Handle Modifications... The Complete Guide (Hopefully)

:). Thanks. This feels like a high dollar knife now. I'm pretty happy with the results. They aren't professional but it's mine

Bighaze, that came out really, really nice.
Any shots of it in/with the sheath?

Not yet, I've actually decided to continue with the finish. It's on my bathroom floor in front of the vent drying right now. The Formbys wasn't holding up as well as I thought it would so I got some Tru-Oil. I experimented with it first on my Mora I rehandled in chestnut and so far am much happier with the Tru-Oil finish. Once I get a substantial coat built up on it, I'll take some more pics and show y'all how it comes out

Not yet, I've actually decided to continue with the finish. It's on my bathroom floor in front of the vent drying right now. The Formbys wasn't holding up as well as I thought it would so I got some Tru-Oil. I experimented with it first on my Mora I rehandled in chestnut and so far am much happier with the Tru-Oil finish. Once I get a substantial coat built up on it, I'll take some more pics and show y'all how it comes out

How many coats are you planning on putting on the scales? I bet you can't get it out of the bathroom door by now...

Edit: actually I wanted up bump this due to all of the new blood around here. I figured they could use this thread to their advantage.

Any chance we could get this stickied?

Hmmm, this thread would almost bring one to the conclusion that some folks consider the factory grips to be slippery............. Great thread, and I learned some useful tips on how to mod my own here a ways back.... I wonder if anyone ever sand blasted them ?

BK-17 scale liners
Looking for advice on material to use.

Looking for 2 millimeter thickness for each side (total of 4 mm added thickness)

Also, looking for good source for new bolts with increased length to accommodate the added thickness.

Any big home improvement store for shower pan liner, linoleum floor tile, vinyl base molding, dvd/xbox/play station case, thin cutting boards (the flexible folding ones), anything pliable and not too sharp. As long as it is a rubber, vinyl, plastic material give it a shot. Once you start looking for possibilities, you will find that things just jump out at you when walking the isles of a store.

For hardware, I would check the same place, lowes if you have one, they seem to have more of an array of products than home depot. But, HD tends to have better pricing.

I just made liners for my 15's with a trip to the dollar tree. Look for the thin plastic 3 ring binders and the cutting mats. The cutting mats are a tad thicker. You will want to stack layers. Think 3 on each side would do the trick for you.

I just made liners for my 15's with a trip to the dollar tree. Look for the thin plastic 3 ring binders and the cutting mats. The cutting mats are a tad thicker. You will want to stack layers. Think 3 on each side would do the trick for you.
:thumbup:

Those cheapo thin plastic file folders and binders work well. You can glue up multiple layers to get the hand-fit perfect.

This thread needs some pitchers! Rubber gasket from the plumbing section at HD:

18689070109_d4477a5519_b.jpg

18687830488_23229cfc32_b.jpg

Not quite 4mm, but plenty thick, IMO. Plus, if you punch out an undersize hole for the screws, it pretty much waterproofs the tang under the scales.

My other one with shower pan liner, also from HD:

18687830488_23229cfc32_b.jpg

14937622179_a01dee829e_b.jpg

^I'll have to try that rubber gasket, good idea^

Here's one, with (I think) 3 layers of each/side: green notebook, cutting mat. It's a little too beefy now, but still good. I'll likely remove one or the other.
20150825_190240_zpsbfdxt8up.jpg

20150825_190350_zps9qnbl93i.jpg

Compared to a normal one...
20150825_190304_zpsfb9evs26.jpg

Orange, being held in place
20150825_190633_zps0oog54xq.jpg

Green and brown looks pretty cool. That's just one layer per side.
20150825_190921_zpsocldetlk.jpg

^I'll have to try that rubber gasket, good idea^

Here's one, with (I think) 3 layers of each/side: green notebook, cutting mat. It's a little too beefy now, but still good. I'll likely remove one or the other.
20150825_190240_zpsbfdxt8up.jpg

20150825_190350_zps9qnbl93i.jpg

Compared to a normal one...
20150825_190304_zpsfb9evs26.jpg

Orange, being held in place
20150825_190633_zps0oog54xq.jpg

Green and brown looks pretty cool. That's just one layer per side.
20150825_190921_zpsocldetlk.jpg

Looks great. Rubber gasket gets rough around the edges. It frays. Would the rubber trap moisture? I saw one with the rubber gasket and it looked good

See below.

Last edited:

Sanded the micarta with 60 grit, great grip when wet. I then dyed then with Cherry Red rit dye for near 20 mins. The coloration is a bit hard to describe, it isn't cherry red but it's not pink, purple, maroon, or anything like those 3... Take a look.

This is the natural patina my 15 is taking on from usage. I am Really liking how that is panning out. Below is a quick shot of my shower pan liners.

Macasser Ebony, stainless pins and butt plate.
Feels like a totally different knife minus all that weight on the ass end. I'm pretty happy with how it came out.

Pretty cool man.

Back