GUNSITE

There are also some BM auto Strykers with the Gunsite name and logo.

I think its kind of like Buick being the 'official' car of the Rose Bowl.

And the mftrs could'nt very well put 'Turbo' on a knife product to add appeal could they.

------------------
Regards,
Ron Knight

Yeah I'm crazy, but what do you want me to do about it

Bruce ...

I don't understand that either. I never saw that article. Obviously something is wrong with that article. Not sure as what it really meant. Something might have been mis quoted or wasn't right, don't know! Maybe this is a question for the Gunsite Training Center.

This is what Mark McWillis told me and others via email and I think it was even brought up long ago on the Benchmade Forum.

Steve Harvey mentioned something on this, too. He talked to Mark McWillis regarding this a while back, also.

Can't ask Mark McWillis about this again since he has left Benchmade!

You may want to check out the KnifeForums.com also, there is an on going thread there also on this subject.

Sorry Spark for mentioning this other forum, but I am sure most us here know that forum anyways!

Wish I knew what that article really meant!

Mark

------------------

To get to the bottom of this "official" issue, I e-mailed Benchmade. Their marketing department indicated that the AFCK had been chosen the official Gunsite knife until Gunsite got involved with Cold Steel and their folder subsequently became the "official" folder. Incidently, Mark, I quoted an "advertisement" by Benchmade, not an article. BM also indicated it was as much a promotional designation as functional. Bottom line is the CS knife is at most, the second "official" Gunsite knife. But as Ron Knight stated, that may only be like in Britain where the Queen's official seal appears on everything, indicating the company providing a product to be the "official purveyor of toilet paper to the Queen!" Didn't mean to wet on your campfire, Mark. Someday maybe "Pakistan--Stainless" will be the official Gunsite knife.

Uh ha ...

Mark
smile.gif

------------------

Mark, don't worry about mentioning the "other" site, we encourage cooperation, remember?

Spark

------------------
Kevin Jon Schlossberg
SysOp and Administrator for BladeForums.com

Insert witty quip here

I find that real interesting what Bruce said. I just got off the phone with Benchmade and I was told that the AFCK never did make it as the Gunsite knife. So, the Cold Steel knife is the first!

My thought on this is that the AFCK just might not have been exactly what the Gunsite Training really wanted, especially after they saw Cold Steel's XL Voyager.

As far as steel goes, AUS-8A is a premium steel, just as good as ATS-34 is in my eyes, but Pakastan Stainless, I do not think that will ever come about!

Thankyou, ti

------------------

I was under the impression that the AFCK was never officially adopted as the Gunsite knife because this was around the time GS changed hands from Jeff Cooper to a new group of proprietors. The XL Tanto may have impressed the new owners as a more cost effective knife,

Phil

Maybe we should define "official!" It appears that there are two kinds of "official." The first would be a promotional situation, i.e. Benchmade or Cold Steel get to use the Gunsite name in advertising or on their knives for some monetary compensation. I don't know who would pay who since both are advantaged.
-OR-
Gunsite wants to select a knife of choice to sell in it's gift shop and recommend patrons buy because the instructor is going to use one. In other words, "Class, this is my knife and if you want the best knife for the job, bring one of these to class. Because if you don't you will be handicapped by your choice of weapons!"

I think I can make a case for the first definition. As I stated before, BM used the Gunsite logo in it's print advertisements for the AFCK and Greg Mooney of BM sent me this response to my inquiry about the issue,

"Dear Mr. Woodbury:
The official Gunsite knife is as much a promotional label as a functional label. We were the official Gunsite knife until Cold Steel started working closely with Gunsite.

The Gunsite people feel that the Cold Steel knife is better for their use at this time. Maybe down the road, Benchmade will have another knife that meets their needs."

I'm not sure anyone has made a case for definition #2 because no one has approached Gunsite and asked what their senior edged weapons instructor uses and recommends. And Arnistador indicated he doubted the instructor taught with a Cold Steel.

