Guardians of The Lambsfoot!

Cheers Jack. Nice post total. Am happy to have added to it. Disregard above.

-Mel

Thanks Mel, I thought you were posting in Polish or something there! :D Hope you'll enter the giveaway :) :thumbsup:

I have plenty, but thanks for the invite. Haven't posted much whilst I get my straight razors in order.

-Mel
Feel free to post pics, so long as there's a Lambsfoot in there Mel, I have a few myself :thumbsup:

I had to go all the way back to post #711 to find my entry into this thread. I honestly had little to no interest in the lambsfoot until our humble leader gifted me one back in 2017. With that gift Jack opened my eyes, as he has done to so many of us, to the wonders of these little knives. This isn't my most carried knife, but on a day to day basis it's definitely my most used knife.

Today, it served to clean the supports off of a triceratops piggy bank I 3D printed for my three year old.

dZaVmfZ.jpg

She might not be as pretty as she was back in '17, but to me she's more beautiful than anything that I've seen in the 2,467 pages between then and now.

Beauty knives everybody. Barrett, I might have to try that choil mod. Is it as simple as getting in there with a needle file and going at it?

As I mentioned in my thank you Jack thread, I am the proud owner of my first lambsfoot!!

GChWSF7l.jpg

I'll not post too many pictures, as I can't hope to compete with the ones that have already been posted. I will however give a quick review of the knife after one day of ownership. I should start this out by saying that it's not uncommon for my latest acquisition to be my favorite knife, and in a month's time things might have changed. I'm only human and novelty plays a factor in my reactions.

Now that that's out of the way, I love this knife. It might just be my new favorite! :p In all seriousness, this A. Wright & Son lambsfoot has seriously impressed me.

At 3.5" it's exactly the wrong size for me. Anything 3.25" and shorter works as a three finger knife, and anything 3.75" and longer works as a four finger knife. 3.5" is awkward because my pinky is half on and half off of the knife. I have never had a 3.5" knife that's been comfortable for me apart from the Case mini sodbuster, until now. The swayback design and bulky wood handle makes this knife oddly comfortable in hand. It's a little disturbing how comfortable this knife is. I've spent a good part of the day playing with the knife and switching between different grips and it's ergonomics are a 10 out of 10 in every single grip that I use regularly. The only other knives that are this comfortable to me are the Lanny's Clip and full sized sodbuster. I was not expecting this knife to be nearly as comfortable as it is.

The walk and talk of this knife also shocked me. It's got a stout pull and if the blade sat any lower or had a mirror finish I don't think I'd be able to pinch it open. As it is, it's got a very satisfying feel and the snap to the full open and closed positions is loud enough to echo in a gymnasium. Using my 23 as a reference, the lambsfoot is about twice as loud! The 23 is no slouch, mind you. The lambsfoot is just authoritative. I like it quite a bit. That strong snap gives the knife an amazingly solid feel in use. There is just no give at all in the blade, which is surprising considering the cam tang. Even my 23 has a little give if I push on the spine of the blade with my thumb while cutting. With the lambsfoot I have to push just about as hard as I can with my thumb to get it to move at all. I don't think I could close it one handed even if I tried. I'm now wondering if this is something that's specific to this knife or if Sheffield slipjoints typically have louder walk and talk than their American counterparts.

This knife has a charm that I've only ever experienced in a sodbuster. It is just a downright honest working knife. There are no frills at all. There is no shield to interrupt the slab of wood on either side of this knife. There is no blade etch to let me know that this is a real lambsfoot. (Does that mean that Jack sent me a knockoff? :eek:) Every aspect of this knife seems very well thought out, and it's perfectly efficient in that there's absolutely no fat in the pattern. I can't think of a single thing I would add to this knife to improve it, and likewise I couldn't take anything away. I keep saying it, but it's very reminiscent of a sodbuster in this regard. I really get a similar feeling from both knives, even though they are very different in appearance.

