Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

There are some REALLY nice shots of your Lambsfoot Knives everyone!
We hardly ever get to buy an older Lambsfoot here in New Zealand, unless of course it's from overseas, so I came across these two at different times locally not so long ago, the first one is nothing but a pure Tank - big and fat!
The knife like many other older knives seems to have been crudely re-pinned, and its a pity that the person who did this decided to clean up the Knife by grinding the actual cam of the blade- you can see a bevel upon inspection- the Walk and Talk is nothing to report back Home about.
I do believe however the Blade is original to the Knife- The Spine to Blade thicknesses, patina- just everything matches, its just a shame that it wasnt quite left alone, still........ it was worth picking up just to see it and it will find it's place in a display of the Older Sheffield's when I get to find a long-term display area, I do like the Markings as in the deep Etching, and the early Witness Tang stamp.

vwA41sM.jpg

EwYXVtm.jpg

l5nkZQE.jpg

rkWq1cj.jpg

Size comparisons to my awesome AC.....
2LXzXWd.jpg

Eq4wonB.jpg

We hardly ever get to buy an older Lambsfoot here in New Zealand, unless of course it's from overseas, so I came across these two at different times locally not so long ago, the first one is nothing but a pure Tank - big and fat!
The knife like many other older knives seems to have been crudely re-pinned, and its a pity that the person who did this decided to clean up the Knife by grinding the actual cam of the blade- you can see a bevel upon inspection- the Walk and Talk is nothing to report back Home about.
I do believe however the Blade is original to the Knife- The Spine to Blade thicknesses, patina- just everything matches, its just a shame that it wasnt quite left alone, still........ it was worth picking up just to see it and it will find it's place in a display of the Older Sheffield's when I get to find a long-term display area, I do like the Markings as in the deep Etching, and the early Witness Tang stamp.

vwA41sM.jpg

EwYXVtm.jpg

l5nkZQE.jpg

rkWq1cj.jpg

2LXzXWd.jpg

Eq4wonB.jpg
That's a monster.:eek:

The other Lambsfoot I found was one I bought that I could only just make out the Lambsfoot tip- the rest of the photo was so blurry, and it was a few dollars, so I thought- I might grab this to see just what it is....

Well it is a Taylors Eye witness, but I am not impressed- or am I? I'll explain...
The Knife is obviously made extremely cheaply, very light Plastic moulded Handles, but the Walk and Talk are superb!!!:eek: :eek:
Now I don't think this Knife has a Back Spring- I think it purely has a rail - as seen in Photograph of which the Cam of the Blade simply rolls against?
Has a very cool Witness Tang Stamp.
The Knife locks up very firmly - has no play whatsoever and in fact would make a decent carry, so I may put an edge to this thing and slip it in my pocket, a good knife to lend without worry.
Have any of you have a wee cheapo like this?

IoLOAWJ.jpg

YGfTLAO.jpg

LQRrH8L.jpg

GGAKM4M.jpg

vwA41sM.jpg

EwYXVtm.jpg

l5nkZQE.jpg

rkWq1cj.jpg

2LXzXWd.jpg

Eq4wonB.jpg

It's great to see you here Duncan, and I hope you're keeping well brother :) It's terrible the things some people do to a knife, often it takes place just recent to sale, so is particularly galling o_O I think that's a very interesting knife though, in spite of its wounds. I don't think I've ever seen that 'TAYLOR' blade-stamp before. Thank you for showing it Duncan, and for telling us about the knife :) :thumbsup:

The other Lambsfoot I found was one I bought that I could only just make out the Lambsfoot tip- the rest of the photo was so blurry, and it was a few dollars, so I thought- I might grab this to see just what it is....

Well it is a Taylors Eye witness, but I am not impressed- or am I? I'll explain...
The Knife is obviously made extremely cheaply, very light Plastic moulded Handles, but the Walk and Talk are superb!!!:eek: :eek:
Now I don't think this Knife has a Back Spring- I think it purely has a rail - as seen in Photograph of which the Cam of the Blade simply rolls against?
Has a very cool Witness Tang Stamp.
The Knife locks up very firmly - has no play whatsoever and in fact would make a decent carry, so I may put an edge to this thing and slip it in my pocket, a good knife to lend without worry.
Have any of you have a wee cheapo like this?

