Hard to hurt knife

I am kinda new here but me and my husband have been "browsers" for over a year. My husband is always getting mad at what i put my knives through, but for me atleast if i cant count on the knife to be there when and for what i need it i dont need the knife, he also gets upset that the other half of what i base my knives on is appearence and feel, I have to like the General look, I could go into a list of my basic EDC's but that would take a little while, my current/old favorites are the Benchmade stryker, CS recon(tanto) and the CRKT mirage. I have found that these knives can put up with just about any thing i can put them through( much to the suprise of my husband :p), but and here is the question, I am looking for a new knife and am seeking advice.

Lady, Welcome to the forums! Sounds like you are already on the right track. From the knives you list I assume you are asking about folders? I have to agree that "feel" is important to me as well. If a knife isn't comfortable in the hand then it isn't much good to me. I used many of my Spyderco knives pretty hard and they have held up very well. I am sure you will get plenty of great suggestions shortly...

Maybe a little more information as to what you want to use the knife for would be in order. Is it for EDC or for a special purpose. Do you carry the Recon Tanto (that is the fixed blade, right?) as an EDC? That knife would scare the heck out of most of the people around these parts.

By the way, I would also like to welcome you to BladeForums.

:) I normaly carry eithor my recon or my urban shark, most often if i am going to be around people who are not use to me i carry the shark. As for use, every thing , just an all around EDC, like i said my husband is often dismayed at what i use my knives for, every thing from skining to prying, hacking, kitchen work, and just recentily scraping paint, cutting carpet, cutting lanolium, and general demolition, basicaly you could say i put my knives through every thing under the sun... even on occasion digging and dismantiling refigerators :p, i used the recon on that job, didnt hurt the knife a bit i might add :)

Anything Emerson. The Buck/Strider line is also definitely worth checking out.

If you want something tough, the Buck Strider will fit the bill. I prefer the spearpoint, but they also make a tanto. If you want to go higher in price you could look at one of the actual Strider folders. These knives are a real handful. I really do like the way they are built.

The Tops Magnum folders are very strong as well, and will stand up to about anything that you would ask them too.

Since you put your knives through hell and seem to like Tanto Points I would suggest an Emerson CQC7B or Mini CQC7B. I currently carry a Mini as my EDC at work and it has replaced two larger folders. this bugger is tough as nails and has a great comfortable handle shape. if you don't like the looks there are a couple of guys here that can put TI bolsters, annodize liners, polish G10 scales, and all kind of stuff like that. I personally love my Black bladed plain edge MINI CQC7B

Brandon

I like the variety of manufacturer, size, and style of knives you use. You will find a lot of people here agree with you in using knives hard -- what else did we pay all that money for? A wall-hanger?

Since you have one good-sized fixed blade, how about a tough smaller one? Busse Assault Shaker or Microtech Medallion. If you have small hands, the Medallion is ideal.

For relatively cheap, very tough folders, CS Voyagers come in 3" medium and 4" large and 5" extra-large, all in clip point or tanto, and the similar "Nogales clip point" line comes in 3" Lobo and 4" Hombre and 5" Vaquero and 6" Vaquero Grande.

Oh, yessss, how about the really cheap but delicious stuff? Opinel! and Frosts of Sweden.

Lady Leoness - Welcome to BF. If you're looking for a bomb - proof folder, you might want to try the Al Mar SERE 2000. You would have to try very hard to hurt that one.

Welcome to the forums.
Judging from what you do with a knife, maybe you really need a multi-tool (one with a plain-edge, a serrated edge, and a saw)?

Otherwise, I would also recommend the Buck Strider.

Good luck,
Allen.

Thank you for the suggestions, as for the multi tool, i carry two of them, one of them and my favorite is a smaller gerber, dont know much about it, i stole it from my husbands collection, i use it constantily also, i am currentily in the midle of restoring the house we just bought, so i have no shortage of uses for knives and mulit tools alike :) my husband also recomended top, my biggest problem is there is no decent knife store in this town, we just moved here from San Diego, and small town is the only way to describe it. so i dont have much of a chance to handle them before i buy one.... but i am going to research the ones you guys are recomending, mostly the mini's i forgot to say, most of my folders are mini's i do have small hands. my husband wants me to get a smaller fixed blade, something easier to carry quietly than my recon.

If you want a small fixed blade that is tough as nails, consider the Blackjack Small. It's an awesome knife and it's very easy to carry.

Here is a link to some pics and specs:

http://www.knifeware.com/blacsmal.html

I don't work for and am in no way affiliated with knifeware or Blackjack, I'm just ane extremely pleased customer....

You might consider a MT LCC to rotate carry with your Stryker (one of my favorites, also). The LCC is perhaps a step up appearance- wise, but is similar in size and "feel" to the BM. And, judging from your activities, you would probably benefit from carrying a good multitool in addition to your knife. The Leatherman line is excellent.

If you're looking into a small fixed blade, there are a ton of options. Strider MFS or WP2, Buck/Strider Solution, or even a TOPs fixed blade. You can also get a really nice handmade knife for at or below 50 bucks. Newt Livesay makes some nice ones. I don't know if they're still available, but bladeart.com had some good looking Grecos like the Greco Cub for 50 bucks, I believe.

I've never owned any of these knives; my impressions come from reviews I found around here. Grain of salt :D ...

Zero

My husband just read the thread, and is already bugging my to get off the comp for a min so he can look them all up to show me :). he says the gerber multi that i carry is the 400, and he has several leatherman tools, i take turns stealing them all :p

I was kinda looking at this knive any input, i like the look, but i dont know much about it, except that all my other CRKT knives do good.

CRKT Companion CR-2273BK
Length, Overall: 8.56"
Blade Length: 3.56"
Blade Material: AUS 6M
Handle Length: 5.0"
Handle Material: POM
Weight: 6.5 oz
Sheath Material: Zytel

The CRKT Companion is a good fixed blade but the sheath sucks.

How about one of the smaller Striders? You did say you're looking for a knife that was hard to hurt. How about the MFS?

sounds like you need to buy some heavy duty tools:D

how do you carry your recon?

Back