1. Our COVID-19 response can be found here

Hard Use Folder?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Lenny, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Gideons

Gideons Basic Member Basic Member

Dec 9, 2015
    Are you going to do a spine whack 'test' right away? How important is that test to you?

2. Shadowedhand

Shadowedhand

Dec 4, 2019
    I may put up to moderate pressure on the back of the blade to see if it folds and I may tap the back of the blade on something to see if it folds, but I don't want to hit it hard and damage it.

It is only important if it seems like an issue I would encounter during normal use, but I am not going to test it to failure.

3. Gideons

Gideons Basic Member Basic Member

Dec 9, 2015
    You are going to be putting pressure on the spine during regular use? I would just say, I would 'test' on the back of your hand with some light pressure. If you're determined to do "spine whacks" I would use the knife and let the lock settle before doing that.

Shadowedhand likes this.
  4. Shadowedhand

Shadowedhand

Dec 4, 2019
    That is what I had in mind. I've never had an issue stabbing, cutting with a liner lock, even with cheaper knives. I will test it and see if it passes what I deem "normal use".

5. Chronovore

Chronovore Basic Member Basic Member

Aug 29, 2019
    "Hard use" is a spectrum and I'd agree that past a certain point, it's better to go with a fixed blade. Some folding knives are sturdier than others. Some can withstand more force against the locking mechanism than others. They're all still folders. It's like the difference between a gate and a wall during a siege. It needs to be strong but don't expect miracles.

I was doing a little research on heavier-duty folders recently and I heard good things about the Tuyaknife Bruiser and Talisman. I don't speak the language but here is a fun "hard use" video of the former:

6. SteelPanther

SteelPanther

Nov 9, 2019
    manix 2

7. Black Oak Bladeworks

Black Oak Bladeworks Gold Member Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Gold Member

Jun 5, 2019
    I would recommend cold steel for a slightly cheaper option, I like what I have experienced with them so far. The broken skull is a little long, but its pretty slim so I think it would fit your parameters. I would also recommend the spyderco Manix 2XL. Its been a great knife for the money in my experience. Good luck!

8. Basp2005

Basp2005

Dec 6, 2015
    I honestly don't have a "hard use" folder. My folder is pocket jewelry to talk about with other knife guys and enjoy. This is my hard use knife.
    [​IMG]
    Hard use folder, I would recommend an Cold Steel Triad lock.

DocJD likes this.
  9. CW308

CW308

Oct 25, 2019
    EX - 01 by Hogue , EX for extreme . Worth a look .

10. Roobarb

Roobarb

Aug 21, 2019
    Used Benchmade Crooked River ?

11. unwisefool

unwisefool Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 22, 2007
    Is using a knife to cut wood considered hard use? We used to have to do the same thing in boy scouts when I was a kid with a Swiss army knife and never had anyone break a knife or have it shut on their hand.

Gideons likes this.