1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Jack Black, Jun 26, 2016.

Tags:
  1. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    That's an interesting observation.

flatblackcapo, OLd_gUY and cigarrodog like this.
  2. Half/Stop

Half/Stop Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 25, 2014
    Thanks for the compliment Jack! :) A “Daily Double” is great any day but it’s Double nice on a Friday! ;) I hope you have a great weekend my friend! :D

mitch4ging and Jack Black like this.
  3. Prester John

Prester John Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2018
    Good morning, Guardians!
    [​IMG]

4. akaMatt

akaMatt Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

May 10, 2017
    Good morning, Guardians!

New tree for Jelly today... same old parking lot, though! Oh well, it's almost the weekend!

[​IMG]

5. 5K Qs

5K Qs Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 20, 2014
    Yet another intriguing photo, Dan! :thumbsup::thumbsup::cool: Is that some kind of cast iron pipe?

;):thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks for the stag compliment, Harvey. :)
    Thanks also for the info about the background in one of your superb pics. :cool::cool: So the black is maybe asphalt and the orange is chalk?

Hearty amber ale and ebony lamb, Dylan! :cool::cool::thumbsup:
    My perception about the two threads is rather garbled since I referred to "average post link" instead of "average post length"; sorry! :(:rolleyes:
    Thanks for your stag kindness, too. :)

Greg, isn't "Wharncliffe" a similar example of an adjective applied to both a specific pattern and a particular blade shape? Here's a link to something @Jack Black once posted regarding the Wharncliffe pattern:
    https://www.bladeforums.com/threads...ya-totin-today.547127/page-5775#post-18075278

Jack and Vince, those are splendid shots of your stag HHBs! :cool::thumbsup::cool:

I like jigged bone lambsfoot knives; thanks, José and Matt! :):thumbsup::cool:

Man Jack demands more attention (maybe I should change his name to deMand Jack :rolleyes:):
    MJ.pile.V.wisteria.jpg

- GT

6. Modoc ED

Modoc ED Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 28, 2010
    Headed out in a few minutes to our local hospital for a couple more or three biopsies. I'm going to carry my Stag Hartshead Barlow just in case the surgeon forgets to bring his punch/scalpel.

[​IMG]

All I've got to say is that they better have a lollipop/sucker for me after the surgery. The last time they were out of them and when they called yesterday to verify my appointment, I let them know in no uncertain terms that I wanted a sucker.

7. Travman

Travman Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 26, 2016
  8. akaMatt

akaMatt Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

May 10, 2017
    Great picture, Trav. That is a very photogenic knife! :thumbsup:

waynorth and Jack Black like this.
  9. Prester John

May 20, 2018
    That's a creek in a park in the small town where I work. I should try to get more beach and bayfront pics from the city where I live.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. WhittlinAway

WhittlinAway Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2016
    Indeed! Thanks for the counterexample, GT! :thumbsup:

'Truly unique' is now downgraded to 'rare example'. At least until it's shown that other examples that I've missed abound. ;)

11. r8shell

r8shell Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 16, 2010
    Take two, they owe you one from last time. Best wishes for your health.

12. Modoc ED

Modoc ED Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 28, 2010
    Good idea. I'll get two. Thanks Rachel.

13. black mamba

black mamba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Stick to your guns, ED, make 'em produce a sucker for ya. Prayers for a good biopsy.

14. Jack Black

Jack Black Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2005
    Edit - Sorry folks, just reading on my phone, and I missed this page, and GT's reply to Greg's post. I'll edit out my own reply, the less said about that other straight-edge pattern here the better ;) :D :thumbsup:

Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
    cigarrodog, WhittlinAway and dc50 like this.
  15. Cambertree

Cambertree Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 29, 2014
    Hooray, it's officially the weekend down here in Oz and I've caught up on the thread too!

Thanks very much for the comments on my last post, my friends - I'll refrain from taking you all in the Wayback Time Machine, by multiquoting from back then, though.:oops:

Nice to see Rachel's smooth white bone suggestion for a future Guardians run getting some traction.

I'd favour camel bone too - I think it tends to be denser and stronger than cattle bone. Might I suggest that steel fittings and liners be considered again in that case? All I can think of when I look at a white bone covered knife with brass pins and liner scales, is how they will eventually be marred by ugly verdigris stains.

It's great to see all the quality contributions from new members recently, as well as the Guardians stalwarts.

Dennis, I hope you're feeling better and you've got things stable again, my friend.

Jeff, I'm glad you had your op, and it seems to have been successful. Heal up well, I'm sure you'll be back to fighting fit in no time.

Dave, please pass along my best wishes to Linda, and that I hope she gets some relief soon.

Fantastic walking sticks, Mark and Jack. Thanks for those links on Diamond Willow and the Loess Hills, Mark - they made for fascinating reading.

Vince, you made me burst out laughing with your Robin Hood style pate smiting comment!

I carry a Lambsfoot because it's a handy, high calibre, cutting companion!

[​IMG]

How 'bout you?;)

16. Prester John

May 20, 2018
    Great post and great pic, Chin! :thumbsup:

17. OLd_gUY

OLd_gUY Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 20, 2018
    Good Morning Guardians - hope everyone has a great Friday with a wonderful weekend to follow.
    For some strange reason, I woke up thinking of that line in The Blues Brothers where they are in Bob's Country Bunker and Belushi asks "What kind of music do you have here, ma'am?" She says "Oh - we have both kinds, Country and Western" ;)
    8_23_FlashFri_AAuto_Crop_FF_HDR.jpg

18. kamagong

kamagong

Jan 13, 2001
    The wharncliffe?

Modoc ED likes this.
  19. cigarrodog

cigarrodog Platinum Member Platinum Member

May 18, 2014
    Sending you smoke and best wishes for a good outcome today, Ed. If you can, please show an image of a Lambsfoot with a lolipop(s).:):thumbsup: A fine image of your Hartshead Barlow.

@5K Qs - Thanks GT. Yes...Simply chalk and park-friendly asphalt. One can never get enough of Man Jack. Trust me.:)

@Prester John - You live in beautiful surroundings. Perfect for images of your fine Lambsfoot collection, Vince.

@JohnDF - Spot on image of your Lambsfoot.

@CelloDan - Great images.

@Cambertree - G’day Chin. Great ideas.

@Jack Black - Thank you Jack. You are well equipped with your brace of Lambs.

Good Morning Guardians. Here’s to a great weekend for all.
    [​IMG]

20. Cambertree

Cambertree Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 29, 2014
    Thank you kindly Vince, it's just a quick post, before I go to sleep. Otherwise I'm afraid I'll wake up tomorrow morning and the Guardians Express will have steamed off over the horizon again!:oops::D

I've got some serious Lambsfoot slicin', Pie 'n' Pasty eatin', investigative reportage to file with GT and the rest of y'all too.:D;)

It's all David's @donn fault!:D:p:)

Quick pic for now:

[​IMG]

P.S. Greg - not to get too far OT regarding other patterns, but if I'm not mistaken, the Ettrick is referred to as a blade type as well as a pattern by Sheffield cutlers too.;)

Ed, I hope things go well with your procedure too.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2019