Hamon Etching vs. polishing

Thanks for the info on the "surface tension" issue...it's along the lines I had hoped it would be...

So, let me ask a question (for anybody)....

Let's say you have two blades - identically heat-treated (I know, impossible...but for the sake of argument) - and you etch one using the hot-vinegar-rub and the other, a hot-vinegar-soak. (both have "soap" in 'em)

What will the differences be (in both process and result)?

I have done both and lately have been preferring the soak...but, again, not sure why.

(I would really like to demystify some of these things....)

when you rub the solution on it will pool and not remain a uniform covering over the blade. Soaking...well, soaks EVERYTHING the same :)

not remain a uniform covering over the blade - will create an uneven etch.

NickWheeler said:
Oh- btw- People often get tweaked when I put a price on a clay-hardened bowie that's as much as a damascus blade, but like Don H said, I have as much, often MORE time in bringing out a hamon as I do in making a damascus blade.

I've run into this a couple times also, Nick. I've found that people who go mental over stuff like that are less-informed. Then again, I've also had customers who hands-down prefer a good hamon over damascus anyway. It is my prediction that damascus is beginning to wane in popularity, and seasoned collectors are looking for additional features in a knife now, not just what assortment of materials it is composed.

I would think one benefit of the detergent reducing surface tension would be to decrease the tendency of the bubbles sticking to the blade that form while etching, providing for a more even etch. (Dip method, of course....)

This is all great stuff!

I for one will be looking into this a lot more as it really interests me for some reason.

Ive been reading the different grain structures outlines in the link you sent. I know i have ARANIE hamon lines, which is larger grains tructre in the hamon crystal structure. This, I would assume, is an effect of normaliztion processes and not due to any kind of grain growth, as this blade was certainly not overheated.

I am going to put a polished finish on this one, then possibly a few makers here would like to take part in some kind of KITH? Im sure we have at least a few makers who would be willing to do a Clay/hamon creating KITH, where at the end we would all swap, but I would be willing to host a web gallery/tutorial page on my website where we could all submit the detailed HT process, clay process, and polishing process, then we can compare outcomes of hamons based on normalization, clay application, etc. If nothing else, we could surely produce some serious eye candy!

Would anyone be interested in that sort of thing?

TikTock - That would be interesting.A serious knife kith.All blades at least 6", forged or ground,clay treated.Style would be choice of the maker.Photos of the clay work and hamon.Tutorials on the method and materials used.When all blades are finished and posted,the makers are randomly matched to a new knife by a drawing .

count me in. :thumbup:

also...it would be nice to have full documentation of time/temps/details/etc.

Back