1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Kizer C01C Sheepdog Ki4488A & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Dec 14 !

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Dec 15 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Hard Use Folder?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Lenny, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Lenny

Lenny

Oct 15, 1998
    Yep, I'm looking for one.
    Less than 4" blade, less than $150.
    What can you recommend?
    Thanks

2. anthonycastorena2014

anthonycastorena2014

Nov 27, 2014
    Hands down Cold Steel Ultimate Hunter. If you legitimately want or need hard use this is the way to go. Pretty much anything with the triad lock, the UH just so happens to be my favorite model. I have used it on everything from tape to wild boar.

3. Turbo4x4

Turbo4x4 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 4, 2011
    Emerson CQC-7...

anthonycastorena2014, DGI and Lapedog like this.
  4. 115Italian

115Italian

Nov 13, 2015
    How hard are you looking to use it? Looking for a beater? Rat 1 is a good inexpensive option. Triad locking folders from cold steel are another option. Spyderco manix.

insta9ves, DGI and daq421 like this.
  5. AF

AF Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 14, 2000
    Cold Steel SR1. It's a beast but can still be carried comfortably.

insta9ves, fielder and DocJD like this.
  6. aleforme

aleforme Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 21, 2013
    Agree w/ the Cold Steel recommendations above. I would also suggest the ZT 0350 if you don't mind an assisted opener and a recurve blade. They are built like a tank.

7. midnight flyer

midnight flyer Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Bought one of these myself a few months ago and immediately took it to the job site to go to work. Probably one of the best working knives I have ever owned. Plenty of handle for me to hold on to, comfortable when working with gloves, and of course the bomb proof locking system. And there are even a few left out there in the great Carpenter steel. Best of all... they are available for about $110. I like this knife so much I just might buy another one.

Robert

8. knoefz

knoefz

Mar 20, 2009
    Love my Lionsteel SR2a for heavy folder tasks.
    [​IMG]

9. JD Mandrell

JD Mandrell Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 20, 2001
    Lots of choices in that range of specs. Some of my favorites that fit that description are:

Cold Steel Recon 1
    Kizer GTi
    Pohl Force Bravo Series
    Buck/TOPS CSAR-T

10. daq421

daq421 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 11, 2018
    How much less than $150? Because the Zero Tolerance 0350 is right at that price and is a phenomenal knife.

115Italian likes this.
  11. T.L.E. Sharp

T.L.E. Sharp I support the 3rd amendment! Platinum Member

Jun 30, 2016
    This is what immediately came to my mind too. Cold Steel sort of has the "affordable tank of a knife" market cornered. The UH would be my choice.

12. SharpPancake

SharpPancake

Dec 30, 2018
    What do you mean by hard use?
    Prying? (I hope not). Batoning ? (I hope not). Beating on a knife blade with a hammer? I guess I am a bit weird, but no matter what, for some jobs are just better fixed blade knife (even Mora has no lock and no pivot, you get what I mean).

But Cold Steels are durable, so is PM2, Manix 2 and many others.

RoachBelly44 likes this.
  13. afishhunter

afishhunter

Oct 21, 2014
    Standard Buck 110.
    If you want upgraded steel, the Buck Custom Shop offers S30V.
    A couple dealers like SK Blades and Copper and Clad have the 110 with, among other steels, CPM-154 (SK Blades) and 5160 (C&C).
    I have a SK Blades 'Gentelman' 110 on order.
    CPM-154 blade, Nickle Silver bolsters and liners, with black G10 covers.
    'The Fox' is the same, but has orange G10.
    Both are under $100

14. marrenmiller

marrenmiller Basic Member Basic Member

Apr 6, 2017
    Recon 1, American Lawman, or maybe the Ultimate Hunter. If you want something gigantic, the SR1 isn't a bad option.

15. pinnah

pinnah

Jul 28, 2011
    I'm carrying my Aluminum & Micarta 110 from Copper and Clad and while it has beaten out my Opinel #9 for EDC this past year, and while I've owned a 110 since the 70s and have logged more time with them than any other knife, I wouldn't call them a good "hard use" knife.

Repeated hard cuts can wear down the lock bars or damage the pivot pins, leading to lock rock. Hard prying cuts can create blade wobble.

This isn't my video but it's consistent with my experience with the Opinel. I prefer the #9 or #10.

Fisher1573 and thebrain like this.
  16. clearkevin

clearkevin Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 7, 2014
    Cold Steel Ultimate Hunter. Recon 1, or SR1 will be great hard use options as folders as mentioned above real hard use should be done with a fixed blade but these will be very good

17. PirateSeulb

PirateSeulb Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 6, 2017
    I personally am not a big CS fan but I will admit they are a contender at least while the wish list is a little vague or open. If you could clarify what you mean when you say hard use that might help say if there are some other options. What size limits do you have besides under 4" is weight a concern?

18. Spikediesel

Spikediesel Spare time SAK builder Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Apr 14, 2018
    2nd hand Spyderco Shaman off the exchange, they are super beefy!

19. Comeuppance

Comeuppance Fixed Blade EDC Emisssary

Jan 12, 2013
    Lots of good suggestions in here so far that have already hit the nail on the head. I’m coming in late to the party to redundantly recommend the Cold Steel American Lawman. One might also look at the AK47 and Code 4. I would normally just said the Recon 1, but... that’s a 4” blade.

Cold Steel makes excellent knives for people that anticipate just absolutely beating the hell out of their cutting tools. They’re almost never high-efficiency cutting tools like Spyderco knives, but I also wouldn’t feel safe stabbing a car hood or cutting through a meat boot (as one often does in daily life) with a Paramilitary 2.