Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Much too nasty outside today for anything but this recycled photo. Hope your Tuesday is going well.
IMG_1222.JPG

35285270820_84a8bd9072_m.jpg

:D :thumbsup:

Thanks for the kind words Jack! I’m sure the look on both of our faces is probably equal! :rolleyes: The new one is a well made folder. I would say the workmanship is equal to or maybe a little better than a standard production knife from Wright’s. But, no where near equal to one of your SFOs. Here’s a couple of quick photos that might give an idea of the size comparison. :)

49912204488_06cd780509_o_d.jpg

49913018317_7f02bfd85d_o_d.jpg

Thank you Ron, very interesting to see the size comparison, I don't see many old Lambsfoot knives in that size, the stubby blade and deep nail-nick are interesting features I think. I reckon I'll be spending a while looking at those pics, thanks for posting them my friend :) :thumbsup:

Much too nasty outside today for anything but this recycled photo. Hope your Tuesday is going well.
View attachment 1343011

35285270820_84a8bd9072_m.jpg

Hope things clear up for you Bill, nice pic :thumbsup:

Jack and I were talking the other day about how animals are getting braver with the "Stay at Home" orders.
I was just out working in my shop when this little guy flew in and perched on my head. Scared the crap out of me!!!

I think that would have made me jump too John! :eek: I was taking a photo of a robin on my garden wall yesterday. I zoomed in at first, but it kept getting closer and closer to me :)

KDKDHJW.jpg

My garden is mainly dominated by nesting crows and magpies at the moment, who are going a bit crazy. The magpies have even started using the front gate :rolleyes:

0aqxvJl.jpg

W5Jho7p.jpg

trIBwVa.jpg

cLiU8yI.jpg

Still a few other birds around :)

Laq6CPK.jpg

uKQdgGo.jpg

And a few cats! :eek:

VtoTvCi.jpg

Good Morning Guardians and anyone else looking in. The sun is actually shining here this morning. Quite different from the cloudy, overcast, pouring rain like the devil was spitting:eek:, weather we've had the last few days.

Idk88Cx.jpg

Nice to hear you're getting some well-deserved sunshine Ed :) I hope you can come round for some Bangers 'n' Mash sometime my friend ;) :thumbsup:

PHEYmN8.jpg

You've found such nice examples of the vintage ones.
Much thanks, Greg. Great question.
What's not to love!
Hi Dennis. Doing fine. My goodness. What a great image.

Cool pic of your Joseph Rodgers :cool: :) :thumbsup:
Thank you Jack. Much appreciation for your “Stout” response. The bottle choice was my main interest. I’ve only tried chocolate stout, which is great. Great look at the birdies. A slew of fine images, today. Going to try the Imperial Stout, next.

It’s a William Rodgers Sheffield, Horn weeun! :D
Congratulations on that fine looking William Rodgers Horn Lamb, Ron. Wonderful Color.

Scared the crap out of me!!!
“Quote the Raven, never more.”:D

Good Afternoon Guardians.
AD0C809D-FD5B-4D39-8C96-D2D274D315BE.jpeg

upload_2020-5-19_13-48-11.jpeg I’ve been out of touch while my wife and I took some of the grandkids camping, not a lot to do other than sit around the campfire, go fishing, and long walks, we had a great time. My Lamb received a good amount of work around the camp. My 11 year old granddaughter didn’t want to use her “pretty“ knife so she was always asking to use mine.

here she is making fire starter with the Lambsfoot and her and her brother putting points on any and all sticks they could find.

Last edited:
Thank you Ron, very interesting to see the size comparison, I don't see many old Lambsfoot knives in that size, the stubby blade and deep nail-nick are interesting features I think. I reckon I'll be spending a while looking at those pics, thanks for posting them my friend :) :thumbsup:

Nice to hear you're getting some well-deserved sunshine Ed :) I hope you can come round for some Bangers 'n' Mash sometime my friend ;) :thumbsup:

PHEYmN8.jpg
It’s a little bigger than a Wright’s wee ’un Jack. The blade is actually stubby now that you mention it. I’m sure I’ll be posting more photos. ;) Those Bangers ‘n’ Mash look mighty tasty. I believe that cat is going to be busy from the looks of all those birds Jack! :)

I probably need to invest in a cat to scare away some of these birds.

