Half stops. Yay or nay?

For me it depends on the knife. Some patterns I prefer a half stop and others I like none.

I prefer half stops. On non SAKs, it is almost a deal breaker now in terms of me buying the knife. I would not buy a Case or GEC slippie without a half stop.

The last regular slippie I purchased with no half stops was an AG Russell Sowbelly Trapper. It also has a very weak spring. I consider the knife borderline dangerous to use without paying a lot more attention than I normally do when cutting something. Can't stand the knife! That knife has had a great deal of influence on my possible purchases from AG Russell.

Last edited:
I like half stops and would like to see them used more. I won't turn down a knife without them but with them it is definitely more interesting and desirable. I was initially not interested in the GEC #29 until I found out all the blades had half stops.

sometimes yes, sometimes no. It depends on the quality and price of the price. There are some companies that have always put out knives without half stops and I love em and have em in the collection. There is a company that usually puts out knives with half stops and I find myself surprised when I handle one with out the half stop. Customs definitely required, especially given the price associated. It is likely that 94-95% of the slip joints in my collection have half stops.

Customs definitely required, especially given the price associated.

Why? I have a KHnutbuster that is an awesome knife. It has a cam tang, perfectly understandable given that it is Hampton's interpretation of a sodbuster. Sodbusters didn't come with half-stops. The KHnutbuster wouldn't be a better knife if it came with a half-stop.

Half-stops aren't an indicator of quality, they're just a different design.

Why? I have a KHnutbuster that is an awesome knife. It has a cam tang, perfectly understandable given that it is Hampton's interpretation of a sodbuster. Sodbusters didn't come with half-stops. The KHnutbuster wouldn't be a better knife if it came with a half-stop.

Half-stops aren't an indicator of quality, they're just a different design.

well i wouldnt pay for a custom sodbuster, but thats just me. when it comes to custom knives, i have never not had one created but if I was to, it wouldnt have a cam tang. Both customs that I have purchased, had half stops.

If given the choice between half stop and no half stop, I'll take the half stop. That being said, I never have even thought to ask if a knife does or doesn't have a half stop when making a purchase.

Back