Has anyone bent the tip of their 9 ?

Some how the tip of my bk 9 got bent alittle doing some wood splitting battoning. Not sure what I did.

I was able to bend it back straight again

Looking at it, that swedge makes the very tip very thin. I wish it didnt have the swedge cut

Im going to have to be careful with the tip of this thing

I pounded the crap out of my BK9 as my main chopper for close to 20 camp-outs, never bent a thing.

bending hardened steel back and forth doesn't do it any good. I have never bent a bk either. I am interested in seeing what members say.

I have pounded the tip of mine into the top of cut oak logs and used it as a carry handle. No issues.

Don't have a 9 but I've beat the living crap out of my 15 and it's really thin and never had a single issu

Some how the tip of my bk 9 got bent alittle doing some wood splitting battoning. Not sure what I did.

I was able to bend it back straight again

Looking at it, that swedge makes the very tip very thin. I wish it didnt have the swedge cut

Im going to have to be careful with the tip of this thing
You could tear up a crowbar:D

I haven't had any problems out of my 9 and I'm a stabby kind of guy. The tip of the 9 is far from what I call a fragile one. Post some pics....

Last edited:
Pictures are after I bent it back. About the size of a finger tip or thumb tip, was bent. It was Just bent a little, maybe 10 degree or so.

I bent it back immediately after it got bent, so no bent pics.

The tip on my BK10 is alot thicker than my 9.

Ok, Now everyone must post a picture of their BK9 Tip thickness !

IMG_1146_zpsu7ahn5mf.jpg

IMG_1148_zpsedw2mxki.jpg

Was bent to the left (below), now its pretty straight again
IMG_1143_zpsxksunlwf.jpg

IMG_1149_zpsnpwk1hoz.jpg

IMG_1151_zpseqebnkx9.jpg

You can see the paint at the tip kinda chipped off at the high point from working the bend out
IMG_1155_zpsic9830jz.jpg

IMG_1141_zpsyt8ecj98.jpg

Last edited:
I am certainly no expert but if the tip bent and you were able to bend it back, it almost sounds like it isn't tempered properly... The 9 is a stout blade, even at the tip despite the swedge, I would be hard pressed to get it to bend. I would think it would break before bending, which makes me wonder about the heat treat...

^^^^^^^^^^^^^Yup, what he said ! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

If properly heat treated, it should have gone back by itself, but, that being said, I have an Old Hickory Cleaver that i bent pretty badly chopping a stick. I was able to pound it back with no breakage & am still using it to this day------except only in the kitchen now.

Well it's quite obvious that you use that 9. That wear looks gorgeous. Nice!!!

Well, you bent it back to where it doesn't even look it was even bent to begin with!

Not a 9 but a seven.
Bent right back.
Still using that blade.

Did that spring back its self when pulled out of the log, or did it stay bent and you had to physically bend it back?

Someone posted an Esee 6 that they bent almost to a 90 degree

Any basic carbon steel with a good heat treat will bend like that and come right back to true. If you bent the tip and it stayed that way, then surely it's a heat treat issue. You can run a file down the edge of your spine and see if it skates off of it...

Did that spring back its self when pulled out of the log, or did it stay bent and you had to physically bend it back?

Someone posted an Esee 6 that they bent almost to a 90 degree

Bent back as soon as it was out.

sounds like it isn't tempered properly..

Yup, what he said ! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

If properly heat treated, it should have gone back by itself,

If you bent the tip and it stayed that way, then surely it's a heat treat issue.

You guys making me think I have a dud. Maybe I should have left it bent, but in the shock of the moment I tried to bend it back right away. Didnt even think to take a picture or that it had a heat treat problem.

I use my knife on my property and on hikes, but I dont abuse it, I take care of it and wipe it down with oil and store it in a azwelke sheath that I also keep clean

It holds a edge really well. Ive only had to sharpen it once on a stone and touched it up in a ceramic stone once. It doesnt get nicks in the edge. Only once when I hit some old smashed wire fencing buried in some brush did I get a couple nicks that stoned out real easy. I dont hit the ground with it either, or stab it into the dirt

Last edited:
You guys making me think I have a dud. Maybe I should have left it bent, but in the shock of the moment I tried to bend it back right away. Didnt even think to take a picture or complain that it had a heat treat problem.

I use my knife on my property and on hikes, but I dont abuse it, I take care of it and wipe it down with oil and store it in a azwelke sheath that I also keep clean

It holds a edge really well. Ive only had to sharpen it once on a stone and touched it up in a ceramic stone once. It doesnt get nicks in the edge. Only once when I hit some old smashed wire fencing buried in some brush did I get a couple nicks that stoned out real easy. I dont hit the ground with it either, or stab it into the dirt

Considering how much wear your 9 has, I seriously doubt it has a bad heat treat considering how noticeable those usually are, and considering your comments about it holding an edge well I don't see any reason to assume it's heat-treat related. That being said, not sure what else would cause a bent tip, but since it looks like you got it back to true just make sure to never do whatever you did to cause it to bend again.

Like KingMC KingMC said above, considering the amount of use you have subjected that blade to, a bad heat treat would have manifested itself a lot earlier I would think. Still gives one cause to wonder though...

Back