Gun for Open Carry while HIking and Home Defense... Revolver?

Matt,

I think any time you involve Grizzlys into the scenarios, everything changes. But, then again, wouldn't you feel more comforable with a .454 Casull if that were the case? I have basically no desire to own on of those things but if I lived in an area where I would be likely to encounter a Grizz...I might think that a worthy investment. :D

My Casull is my favorite gun to shoot, by far! Talk about accuracy. Plus, once you get used to the recoil, EVERYTHING else, including the 44 mag, seems like an air pistol! :D

Matt,

I think any time you involve Grizzlys into the scenarios, everything changes. But, then again, wouldn't you feel more comforable with a .454 Casull if that were the case? I have basically no desire to own on of those things but if I lived in an area where I would be likely to encounter a Grizz...I might think that a worthy investment. :D

True, true...but the .454 casull is much more limited in frame sizes, barrel lengths, etc. And the ammo is a bit more expensive and less common. Hell, why not go for the .500S&W?! That baby packs a wallop, but at a couple bucks a shot it's too expensive to become proficient enough to handle well.

I think the .44 is a nice balance. It's a hand cannon that you can afford to shoot. There are many options available to meet your liking (as far as frame size, action, barrel lengths, etc). There is also a wide array of ammo available in .44. In big bear country, you probably want something hard cast up in the 300 grain arena. I'd hate to stare down a pissy grizz in any scenario, but if I was in an area where I thought there was a good chance of it (for whatever reason) I would actually prefer to carry a lever action 45-70.

If, in reality, the gun is more a personal/home defense weapon, I might look at the s&w M&P 8 round .357. Never shot one, though.

Matt

My Casull is my favorite gun to shoot, by far! Talk about accuracy. Plus, once you get used to the recoil, EVERYTHING else, including the 44 mag, seems like an air pistol! :D

Below the belt!!! Jk, they are awesome. However, you almost need to live in grizzly territory to justify it. Or just really enjoy shooting uber-powerful handguns...which I do!

"Ruger blackhawk single action are cheaper and stronger, they come in 357,41,44,and 45. The 45 comes with 2 cylinders on some models for 45LC and 45ACP."

Since you already have a .45acp I'd go with the Ruger Blackhawk .45LC/.45acp. The .45 LC loaded for the Blackhawk sits somewhere between the .357 and .44 magnums.

S&W .500 magnum :) real stopping power!

Guaranteed to bring a smile to your face with every trigger pull.

Why not a Smith & Wesson revolver in .45 ACP?

The Thunder Ranch 325:

170316_01_lg.jpg

...or 625:

sw625.jpeg

..would be ideal, and you only have one calibre to buy.

maximus otter

41 mag ? while falling into less popularity, is also a worth consideration

I fall into the "theres no replacement for displacemnt" line. The 44 mg is my bread in butter in the woods. While i wouldent turn my nose up at .357 I just find it butter suits my needs and seems more versitile.

I homegrow just about everything except rimfire ammo, so really cost is not a consideration

Don't forget to try out a GP100 with a 4" barrel too. If you like the 686 you may not like the GP 100 but if you don't like the 686 you probably will. Either that or a S&W 19.

As much as I love my Redhawk .44 mag, if I was just woods bumming, I would much rather opt for a solid .357/.38 with a 4" barrel. I enjoy my 3" S&W 686 plus, but to be honest, my general purpose revolver I go to the most often is the simple, robust Ruger GP100. It's an older model (still full lugged) and the trigger is buttery smooth. My daughter started shooting it about 5 years ago and has laid claim...I'll be looking for another used one soon;)

If you can find a lighter weight .44 mag, you can always carry .44 SPL's for lighter trail loads...that would help tame recoil on two-legged predators. My only problem with the .44 is if you don't reload, it can be expensive if you shoot a lot. Although it's more expensive to feed .45 Colt, Ruger's Blackhawk convertible in .45 Colt and .45 ACP is another good option...you can get plenty of trigger time with the .45 ACP and still be able to switch out to carry some pretty stout .45 Colt loads for trail carry if needed.

