Hand sizes

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">... BirGorkha it is very obvious that the handles are longer than the ones you would find on older khukuris ...</font>
I love it that way!

6.25” x 3” --- Novadak
wink.gif
!
7" x 3" --- Tom Holt, Yangdu (according to Pakcik Bill), Mohd
smile.gif
!
7.25” x 3.5” --- Bruce E
7.25"x 4.375" --- Yvsa
7.5” x 3.5" --- Kamagong
7.5” x 3.625” --- Will Kwan
7.5” x 4.25” --- Kuma575
7.75"x 4" --- Howard Wallace
cool.gif
!
8” x 3.5” --- Matt Matheny
8" x 4" --- Billpaxton
cool.gif
!
8” x 4.25” --- Pakcik Bill
8” x 4.5” --- Terry Sisco
8.5” x 4” @ 4.25" --- Roadrunner
8.25” x 4.5” --- Snuffy
8.5” x 4" --- Cougar Allen
8.5'' x 4.75'' --- Scalawag
biggrin.gif

12” x 6” --- Shaq O'Neil (according to Pakcik Bill
confused.gif
!)

Rusty --- Where are you?
Sandy --- How about yours?

wa-(A)llaahu-aa’lam!

Been busy lately, but I do try to look in when I can.
frown.gif

I match Bruce E's sizes, assuming that we're measuring the same thing. I measured from the first crease of the wrist (i.e., closest to the palm) to the tip of the index finger and across the area of the palm just below the base of the fingers.

I'd say that there are a lot of hands bigger than mine represented here, but that we do need to keep in mind that there is also quite a range. In some ways (like this one) it seems to be a good thing that the kamis don't standardize their work completely. Different folks can get different sizes if we keep on top of it.
smile.gif
But I'll second the suggestion that mentioning handle sizes is probably a good idea when discussing individual khukuris.

Paul

------------------
Paul Neubauer
prn@bsu.edu
A tool is, basically, an object that enables you to take advantage of the laws of physics and mechanics in such a way that you can seriously injure yourself.

I'm only 7.5 by 3.5.

With some of these posted hand sizes, maybe a better question would be how many guys on the HI forum still drag their knuckles when they walk...

-Dave

Well Mohd, mine measured 6.75 x 3

[This message has been edited by Sandi (edited 03-21-2001).]

Anchoring the low end:

6.5x3.25"

Mom sez I have my grandmother's hands. I think she meant it as a compliment.

I have to correct myself at this point after reading Paul's post, the length of my hand measured properly is more like 6.5", not 6.25". Which means DocPat and I tie for the low end!
biggrin.gif
I guess it helps if I use a ruler to measure instead of an Otter Box... D'oh.
tongue.gif

I've never had any problems with any of my khukuri handles, though. I did have to modify the handle of my SH-E, which masses about the same -- maybe it's a matter of shape (handle or hand) as well as overall hand/handle size?

Back