The cats round my way are just posers, more birds die from hitting my window than from cats! :eek: :D :thumbsup:

Thank you Jack. Much appreciation for your “Stout” response. The bottle choice was my main interest. I’ve only tried chocolate stout, which is great. Great look at the birdies. A slew of fine images, today. Going to try the Imperial Stout, next.

Good Afternoon Guardians.
View attachment 1343117

I hope you enjoy it Harvey :) I have just put the first of the Sam Smith's beer in the fridge for tomorrow. It's a lager, which I probably wouldn't have bought otherwise, though I have had it a few times :thumbsup:

Excellent portrait of your Hartshead Barlow my friend :) :thumbsup:

7Tk65op.jpg

I’ve been out of touch while my wife and I took some of the grandkids camping, not a lot to do other than sit around the campfire, go fishing, and long walks, we had a great time. My Lamb received a good amount of work around the camp. My 11 year old granddaughter didn’t want to use her “pretty“ knife so she was always asking to use mine.

here she is making fire starter with the Lambsfoot and her and her brother putting points on any and all sticks they could find.

What a great thing to do Chuck, it sounds fantastic :) LOL! :D Fantastic pic :) :thumbsup:

It’s a little bigger than a Wright’s wee ’un Jack. The blade is actually stubby now that you mention it. I’m sure I’ll be posting more photos. ;) Those Bangers ‘n’ Mash look mighty tasty. I believe that cat is going to be busy from the looks of all those birds Jack! :)

I didn't mean 'stubby' as an insult Ron! :eek: ;) Looking forward to seeing more of it pal :D :thumbsup: Thanks, I've been trying to eat a few more fresh vegetables this week (got swede mashed in with the taters). The cats round my way are too well fed! :rolleyes: ;) :thumbsup:

Standing on my back porch, it's difficult to spot my neighbors.:rolleyes:

Lm9Bv3A.jpg

Incredible Ed :cool: :thumbsup:

Just having a couple of beers :) Cheers Guardians :thumbsup:

KIPzG4N.jpg

V1k3BB4.jpg

That is such a cool picture... love the matte textures. :cool::thumbsup:
Thank you kindly, John.

Now I'm not going to be able to sleep tonight. :eek:
I take it back, then.:)

Standing on my back porch, it's difficult to spot my neighbors.:rolleyes:
That would be my favorite spot.

I hope you enjoy it Harvey :)
Thank you Jack. Hartshead Square.:thumbsup: It looks like you enjoy Life and Death IPA. I’ve seen that one more than once. Cheers!

Great shot pal, hope you have a great weekend too :) Certainly nothing shabby about those slips Dylan, I treasure mine :) :thumbsup:

Thank you, Jack, that is terrific to hear.

Excellent picture, Dylan. :cool::thumbsup:
I can imagine the sound of the creek and the smell of the cigar. :cool::thumbsup:

Thank you, John. The tranquility is mightily pleasant.

I think they've asked a lot of teachers, few of whom will ever have been trained to work like this. Here, they talking about them teaching from home like they're all sat in their skivvies watching daytime TV, rather than doing extra work :mad:

My wife is a teacher, as is a friend of ours who is staying with us. Every time I see or hear a parent or random scrub who has naught but ill to speak of teachers, I want to invite them to spend a day in my wife's shoes. Even in the down times (i.e. spring/summer/winter breaks), she is preparing, using her own time and resources to be the best she can be. Administrators and up are often little better than the parents who think teachers are lazy and get paid more than they are worth. It's extraordinarily aggravating!