IoLOAWJ.jpg

YGfTLAO.jpg

LQRrH8L.jpg

GGAKM4M.jpg

Isn't it interesting to see the difference between these two TEW Lambsfoot models? Taylor's Eye Witness are, of course, one of the very last Sheffield cutlers to still be going, but they've made some questionable choices to stay afloat, they sell far more Chinese-made knives than Sheffield ones, and having given up their old Sheffield factory a few years ago, now exist as little more than a warehousing operation. Knives like this show how some of the Sheffield firms have tried to compete in the modern world, competing on price rather than quality. Rather than "cheap, foreign competition", the main drive to the bottom in the 50's, 60's, and 70's, arguably came from Richard's of Sheffield, whose cheap, clam-shell knives dominated the British market (and who I don't think ever produced a Lambsfoot). It didn't work, and tarnished Sheffield's reputation. I have a knife like that Duncan, sent to me by a very kind friend in New Zealand ;) :) :thumbsup:

GDGLvDk.jpg

M6EFex4.jpg

Here's another TEW cheapie. Same style, but even more recent manufacture I think. I'm not sure why you'd want you advertising on such a cheap product :rolleyes: It's about as far from Sheffield's cutlery traditions as it's possible to get o_O

tVuDYUp.jpg

0bwfJyK.jpg

Last edited:
Good morning Guardians, I hope everyone had a great weekend :) Here we go with another week. Still in our 'half in, half out' lockdown here, and it's miserable start to the week weather-wise. Have a good one Guardians, stay safe out there :thumbsup:

xnHtYGo.jpg

Not a great start to the week, my girlfriend has been told she has to self-isolate for 14 days. As she's a college lecturer, it was inevitable that this would happen at some point. Nobody knows how close the 'contact' is, so hopefully it's nothing to worry about, but it means I'm going to have to be careful too. Not that I have any form of social life left o_O

5F1yv06.jpg

Good morning Guardians, I hope everyone had a great weekend :) Here we go with another week. Still in our 'half in, half out' lockdown here, and it's miserable start to the week weather-wise. Have a good one Guardians, stay safe out there :thumbsup:

xnHtYGo.jpg

Not a great start to the week, my girlfriend has been told she has to self-isolate for 14 days. As she's a college lecturer, it was inevitable that this would happen at some point. Nobody knows how close the 'contact' is, so hopefully it's nothing to worry about, but it means I'm going to have to be careful too. Not that I have any form of social life left o_O

5F1yv06.jpg
Sorry that your week is starting out poorly, Jack.:( Hope it gets better for you and that your girlfriend emerges from her quarantine well. :thumbsup: Really great photo of your wonderful HHB - the stag covers are amazing.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

It's great to see you here Duncan, and I hope you're keeping well brother :) It's terrible the things some people do to a knife, often it takes place just recent to sale, so is particularly galling o_O I think that's a very interesting knife though, in spite of its wounds. I don't think I've ever seen that 'TAYLOR' blade-stamp before. Thank you for showing it Duncan, and for telling us about the knife :) :thumbsup:

Isn't it interesting to see the difference between these two TEW Lambsfoot models? Taylor's Eye Witness are, of course, one of the very last Sheffield cutlers to still be going, but they've made some questionable choices to stay afloat, they sell far more Chinese-made knives than Sheffield ones, and having given up their old Sheffield factory a few years ago, now exist as little more than a warehousing operation. Knives like this show how some of the Sheffield firms have tried to compete in the modern world, competing on price rather than quality. Rather than "cheap, foreign competition", the main drive to the bottom in the 50's, 60's, and 70's, arguably came from Richard's of Sheffield, whose cheap, clam-shell knives dominated the British market (and who I don't think ever produced a Lambsfoot). It didn't work, and tarnished Sheffield's reputation. I have a knife like that Duncan, sent to me by a very kind friend in New Zealand ;) :) :thumbsup:

GDGLvDk.jpg

M6EFex4.jpg

Here's another TEW cheapie. Same style, but even more recent manufacture I think. I'm not why you'd want you advertising on such a cheap product :rolleyes: It's about as far from Sheffield's cutlery traditions as it's possible to get o_O

tVuDYUp.jpg

0bwfJyK.jpg
And its nose is too long!

I do love a good pork pie when i can get one, but it's difficult over here, but when i can i do savor them.
Great photos of your country side.