So far I've only had occasion to use the knife to open some packages and cut up some sausages. However, I'm really looking forward to putting it through it's paces. For the time being it will be riding alongside my Lanny's Clip and getting regular use. I never would have expected this going in. A big thanks to Jack for letting me experience this Sheffield original. I foresee having the need to pick up additional examples.

What a Milestone Jack! So well done, and well done to the Guardians.
Jack you most certainly have re-awoken the Lambsfoot back into existence again which was an astounding effort!

I have been the receiver many times of generosity my friend so not an entry to your give-away- but I wanted to say a massive congratulations matey!

2LXzXWd.jpg

iYxmSPX.jpg

h0bRWLr.jpg

1AFVfzu.jpg

k5HCEUU.jpg

I had to go all the way back to post #711 to find my entry into this thread. I honestly had little to no interest in the lambsfoot until our humble leader gifted me one back in 2017. With that gift Jack opened my eyes, as he has done to so many of us, to the wonders of these little knives. This isn't my most carried knife, but on a day to day basis it's definitely my most used knife.

Today, it served to clean the supports off of a triceratops piggy bank I 3D printed for my three year old.

dZaVmfZ.jpg

She might not be as pretty as she was back in '17, but to me she's more beautiful than anything that I've seen in the 2,467 pages between then and now.
That's a LONG way back Cory :) I think that knife has aged very nicely, and I'm very pleased you hold the Lambsfoot in such high regard :) Great work on that piggy bank buddy :cool: I hope you're going to join the giveaway :) :thumbsup:

What a Milestone Jack! So well done, and well done to the Guardians.
Jack you most certainly have re-awoken the Lambsfoot back into existence again which was an astounding effort!

I have been the receiver many times of generosity my friend so not an entry to your give-away- but I wanted to say a massive congratulations matey!

2LXzXWd.jpg

iYxmSPX.jpg

h0bRWLr.jpg

1AFVfzu.jpg

k5HCEUU.jpg
Thank you very much brother, it has certainly been very gratifying to see so many folks take to the Lambsfoot pattern :) You're as generous as they come Duncan, and please feel to enter :) Thank you fort the great pics, it's great to see all those Lambsfoot knives :thumbsup:

That's a LONG way back Cory :) I think that knife has aged very nicely, and I'm very pleased you hold the Lambsfoot in such high regard :) Great work on that piggy bank buddy :cool: I hope you're going to join the giveaway :) :thumbsup:

I'd be honored and grateful to enter, my friend. I definitely DO hold the knife in high regard, as well as the man who introduced me to it.

Jack, thanks for letting me know about the giveaway in the other thread. I’d love to be included, but I’m very much a noob when it comes to these blades. I’d rather see one of your long standing regulars win the prize.

Here’s a picture of my “big’un and little’un” just for fun.

Last edited:
Hey Jack! A fine GAW honoring a very nice man whom I never had the pleasure of meeting in person. Always enjoyed Ron's posts and our few conversations. He is missed.

Being among the fortunate who received a Big-un in Ebony from you, I will enter with a few older, favorite photos. If I win, please send the prize to Sacto Sacto . I'd like for him to try one out.

egG9OKt.jpg

iYy2LXT.jpg

AkakodX.jpg

3kWCivG.jpg

kt6Sgsg.jpg

eWUAuac.jpg

z5WUziK.jpg

0locfbE.jpg

buRzqkA.jpg

3zvJehA.jpg
Wow. Thank you, Ramrodmb. That’s very nice of you to enter in my name. Great pictures also.

I'd be honored and grateful to enter, my friend. I definitely DO hold the knife in high regard, as well as the man who introduced me to it.
I'll put you in Cory, and please know I value your friendship buddy :) :thumbsup:
Jack, thanks for letting me know about the giveaway in the other thread. I’d love to be included, but I’m very much a noob when it comes to these blades. I’d rather see one of your long standing regulars win the prize.

Here’s a picture of my “big’un and little’un” just for fun.

