Handles and Large Hands

Those of you with large hands -- what handles work for you?

In the photo below I've grouped some knives that work for me. Runts work with 2-finger grips; BC Jr, Monarch, and Toboggan with 3-finger grips; and I can get my whole hand on the Camp Nessmuck.

This Camp Nessmuck, with its 5 1/3 inch handle, extends all the way to the edge of my palm. The Bear Paw's handle is 5 1/8 inch, and if I choke up a bit, it will extend almost to the edge of the fleshy area at the base of the palm (hyperthenar?), far enough so that the butt doesn't dig into my palm.

Any handle length between Runt and BC Jr/Monarch is just too short for three fingers and too long for two. So no Esquire, Palmer, etc. Any handle length between Toboggan and Bear Paw digs into my hand, though I am basing that judgment on the only Fiddleback (Bushcrafter) I've tried in this handle range. The butt dug into my hand, so I'm reluctant to try any of the many other fine Fiddlebacks with 4 1/2 inch handles.

I'm curious to know what other's experience might be and whether other models might be worth me trying.

I've tried had an Asp, a Bush boot and a Woodsman and they're all works of art. But the only knife that feels truly comfortable in my hands is the Hunter.

The Camp Knife is my favorite handle of all. I am 6'4 and wear a 2XL glove so I know the struggle. The Camp Muk, Bushfinger, Duke and Sneaky Pete all fit my hand as well!

The Camp Knife is my favorite handle of all. I am 6'4 and wear a 2XL glove so I know the struggle. The Camp Muk, Bushfinger, Duke and Sneaky Pete all fit my hand as well!

Thanks, Whitty. Do any of the knives you mention have handles over five inches in length? And what is your handspan (tip of thumb to tip of pinky)?

I've tried had an Asp, a Bush boot and a Woodsman and they're all works of art. But the only knife that feels truly comfortable in my hands is the Hunter.

You're right about each of them being a work of art. One thing that adds to the search is how handle lengths vary not just from model to model, but among individual knives of the same model.

MikeinCali, the Bear Paw would suit you also then. I recently did a really FAT one and it went to KSF yesterday.

I'm not at home and can't measure my hand, but I'd be one that folks would consider to have extra large hands. The Camp Nessie is my favorite and best fitting knife due to the length of the handle and the extra thickness to it.

That being said, for me the thickness of the handle is more important than the length of the handle. Also the butt of the handle's shape is important as well. Models like the Bushcrafter, Arete, KE Bushie that have the rounded butt fit my hand really comfortably even though they might not be long enough. Even smaller knives like the Hiking Buddy are comfy to me since they don't dig into my palm.

Thank you all for you comments. They help. Later today I'll probably have questions for you.

I'm not at home and can't measure my hand, but I'd be one that folks would consider to have extra large hands. The Camp Nessie is my favorite and best fitting knife due to the length of the handle and the extra thickness to it.

That being said, for me the thickness of the handle is more important than the length of the handle. Also the butt of the handle's shape is important as well. Models like the Bushcrafter, Arete, KE Bushie that have the rounded butt fit my hand really comfortably even though they might not be long enough. Even smaller knives like the Hiking Buddy are comfy to me since they don't dig into my palm.[/QUOTE

The Camp Nessie is my favorite too. The additional 1/3" length compared to the Bear Paw handle provides room for all four fingers in the grip I use most: thumb on the side, seated in the curve just aft of the front of the handle. I also agree with you about handle thickness. That's why my Toboggan and BC Jr. are so comfortable; they're actually thicker than my 3/16 Camp Nessmuk and Bear Paw, despite being 5/32 and 1/8 inch respectively. (And, like the Camp Nessie and Bear Paw, the Toboggan is also tapered.) Today I wrapped some fabric around one of the Bear Paw handles to make it thicker, but that didn't compensate for the 5-inch handle being a little short for a full, 4-finger grip.

In-hand photos can be helpful, but sometimes it's difficult to a compare a photo to one's own hand, unless you possess the same model knife. If you get a chance to measure your handspan, I'd appreciate it. For reference, mine is 9 3/4".

I'll take some pics of the grip I use most and how, when using the Bear Paw, i put three fingers on the handle, then tuck the pinky in back. Sticking the pinkie in back avoids crowding on the handle and also reduces the pressure of the handle butt on my palm.

Jim,

Your in hand photos remind me of this photo I found last year.

I 2nd the recommendation that a Camp Knife seems made for your XXL hands. You would also probably like a 12" machete as a cheaper alternative.

Phil

Here are two photos of the grip I use most, adapted to the Bear Paw.

Jim,

Your in hand photos remind me of this photo I found last year.

I 2nd the recommendation that a Camp Knife seems made for your XXL hands. You would also probably like a 12" machete as a cheaper alternative.

Phil,

Now that is a good photo! How many joints does that hand have? I've been wondering about the Camp Knife, admiring the one Skystorm has on the flea market. First, though, I'll have to sell some knives myself to replenish my knife budget. Jim

:eek::eek:
thats what an esquire looks like in my hand.

Funny thing is, Phillip, that blackwood Runt I bought from you last July is one of my favorite and most used knives. Secure 2-finger grip. Gotta be the great Fiddleback ergonomics. Just goes to show, you just have to try as many models as you can.

Funny thing is, Phillip, that blackwood Runt I bought from you last July is one of my favorite and most used knives. Secure 2-finger grip. Gotta be the great Fiddleback ergonomics. Just goes to show, you just have to try as many models as you can.

im glad you like it!

i have a more secure hold on the Runt
F99B2784-9674-43E4-9D7D-576274B67939_zpsuh13ez7y.jpg

Back