want to post this pic in the spirit of celebration. (Jack may notice that I've cleverly "removed" a forbidden knife from the image displayed on my computer screen. ;))
View attachment 1171998

- GT

Happy Yorkshire Day GT :) Thank you, that's a memorable photo and a great composition :) I was in the Blue Bell on Monday, and was thinking how much you'd love it in there :) :thumbsup:

elSjfrt.jpg

The Tales of Future Jack - Part II
August 1, 2047, Yorkshire, England

"Happy Yorkshire Day, Jack!" the young American bartender said to the old man as he seated himself at his favorite spot.

"Thank you, Gwen. I'm delighted that you know what day it is today."

"It's kinda hard to miss when you tend bar in a Yorkshire Pub. Earlier today I heard some folks discussing the Declaration of Integrity. I asked what they were talking about and they filled me in on the day and its history.

"I'm surprised that it has only been celebrated since 1975. I mean, that's a long time ago, but having a Yorkshire Day seems like something that would have always been the case."

"Well, better late than never, I suppose. I remember the first..."

His revelry was interrupted by a gaggle of people who came in and easily overflowed the largest available table. One of them headed to the bar and placed their order.

"Good afternoon, miss. We'd like to have Gin Cucumber Coolers for the lot of us. Uh, that'd be eight, I think."

"You bet. Have a seat and I'll have them over to you."

As the patron returned to his friends, the bartender leaned over to Jack and said in a low voice, "I swear, this group seems to like to order the most unusual drinks. I sometimes wonder if they are just trying to stump me. Fortunately, this one's easy and we just got some cucumbers in along with a load of veg for the kitchen. I'll be right back."

She returned with a plump, dark green cucumber, still dripping a bit from the quick wash she'd given it.

"Say, Jack.... Do you have your knife with you? Would you mind?" she said with a smile as she pushed the cucumber and a cutting board his way without waiting for his reply. Of course he had his knife.

"It'd be my pleasure" said the man as Gwen started about fetching glassware, ice, and gin. When she was ready for the cucumbers, she turned to the man and, as she'd expected, the cutting board in front of him was full of neatly arranged cucumber slices. He was wiping his knife clean.

"Say, Jack, I promised you a pint for your help last time. And I'd still love to learn about that knife of yours. Would you care for that pint now, or would you perhaps like one of these Cucumber Gin Coolers? I've got extra cucumber slices..."

"I've never been a fan of gin and I don't think the cucumber will change that." he said with a wink and smile. "But, I'd gladly take you up on a pint of bitter. And, I'd be delighted to tell you anything you want to know about my lambsfoot knife."

"Great! Just give me a second while I deliver these drinks...."

After a few minutes she returned.

"Sorry. They were a chatty bunch. But, at least now I've heard the story of Yorkshire Day twice. But, here's your pint.

"So. About that lambsfoot of yours.... Hey, that's a different one than you had the other day, isn't it?"

"Correct! This one has rosewood covers. The other's were made from a special grade of water buffalo horn. I got lucky on that batch and everyone of them was unique and splendid in its own way. But, back to lambsfoot knives. This one is textbook example of the Sheffield Real Lambsfoot pattern."

"Pattern?"

"Oh, yes, sorry. 'Pattern' just means style of knife. It's a term we pocketknife aficionados use to describe the shape of the handle and the complement of blades that are in it."

"This one has what is usually called a swayback handle and, of course, a lambsfoot blade. That combination is quintessential Sheffield Real Lambsfoot. In fact, you'll remember that the one I had last time even had 'REAL LAMB FOOT' etched on the blade.

"This combination has great ergonomics. The handle is comfortable in your hand whether you are making push cuts away from yourself or careful paring cuts towards you. The edge of the blade is parallel to the center axis of the handle, which is both pleasing to the eye and extremely versatile.

"This is the knife of the Yorkshire working person. There was a time when most farmers around here would have sworn by one. It's tough, it'll tackle pretty much any job you give it, and, at least to me, it's very pleasing to look at and turn over in your hand."

She was quiet for a moment while all of that sunk in.

"Thanks. Now that you've pointed out some of its strengths, I'm starting to understand its appeal. I'm a big fan of unassuming tools that excel at myriad tasks."

"Yes, exactly. This is one of those patterns that people often overlook, but, once they have tried one, are hooked for life."

"I can believe it. Hey, a question for you. You said it's a lambsfoot pattern, but the blade is also called a lambsfoot. Are there other patterns that have a lambsfoot blade?"

"Great question! The short answer is 'yes'. I'm afraid the long answer will have to wait: I see the cucumber cooler fans are getting restless over there. I need to be heading out anyway."

"Okay, until next time then. I promise I won't make you work three times in a row."

"Don't worry, I'm always prepared for work" he said with a smile and slight bow. With that he left and she headed to the large table to see what they'd order next.

GkVfU9gh.jpg

Thank you Greg, for a very enjoyable, and very informative read :) Well done my friend :) Cucumber Coolers indeed! :rolleyes: :D Smashing shot of your knife too :thumbsup:

:D :thumbsup:

Thanks Jack! I hope you’ve had a great day of celebrating my friend! :thumbsup: :)

I did indeed Ron, visited the market, a nice chip butty, went to some great traditional pubs in good company, all in all, an excellent Yorkshire Day :) :thumbsup:

We can never have too much Spider-Man. He's Amazing! :):thumbsup:

I'm so happy you had a fun-filled Yorkshire Day, Jack.
We sure enjoyed celebrating it here on the forum. I'm proud to be a fellow Guardian (AKA Potato Head). :):thumbsup:

I agree John! :) :thumbsup:

Thank you my friend, and many thanks to my fellow Guardians for helping me celebrate :) :thumbsup:

Good day, Guardians.

My presence in this thread has been a wee bit scarce as of late. However, there is still a bit of time left in the day over there in Yorkshire and I would not be a proper Guardian if I didn't pop in and wish everyone here, especially Jack, a very Fine and Happy Yorkshire Day.

I thought I would gather the special knives that Jack has been responsible for bringing to us this year for a special photo. Unfortunately, I do not have much in the way of Yorkshire swag but I do have this bottle of Henderson's which has become quite a staple in our kitchen.

Happy Yorkshire Day, folks!

tRuUuPI.jpg

Back