Just had haggis, neeps & tatties - Wolf Blass Yellow Label on the side (Henderson's Orange Label on the other side! ;)). Enjoy the rest of your Sunday Guardians :thumbsup:

IqIfO3u.jpg

That looks to be an exceptionally fine meal, Jack! A good friend of mine makes some rather sublime haggis. 'Tis good stuff.

Good morning Guardians! I’m smiling so big this morning it’s making my jaws sore! :D I’d like to introduce y’all to the newest addition to my Lambsfoot collection! After making several offers back and forth with the seller I was finally able to score this one on the big auction site! :thumbsup:

It’s a William Rodgers Sheffield, Horn weeun! :D I really can’t believe how pristine this knife is. It looks like a factory edge. As is common the Horn on the mark side is a little nicer than on the pile side. But both are actually quite nice! It’s probably the stoutest of any I own. It’s a bear trap! :eek: I can’t wait to hear from Jack with some comments on possible age, etc. I have been reading some of the comments and history that’s available here. Y’all have a great day and please stay vigilant out there! :thumbsup: :D

49912301816_2a590e9dc9_o_d.jpg

49912302881_e4a3e9d6d4_o_d.jpg

That's a fine snag, Ron! There are a lot of similarities between that knife and my no-name Lambsfoot - though I do think your blade is a bit fuller and has not had the stamping ground off. Otherwise, the size, bolsters, and action all appear to be somewhat similar.

tfBB793.jpg

Guardians, I’m curious, what was it that first attracted you to the lambsfoot? When you got your first, what surprised you the most?

A great topic for discussion, Greg!

I am a relative newcomer to BladeForums and though the Porch wasn't what prompted my membership in the first place, it didn't take me long to find the place and get completely captivated. My presence here completely revolutionized my attitude and thinking towards cutlery as a whole and the hobby (as it pertains to me) is a richer experience overall for it.

As I absorbed all the information that I came across, I began to develop preferences towards patterns and such - one of them being the simple jack, which led me to the Lambsfoot. The simplicity that is the combination of natural materials and straight edged blade became the proverbial "knockout" in my mind. I posted first in this thread all the way back on page 56 and Jack's friendliness and knowledge did the rest in terms of winning me over - though, to be honest, it wasn't all that hard.

Soon after that, Kevin (@flatblackcapo) reached out to me and after some back and forth, he sent me Rosie, my first Lambsfoot. She has gone on many an adventure with me - elk hunting, mushroom hunting, hiking, etc. She excelled in just about everything I could ask for in a knife (except skinning, she's not so good at that...). Should anyone have any doubts with regards to the pattern, I always recommend trying it out before one judges its appearance. Even though I am quite smitten with the curves of the swayback handle and the nuanced blade, not everyone has that "love at first sight" experience.

Ever since that day (when Rosie arrived), it has been difficult to not have a Lambsfoot either in my pocket, or on my desk, or in my everyday pack. In fact, to illustrate this point: Last week, I tried to only carry a knife with some belly to it - a clip point - and I got so frustrated with my lack of a straight edge that I gave up and went back to what I've become accustomed to after a couple of days.

The Lambsfoot has the strength of a Sheepfoot but also the nimbleness that it lacks. A Lambsfoot has the dexterity of a Wharncliffe but also the stoutness that the latter isn't known for. If I wasn't a knife collector/enthusiast, a Lambsfoot is all the knife I would ever need aside from a dedicated skinner. It is that good of a design and it is almost a crime that it isn't more widely recognized here in the states. I have more Lambsfoot knives in my collection than any other pattern and it has been my Knife of the Year for three years straight. I have not acquired a new Lambsfoot this year yet so we will see what this year brings us - still a lot of time left.

I applaud Jack's efforts in being a terrific ambassador for this pattern and I applaud everyone here who has taken to the knife like I have - you make for an excellent group of folks with fantastic and discriminating taste.

A pic of Rosie on an auxiliary hunt to a past elk stalk.

FAKXuXe.jpg

Back