Make your own! It's really easy. :):thumbsup:

I bet they would David! :D :thumbsup: That's nice David, those are great pics :) I've been thinking of getting one of those storm lanterns :cool: :thumbsup:

I was going to say 'claggy' David, but thought nobody apart from you would know what I was on about! :D Mind you, a lot of it was a lot worse than that, really torn up by off-road bikes, to the point where it was almost impossible to walk on. My trousers are in the wash, and my boots are in a right state o_O The weather looks much more pleasant there my friend :) :thumbsup:

Aye, claggy :D Off road bikes really do churn everything up as there appears no regard for the difference between footpath and bridleway these days.
I love my storm lantern, a real soft light very easy on the eyes; but only used it about three times this year. You've actually just reminded me to search out some fresh wick while there are still shops about to buy that sort of stuff from.

Here's some pics from my walk yesterday :thumbsup:

45GehxV.jpg

We started off by cutting across the familiar Harewood Estate, taking the main path, which is always pretty busy, but then diverting through the woods, and down to Harewood Bridge, of which I've posted photos before.

rWnac2O.jpg

kyjtkQ8.jpg

m51zjfO.jpg

Cracking pictures of your walk there. :thumbsup: Typical England on a typical autumn day. :)

Murky day! :eek: Do you eat your pies cold when you're out and about, David, or do you have a way to heat them?
- GT

Hi GT, I eat them cold. Pork pies are usually sold cold but some butchers/bakers do sell hot ones. These are sold warm but by the time I'd got to lunch they'd cooled off. :thumbsup:

v8qLrIO.jpg

Sorry that your week is starting out poorly, Jack.:( Hope it gets better for you and that your girlfriend emerges from her quarantine well. :thumbsup: Really great photo of your wonderful HHB - the stag covers are amazing.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thank you Bill, it just means that her phone has been in the same area as the phone belonging to someone else who has tested positive, so we're not too worried. Most likely the same thing will keep happening throughout the winter o_O :thumbsup:

Good morning Guardians! I hope everyone had a great weekend and are off to a good start to your new week! I'm carrying my PD Stag big 'un this morning. I hope y'all can remain safe out there wherever you're at! :) :thumbsup:

50583469052_8ac4e33054_o.jpg

Love that patina Ron :cool: :thumbsup:

And its nose is too long!

(Parental Advisory Warning: Contains one expletive)

Aye, claggy :D Off road bikes really do churn everything up as there appears no regard for the difference between footpath and bridleway these days.
I love my storm lantern, a real soft light very easy on the eyes; but only used it about three times this year. You've actually just reminded me to search out some fresh wick while there are still shops about to buy that sort of stuff from.

Cracking pictures of your walk there. :thumbsup: Typical England on a typical autumn day. :)

Hi GT, I eat them cold. Pork pies are usually sold cold but some butchers/bakers do sell hot ones. These are sold warm but by the time I'd got to lunch they'd cooled off. :thumbsup:

v8qLrIO.jpg

I've had a number of walks absolutely ruined by the selfish behaviour David, it can really make a mess of the countryside o_O I've ordered a storm lantern, coming tomorrow I think. Should be handy for out in the back garden :) Thank you very much David, nice cap with your Hartshead Barlow :thumbsup:

Good morning Guardians.
Thanks Jack matey. I don’t think I have seen a blade with just Taylor before either. Hey - it’s a Junker but an interesting Junker. :)

We are sharing the miserable Weather here as well my friend.
Have a wonderful day everyone. :):thumbsup:

Good morning Guardians.
Thanks Jack matey. I don’t think I have seen a blade with just Taylor before either. Hey - it’s a Junker but an interesting Junker. :)

We are sharing the miserable Weather here as well my friend.
Have a wonderful day everyone. :):thumbsup:

I've certainly bought a lot worse my friend, just to get an obscure tang stamp, or a jigging pattern, for example :) Sorry to hear about the weather Duncan, hope it picks up soon mate, Be sure to have a great day yourself :) :thumbsup:

:D:D:D:D:D:D Ya got us. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:;)

Thanks guys :) :) :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I was told by 2 English brothers i know, always cold. Sacrilege to eat them hot or warm

If you heat them up the jelly between the pastry and the filling liquifies. Pork pie is always eaten cold here :thumbsup:

Smashing photo Dwight :) :thumbsup:

Good morning Guardians, I hope everyone's week has got off to a good start. Having spent so much more time at home this year, I always seem to have housework to do o_O Some other work to do too. Not missing much from the look of the weather :rolleyes: Have a good one Guardians, stay safe out there :thumbsup:

jutx5li.jpg

Back