So was the AFCK an "official" Gunsite knife? Yes it was, BM says so, or Gunsite may have been able to sue BM for illegally using it's logo. Did Gunsite ever teach using the AFCK? We don't know that they did or didn't, and we don't know if they teach using the CS Gunsite knife today.

I can't even say the AFCK was the first Gunsite knife since we don't know if they endorsed one before mid 1995.

ti, maybe you could reveal the name of the BM person who gave you their answer, and you could call them back and ask them if they know Greg Mooney at BM. I bet the person you talked gave his response based on definition #2.

p.s. I just e-mailed "Ted" at Gunsite and asked him a few questions. I will report what he says.

Okay, I did it. I called Gunsite at 520-636-4565 and talked to Terra a fe minutes ago. She did not think the AFCK was an official knife, but to make sure she transferred me to the store and I talked to Lea. She said that they sell the Benchmade AFCK but it isn't and never was Gunsite's Official Knife. The Cold Steel Gunsite Folder is the first Official Knife. She conferred with another while I was on the phone and this was varified.

Just thought I'd let you know. Now, it has been confirmed through Benchmade, Cold Steel, and The Gunsite Training Center.

Mark

------------------

Oh thank God ! Maybe now it can die...Thanks Mark!
By the way what came first the chicken or the egg?

~Keith~

Keith -- according to Genesis its the chicken because God created all the animals within six days; God made Adam on the seventh so the eggs came after
wink.gif

I guess the next mystery to solve is: what's Thunder Ranch's Offical Knife?
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Titan (edited 24 February 1999).]

My wife just gave me an early Christmas present and it was the Cold Steel GS. My question is, what's the purpose of the "jimping" on the back of the blade? Is this purely decorative or does it serve some type of tactical perpose?

Well Ryan if you are talking about the file work then yes it is just for looks. On some knives the file work is used to get a better grip on knife when you choke up on it, But this is NOT the kind of knife you would chike up on so on this knife it is just for looks.

------------------
-Greg Johnson
ICQ#4236341

My first post after registering!!

I own the CS Voyager with the 5" blade and tanto point. I have had it for a couple years now and it is the most used knife I have ever owned. It initially was stiff in opening but has since become quite smooth. I have had no trouble with the plastic clip other then a few scratches. I have been kicking around the idea of getting the CS Gunsite in the 5' blade (CS also makes it in a 4' blade). If the CS Gunsite is made of the same quality as my Voyager (and I am sure it is) I would recommend it to anyone looking for a quality low price folder.

This is a great site, I am glad I found it.

Decado

Both the AFCK and CS-GS are both excellent combative folders that are worlds apart from a design-materials-construction standpoint. IMHO Does it really matter?

Don't quote me but I believe Coke and Snickers are the official soft drink and candy Bar of the Olympic games. How many athletes do you see chugging Coke and chowing down on candy bars.

Don't get caught up in the endorced promotional hype. Choose what you think is the best defensive tool for you.

------------------
Some days are not worth getting out of bed, even with a good attitude

To Marak:

Thanks for pointing out the replaceable Zytel clip on our Field-Lite, Field-Spear series. For reference, if you break the clip, we send you a replacement free of charge.

Happy Holidays.

------------------
Sincerely,
Outdoor Edge Cutlery Corp.

David Bloch

See our Online Catalog at: http://www.outdooredge.com

What is the difference between the Gunsite and the XL tanto? Simple! $10 and a name. The jimping is designed to improve grip, but as someone else already said, this is not a good idea for this knife. There is some grippy texture on the top of the XL handle which works fine for me. Supposedly, the lock is also stronger (5lbs stronger) than the XL, and somewhat tougher to open. Personally, I love my XL Voyager, and have no problems with the clip thus far. Open your Spyderco, then open that big bad XL Voyager. Now THAT is a click! BTW, that isn't a shot at Spyderco. I myself eagerly await a Delica and Endura. Probably gonna get a Dragonfly, too.

I believe the Spyderco Wegner was on tap as one of the contenders to become the official Gunsite knife before the decision was made to go with Cold Steel.

Joel

Back