Hats & Knives

Well for cattle work we use these plastic things that Doug (look careful ya can see his knife) is holding. We call em a paddle. The red plastic part is hollow and has some hard plastic beads in them. They rattle pretty good.

IsR5TNB.jpg
My Principal in school had one of those. I know.

No wonder THEY work, old bovine probably thinks it's a RATTLER.:eek:;)
Not to mention they're tough enough for a good swat when needed. I'm from the east coast (very rual Appalachia)of the U.S. and generally we can pasture more cattle on less land than out west. Better grass, anyway we often are able to round cows up on foot. We would use a hickory sapling about 4-5 feet long stripped of its limbs and bark. Swing it hard behind them near their feet,makes a loud SWOOSH, and when needed a switch to the rump. Sometimes we'd have about 2-3 foot leather or cord thong tied on the end, pop it like a whip. I'm all hat and no cattle nowadays though lol, speaking of which, its felt season again
2WToAMo.jpg

Edit: looking closely at the pic,I say I need to break out the hat brush as well,lol.

Last edited:
My gear for the day!! Heavy enough HAT to keep off the drizzle that often falls in the rainforest!
And what can't be accomplished with TWO LambFoot knives??:D
And my latest turqouise by mrknife!! Look out world! I'm ready!!
View attachment 1214688
Styling indeed !!! You can tell by the way I use my walk...I'm a ladies man...no time to talk :D Bee Gees music blaring ;)

In camp at a show:

mRzpDGg.jpg

KZe7gWW.jpg

In the booth:

8MCgFEl.jpg

pONgqox.jpg

Where's the beef, back in camp:

Pmfn5Sn.jpg

RMpT6AE.jpg
I notice the boots the girl's have on.They look really comfortable. Do they make a style like that for men ? It's hard for me to wear cowboy boots anymore because of my back.

I notice the boots the girl's have on.They look really comfortable. Do they make a style like that for men ? It's hard for me to wear cowboy boots anymore because of my back.

Yes sir. All three are wearing a boot brand called Twisted X. Cara and Emma, the two taller gals, have on their driving mocs. Stupidly comfortable, many many cowboys put them on once they get down off the horse. My son calls them heaven on the feet. I was wearing a pair yesterday and probably will again today. Nichole has on a crepe soled slip on work boot that in cowboyese are often referred to as lettuce pickers. We were working our booth at this show which means sometimes standing for long periods of time. Comfy for that but not particularly great for lots of walking, too loose fitting. I wear a pair when grinding knives as I might be standing at that grinding bench for 8 hours at a time and on concrete.

Wonderfully outfitted women!! I like the flash of Turquoise on that horizontal knife sheath, Dave!!
Is that well-dyed leather or an overlay of some kind???

Yes sir. All three are wearing a boot brand called Twisted X. Cara and Emma, the two taller gals, have on their driving mocs. Stupidly comfortable, many many cowboys put them on once they get down off the horse. My son calls them heaven on the feet. I was wearing a pair yesterday and probably will again today. Nichole has on a crepe soled slip on work boot that in cowboyese are often referred to as lettuce pickers. We were working our booth at this show which means sometimes standing for long periods of time. Comfy for that but not particularly great for lots of walking, too loose fitting. I wear a pair when grinding knives as I might be standing at that grinding bench for 8 hours at a time and on concrete.
Many Thanks Dave.

Whatever happened to the rodeo clown boots, cowboy boot tops over athletic shoe bottoms, usually red and white or green and white? I always wanted a pair of those , but when I checked at my Western clothing supply store, was told they no longer mades them.

Whatever happened to the rodeo clown boots, cowboy boot tops over athletic shoe bottoms, usually red and white or green and white? I always wanted a pair of those , but when I checked at my Western clothing supply store, was told they no longer mades them.
I don't know. I believe I did see Cody wear them in the PBR while he goes up against the bulls. Those guys have to move fast. I had friends that rode bulls but the closest I got was training on a 55 gal drum on garage door springs. When all was said and done, I couldn't walk for a week. I liked the rodeo sports where you didn't have to get off the horse. Thanks to Dave,I am already doing a search for the Twisted X boots. I see they have quite a few designs that I like.In fact,you may want to look. I believe I remember seeing a boot similar to what you are talking about.

Wonderfully outfitted women!! I like the flash of Turquoise on that horizontal knife sheath, Dave!!
Is that well-dyed leather or an overlay of some kind???

Its an antiqued, turquoise Italian croc (really just embossed cowhide) inlay. Just made her a holster for her Kimber for her birthday using the same croc as an overlay. All three belts are water buffalo as is the wife's pancake sheath.

Same. I have a pair of Ariat laceups that are so comfortable on my feet but wear down my back after a day of walking around. These days I'm mostly wearing Merrell Mid Top Hikers, very comfortable and light, yet still rugged enough to get some work done.

Back