Hats & Knives

Thanks for the suggestion, Vince; I'll have to make a "Panama hat" an option to explore. :cool::thumbsup:
And thanks for explaining the "X" for cowboy hats; like Jer, I'd only seen it as a size indicator, but couldn't imagine there would be such a range of sizes (and why not just use "7 3/4" like for other hats, where I assume it represents head circumference in inches). What is the range of X quality ratings, anyway? 1X-10X? 1X-100X?

- GT

Thanks for the suggestion, Vince; I'll have to make a "Panama hat" an option to explore. :cool::thumbsup:
And thanks for explaining the "X" for cowboy hats; like Jer, I'd only seen it as a size indicator, but couldn't imagine there would be such a range of sizes (and why not just use "7 3/4" like for other hats, where I assume it represents head circumference in inches). What is the range of X quality ratings, anyway? 1X-10X? 1X-100X?

- GT
I think for felt hats I've seen 2X or 3X on the low end, and at least 100X on the high end. There may be 500X, for all I know. The 6X are in my price range ($200-250). I think with straw hats the higher the X the better the quality. But they are less expensive than felt. There are lots of Panama hats, and straw hats, for a reasonable price. I would recommend being fitted, if you can. In other words, don't order online. I've had a couple of felt hats, and I wear a 7 1/8, but that is usually too small for me in a straw hat. My fitted baseball caps are 7 1/2, but I have to try them on because there are slight differences between hats.

I have a felt Stetson 6X hat. The higher the X, the better quality hat--that is, the higher percentage of beaver fur. A 30X hat would cost more than a 6X, for example. But a cowboy hat may look out of place where you live. How about a Panama hat? Very cool in summer and looks great anywhere. I'm think of getting another one (had a nice one when I was younger).
View attachment 1161559
Panama hats are good, always plenty of options though:D

Here's my Akubra stylemaster in carbon grey with a big hunter.
f2KOd1.jpg

- GT
Also with straw hats, the higher the X , the tighter the weave and the more they cost. Just like the x's in Beaver felt , the more x's, the more percentage of beaver felt which is mixed in with the wool felt. My 100 % Beaver felt hats are just that, all Beaver which makes them lighter and more water repellent. They also cost between 500 and 600 bucks if I recall. With that said,my very best hat and one I really like is the one that my wife bought me at the Quarter Horse Congress, in Columbus,Ohio. It is a Resistol 10x Beaver, think she paid about $250 for it . The one I wear the most is my 100% Beaver, custom made, which takes on more beauty as it gets dirty, wet, and stained which builds character just like a fine knife when being used instead of being a show piece for somebody else to enjoy after we start pushing up daisy's. Other fine hats to be considered and well worth it are the Akubras from Australia. I have a collection of those as well. They are made from Rabbit hair which is tightly woven, making them very light weight and water repellant and there are many different styles to choose from on the David Morgan's web site. I believe I even bought my Panama hat from them. Check em out. You won't be sorry.

Here ya go. Here is my Genuine Panama hat from the Angelo collection, hand woven in Equador . It is adorned with my GEC's on a nice Monday morning.
XSrNQsH.jpg

Very nice.
Yep as you know panama's are for Eucador & graded by the tightness of the weave.
From what I understand rhere is no standard set like xx's but most manfactures use a grading like medium, fine, super fine etc.

Yep the akubra's are rabbit and handle the water well, a lot of rhe bands are roo.
I'll have to get some of my summer 1's out and take some pictures
Cheers
Mitch

Very nice.
Yep as you know panama's are for Eucador & graded by the tightness of the weave.
From what I understand rhere is no standard set like xx's but most manfactures use a grading like medium, fine, super fine etc.

Yep the akubra's are rabbit and handle the water well, a lot of rhe bands are roo.
I'll have to get some of my summer 1's out and take some pictures
Cheers
Mitch
Good deal, looking forward to seeing your pictures. I forgot about their hats made of Roo. Great hats.

img_0675-1.jpg

My thirty year old Royal Stetson fedora and companion. They are often together. Having now a bald “chemo head” it’s important to keep it in the shade. Love this hat! I wear it year round.
Very nice hat and you have one of them there knife things that I want and can't get.lol Being a fly fisherman too,I see that fly as catching some nice Trout and Bluegill.Great picture layout.

Very nice hat and you have one of them there knife things that I want and can't get.lol Being a fly fisherman too,I see that fly as catching some nice Trout and Bluegill.Great picture layout.
Thank you sir. Frankly, I am surprised at the usefulness of the Ram Foot. It’s in my pocket now.

I’ve been a fly fisher and tyer for over 30 years (seems unreal to me now) and fishing mainly for trout in the west. That fly in the hat was given to me by a brother-in-law who found it in a yard sale in Aspen. Even so, it would catch fish.

Thank you sir. Frankly, I am surprised at the usefulness of the Ram Foot. It’s in my pocket now.

I’ve been a fly fisher and tyer for over 30 years (seems unreal to me now) and fishing mainly for trout in the west. That fly in the hat was given to me by a brother-in-law who found it in a yard sale in Aspen. Even so, it would catch fish.
Watch out. lol, I made the mistake of telling somebody that I was a fly tier and she wanted to know how I held the fly down in order to tie it. Da !

Back