For summer carry, what I like about revolvers is the ability to carry a shotshell for snakes and you can still have a fast follow up standard load if needed. With most auto's the snake shot loads don't often provide enough pressure to cycle reliably.

ROCK6

If you are looking for a home/field defense gun you already have it. Any autoloader is going to be better than a revolver unless you are very experienced with the revolver. If you want a fun gun in the woods acceptable for perceived dangers go with the SW 686 .357 mag. If you just want a fun gun for the woods, get a .22 LR auto like a Ruger Hunter. Fun and cheap to shoot.

Last edited:
I have a SW 629 .44 mag with a 5” barrel which is an unusual length but gives a little more quickness to it while still long enough for accuracy. The gun is shootable but punishing if you shoot more than a few rounds at a time.

i have this problem also, the .44 mag is a rather large bullet for me to comfortably shoot, i would go with the .357 mag.

then again im built on the smaller side and my hands and arms arnt the biggest

My desire to own a revolver has been itching at my side for a decade. It's one of those things where I'm not 100% sure why I want one, I just do. It's a similar caliber to my XD. My XD holds more rounds, some argue is easier to clean, has more bells and whistles, is lighter, etc. But there is something appealing to me about things that are stripped down to their simplest of forms, where fit and finish is the absolute top priority.

I'm not taking this gun into a warzone. I don't live in a crime ridden neighborhood. I am not a law enforcement officer. The tactical advantages of the XD are selling points that I don't really need. I love the gun and it's been a lot of fun, but I may part with it.

Also, my girlfriends dad is a Police Captain, and I let him borrow it for the last month, and now he loves it and wants to buy it... ;)

I am going to my local gun range today to see what kinds of revolvers they have to shoot. I appreciate all of your input and knowledge.

So, 4" barrel sounds like the most recommended length, eh?

JGON

I have a SW 629 .44 mag with a 5” barrel which is an unusual length but gives a little more quickness to it while still long enough for accuracy. The gun is shootable but punishing if you shoot more than a few rounds at a time.
My experience is the exact opposite. I find the .357 to be more difficult to shoot. The recoil is more snappy where the .44 is a nice push. I actually preferred shooting my dad's 5 inch 629 over my 4 inch 686.

My only advice if you go with a revolver and concealing is not an issue, go with a 4" or longer barrel.

If there is any chance that you might want to hunt larger game (deer, bear, hogs) check with you game department to see if there are any caliber/barrel length restrictions. If it is only for self defense/plinking I'd probably go for a J frame .357/38 in a 3" barrel. Reloaded .38 special is some of the least expensive center fire ammo to be had and there are tons of it laying around. You will need to put in a lot of practice to perfect your double action shooting. In the woods the .357 will handle anything you will find in Wisconsin.

Last edited:
I settled for the New Ruger Vaquero in 45 colt. It has the best feel of any gun i've ever held which means i feel more comfortable with it. Also I don't think you could find a more durable gun than a Ruger revolver.

Am I reading that correctly? You are recommending a Super Redhawk as a backpacking and home defence gun? Also you keep mentioning ballistics. What about 44 Mag's ballistics, make it superior in this context?

If .45 ACP isn't enough to get the job done on a human being, I really can't see where anything else would prove better. Paper is one thing, reality is another. Deer and bear are different as well.

With human threats, the ability to have follow up shots is paramount, above and beyond any real or imagined stopping prowess of the .44 Magnum on humans. Anyone that says, "I won't need a follow up shot" is, well, no need in starting an argument! Darwin will eventually win. :D

Well it looks like I spoke too soon. I had heard wind of this legislation, but never thought it would go anywhere. Looks like Wisconsin is going to be the 49th state that allows it's citizens to carry a concealed firearm!

http://www.wsaw.com/news/headlines/...e_Concealed_Carry_Pass_123940469.html?ref=469

So... Should I still go for the 686 in a shorter barrel length? Does anybody conceal those? Or is it too bulky? I'd be willing to tolerate a little extra bulk if it didn't print.

JGON

Back