I hope nobody gets sick of me mentioning it over there Ant! :D I'm sure our old-timers will be happy to see your name in the hat :) Two great-looking knives there :) :thumbsup:
Yes indeed, great effort to be still involved, keeps us Johnies' on our toes.

RALF decided to pose again today, in honor of the 50,000 posts and Ron's memory.

xJ7wvlk.jpg
That's a great image Jeff. RALF is looking tip-top :) Ron particularly liked the 2018 ebony SFO. I was just looking back at my records, and I have photos of everyone's knives before they left Yorkshire :)

Here's RALF when he still had his local accent! ;) :D :thumbsup:

63rdhir.jpg

AIVAEz1.jpg

Few more here, if anyone can spot theirs! ;) :thumbsup:

samU1BE.jpg

This thread often veered toward the Knives & Food
Nothing wrong with that, and for us carnivores that sliced meat you have posted looks devine.:p:p:p
She might not be as pretty as she was back in '17
No No No, there is something about the look of an aged and used knife, they are tools after all. Some of Charlie's photos of his old knives in his collection i just drool over. And it takes time and use to get them to look like that.:thumbsup:

I got in deep mud for not knowing much about a lambsfoot blade here (not this thread). So rookie luck is on my side. Does this count as an entry for the giveaway? Would love to learn more.

Last edited:
Not an entry, since I have already won a beautiful Lambfoot. In fact I used that Lambfoot that I won in post #24 of this immense thread to request membership into the Guardians.
I just wanted to say, Congratulations Jack and to the all the Guardians for a job well done.
Certainly it wasn't always easy but with true Guardian Grit and Gumption you made it, 50,000 posts!!!
An amazing feat of fortitude and yes, good fortune for us all!
Here are a couple of historical post that will always mean a lot to me.

June 26, 2016
Please accept the following pics of this "Reknown" as membership application to the "Guardians of The Lambsfoot". A pattern I hold in ultra-high esteem.

v1KiL0l.jpg

6bNQLbS.jpg

Jack, in your opinion does an Ancient TC Barlow qualify as proper lambsfoot?
Froggy herding over the flock
XnNGKAR.jpg

I look forward to the next 50,000 post. Long live the Lambfoot and it's Guardians!!!

I got in deep shit for not knowing much about a lambsfoot blade here (not this thread). So rookie luck is on my side. Does this count as an entry for the giveaway? Would love to learn more.
Well, we were all new once! :D I got in deep sh@# for quoting a post that contained the word he££. In fact the first time I was threatened with an infraction I had posted four random symbols, like this, $@#£! :eek: The infractions are gone, but the forum rules remain, and the sub-forum guidelines can be found stickied at the top of the page. The edit button will keep you from getting into more sh#& with the mods ;) You're in :thumbsup:
Not an entry, since I have already won a beautiful Lambfoot. In fact I used that Lambfoot that I won in post #24 of this immense thread to request membership into the Guardians.
I just wanted to say, Congratulations Jack and to the all the Guardians for a job well done.
Certainly it wasn't always easy but with true Guardian Grit and Gumption you made it, 50,000 posts!!!
An amazing feat of fortitude and yes, good fortune for us all!
Here are a couple of historical post that will always mean a lot to me.

June 26, 2016

Froggy herding over the flock
XnNGKAR.jpg

I look forward to the next 50,000 post. Long live the Guardians!!!
Thank you James, by coincidence I was looking at your first post here, and admiring Froggy, just a couple of hours ago :) Love that pic! :D :) :thumbsup:

I got in deep sh@# for quoting a post that contained the word he££. In fact the first time I was threatened with an infraction I had posted four random symbols, like this, $@#£! :eek: The infractions are gone, but the forum rules remain, and the sub-forum guidelines can be found stickied at the top of the page. The edit button will keep you from getting into more sh#& with the mods ;) You're in :thumbsup:

Thank you James, by coincidence I was looking at your first post here, and admiring Froggy, just a couple of hours ago :) Love that pic! :D :) :thumbsup:
I'm 69 years old now, so only new to an ever growing smaller number of things.:confused:

Back